Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 220878 times)

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
The win against the Pelicans has Joe clinging to his job by his fingernails...surely he will be given his marching orders after our next loss, so we can get the coach we deserve. Stan Van Gundy is available isn't he? Maybe he and his brother can do a co-coach thing with us  :angel:

Yes, the Vangundy brothers. Please.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2543
There have been a few end of quarter/half plays recently that have broken the iso-mold - one in particular led by Pritchard breaking down the defense and finding the open man. 

Also, I think it’s fair (somewhat) to view the second Atlanta game a little differently.  They did head into the last possession in regulation with the lead and they did make the go-ahead basket in OT with 6 seconds left.  Atlanta did what all NBA teams are capable of in their last possessions - they tied the Cs in regulation and they won the game with a very nice midrange with .01 remaining on OT. Point being the Celtics played well enough in the last minute(s) to win that one.   

Overall, it’s worrisome but I can’t wait for the playoffs.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738
Tough position for Mazzulla. If he doesn’t win every game, including a title, all we will hear is see I told you he was a bad coach.

I accuse Joe of being a bad coach for very specific reasons, not based on him not "winning every game".
His offensive philosophy and strategy are the #1 problem, his relative lack of emphasis on defensive intensity compared to Udoka being #2, his poor in-game management decisions #3, his lack of player accountability #4 and his arrogant stubbornness being #5.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1827
Tough position for Mazzulla. If he doesn’t win every game, including a title, all we will hear is see I told you he was a bad coach.

I accuse Joe of being a bad coach for very specific reasons, not based on him not "winning every game".
His offensive philosophy and strategy are the #1 problem, his relative lack of emphasis on defensive intensity compared to Udoka being #2, his poor in-game management decisions #3, his lack of player accountability #4 and his arrogant stubbornness being #5.

#1 problem...#1 offense in the NBA.  #2 problem...#2 defense in the NBA.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Boom. Roasted!  :laugh:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Saint Joe

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738

Not so fast my friend ............

I know all about our current regular season rankings. We have seen this before.

The fact remains we lose games we should not because of the reasons I listed. We chronically become stagnant on offense in the 4th quarter in close games. What do you think we are going to be dealing with in the playoffs ? Play slows down, defense is more intense and is dialed in to attack a team's tendencies due to scouting, multiple games and more focused coaching. Joe's one-dimensional approach combined with the J's low BBIQ will be a problem. Tatum shows no sign of cutting back on his bad shot selection. Why he is out front with the ball on so many half-court possessions when we have two very good playmaking guards is beyond me. Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs !!

Having said all that, I hope that I am wrong.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25615
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not so fast my friend ............

I know all about our current regular season rankings. We have seen this before.

The fact remains we lose games we should not because of the reasons I listed. We chronically become stagnant on offense in the 4th quarter in close games. What do you think we are going to be dealing with in the playoffs ? Play slows down, defense is more intense and is dialed in to attack a team's tendencies due to scouting, multiple games and more focused coaching. Joe's one-dimensional approach combined with the J's low BBIQ will be a problem. Tatum shows no sign of cutting back on his bad shot selection. Why he is out front with the ball on so many half-court possessions when we have two very good playmaking guards is beyond me. Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs !!

Having said all that, I hope that I am wrong.

Yeah. 

Last year:  2nd Off Rtg; 3rd Def Rtg; 1st Net Rtg
This year:  1st Off Rtg; 3rd Def Rtg; 1st Net Rtg

But, last year we had four blown leads of 10+ that resulted in losses, in addition to the collapse before the Derrick White miracle.  Meanwhile, our defense cratered to 10th out of 16 teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
I draw conclusions about playoff success from past playoffs more than I do meaningless regular season games.
There’s something wrong with the make up of this core when it comes to crunch time close games and it only gets worse the bigger the game is so unless they can front run and dominate there way to a title im not loving there chances
You don't believe that the core of the team is fundamentally different this season?
I asked ScarryJerry earlier in the thread, but I'd put it to everyone else talking about their performance in last year's playoffs as well: do you feel that the core of the team is fundamentally different from last year through 75+ games? If not, why not?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I draw conclusions about playoff success from past playoffs more than I do meaningless regular season games.
There’s something wrong with the make up of this core when it comes to crunch time close games and it only gets worse the bigger the game is so unless they can front run and dominate there way to a title im not loving there chances
You don't believe that the core of the team is fundamentally different this season?
I asked ScarryJerry earlier in the thread, but I'd put it to everyone else talking about their performance in last year's playoffs as well: do you feel that the core of the team is fundamentally different from last year through 75+ games? If not, why not?

The personnel has changed a lot.  The "core" is still Tatum and JB, though.  And, we're still coached by the same guy.  So, it's pretty fair for fans to take a "show me" approach.  For all the talk about how we're a different team this year, we had a very successful regular season last year, as well.  Proof is in the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
[ :)/ :)quote]

The personnel has changed a lot…….Proof is in the playoffs.

Bingo  :)

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

So if the proof is in the playoffs, why is this thread getting bumped after every loss during the Celtics (excellent) regular season?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 11:18:24 AM by Goldstar88 »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So if the proof is in the playoffs, why is this thread getting bumped after every loss during the Celtics (excellent) regular season?

Why does any thread get bumped?  Why not just wait until the end of the season and do a retrospective take?

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Probably because its been modified to also be a critigue or defend thread and not just an outright call to fire the guy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Probably because its been modified to also be a critigue or defend thread and not just an outright call to fire the guy.

The title may have been modified, but the thread seems the same as it always has been. Luckily the playoffs will be here soon enough.