Poll

Should the Celtics Pursue James Harden this offseason

Yes, he'd be a great fit here and make us a championship contender
3 (13%)
Yes, I don't like the fit but if we can't get Beal or Lavine it might be the best move we could make
0 (0%)
No, James Harden would be a bad fit with the Boston Celtics
1 (4.3%)
No, I don't care how good the fit is I hate James Harden and don't want him on this team
7 (30.4%)
It doesn't matter. Harden will re-sign with Brooklyn or go to another market
12 (52.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Poll: James Harden as an option this summer  (Read 2639 times)

Poll: James Harden as an option this summer
« on: October 20, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Seemingly out of nowhere, a small elephant in the room has appeared in Brooklyn that is could very quickly start growing as the season progresses. Lost in the drama of the Kyrie Irving situation is news that James Harden and his 2022 player option has opted to not sign an extension with the Brooklyn Nets.

With all of the focus on Beal and Zach Lavine, have we been overlooking the real target? Could James Harden be a legitimate option this offseason?

I think there are some legitimate factors to consider...

1. The Celtics were reportedly more in on the James Harden trade than was originally thought. While it might not have seemed like the type of player that we'd target, there is mounting pressure to put a championship core around Jayson Tatum and James Harden is still a top 10 player.

2. James Harden's game compliments Tatum and Brown. Jayson Tatum has been making strides with his playmaking but Jaylen likely is what he is, a rim running finisher with a strong 3 point shot. Tatum meanwhile is on the cusp of an MVP campaign but IMO is never going to be the Lebron style primary ball handler walking it up every possession.

Harden has proven to be able to both score and distribute depending on what the team needs and is a different type of elite athlete than the J's. He's strong and stout with a tight handle and capable of making plays in the half court that the two wings will likely never make. I think he could be an ideal fit for this roster.

3. If James Harden wants to compete for a ring there is likely no better championship core than Tatum and Brown. Both of the team's young wings have proven to be versatile and durable.

Why would he choose the Celtics in FA over cities with better strip clubs? He has a real chance to cement his legacy as one of basketball's great's here. James Harden is no longer a kid and if he wants to really build something, success in Boston would make him a legend.

4. Harden's time in Brooklyn has not been completely successful. Blame Kyrie, blame injuries, blame whatever you like but Harden hasn't even been in this spot for a year and New York is not for everyone. I've been to New York twice in the last month and it's definitely grimier than it was before the pandemic. The outdoor seating has made traffic even worse so there's constant horn beeping and with the increase in homelessness it's not rare to catch the stench of urine on any street.

Not to mention that Brooklyn is still playing second fiddle to the Knicks. Despite Brooklyn's more successful playoff run, the star of the New York postseason was Trae Young since performed under the lights of MSG.

What do you think? Is James Harden an option? Should we want him? Would he consider Boston over other big markets?

Re: Poll: James Harden as an option this summer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 10:09:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How would we sign him?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 10:15:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
How would we sign him?
^this. We don't have any cap space for the next 3-4 years going forward.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 10:40:28 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The answer is no, we can't sign him (or any other significant free agent).

/thread

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 10:44:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How would we sign him?

Monopoly money?

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 10:53:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Harden isn’t even going to reach free agency.  He’s going to opt into his final year, and sign an extension off of that.  Opting out and signing a new deal (with any team, Nets or otherwise) would pay him less.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I should probably work on cap management before throwing out more crackpot theories.

If the whole topic is built on a flawed premise that we would realistically be able to sign Harden then feel free to lock it up mods.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 01:17:49 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I should probably work on cap management before throwing out more crackpot theories.

If the whole topic is built on a flawed premise that we would realistically be able to sign Harden then feel free to lock it up mods.

Smartacus...don't feel bad, I've got a 4 page "Lebron James to Boston Justification" from about 7 or 8 years ago.

We would have had to throw in a couple of Red Sox players but it was doable.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 01:29:14 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
How would we sign him?
Haven't put down the numbers, but I assume we could work out a sign-and-trade deal with Brooklyn. If Harden decides to leave, I bet the Nets would rather trade him to his preferred destination than lose him for nothing.

For instance:

Smart + Horford + either Timelord or JRich + pick(s) for Harden

I'm too lazy to check the numbers, but I believe it's possible to end up below the apron after the trade. Again, this is assuming Harden wants to leave and the Nets face the dilemma of letting him walk vs facilitating a sign-and-trade deal for him.

For the record, I don't think Harden would be an ideal fit alongside the Jays, cause he'd take the ball away from Tatum in the half court. That said, you do that trade in a nanosecond if you are the Celtics. A big 3 of Harden, Tatum and Brown would instantly transform us into legit contenders. Imo, we'd become the best team in the East (if not in the NBA).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 01:45:58 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 01:49:57 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Not only is Harden a selfish bum and a bad fit for the Celtics, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch him play basketball. Even when he was at his most successful in Houston, they were unwatchable.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 01:57:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Not only is Harden a selfish bum and a bad fit for the Celtics, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch him play basketball. Even when he was at his most successful in Houston, they were unwatchable.
I bet you'd soon change your mind once we started winning one game after the other with Harden and the Jays. :P

Personally speaking, my #1 target would be Ben Simmons cause a) his value is at rock bottom right now, b) I'd love the fit alongside the Jays, c) he perfectly fits our time window. But that's just me. I fully understand Simmons is a polarizing player.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 03:54:18 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I bet you'd soon change your mind once we started winning one game after the other with Harden and the Jays. :P

Personally speaking, my #1 target would be Ben Simmons cause a) his value is at rock bottom right now, b) I'd love the fit alongside the Jays, c) he perfectly fits our time window. But that's just me. I fully understand Simmons is a polarizing player.

I don't believe we'd win. Even if he weren't the boil on the neck of a franchise that he is, he's redundant with Tatum and Brown. The last thing we need is another ball-dependent perimeter player. I think our chemistry, locker room, and eventually team would fall apart and in the long run we'd lose Tatum and/or Brown over it. Harden is an overrated stat compiler, just like Westbrook.

IMO, what we really need is the right combination of role players around the Js. Adding a great 3 pt shooter, an elite big man, a pass first PG, we can absolutely use those things. Adding another player who wants the ball in his hands all the time and shoots constantly is a recipe for failure.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 02:26:27 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Seemingly out of nowhere, a small elephant in the room has appeared in Brooklyn that is could very quickly start growing as the season progresses. Lost in the drama of the Kyrie Irving situation is news that James Harden and his 2022 player option has opted to not sign an extension with the Brooklyn Nets.

With all of the focus on Beal and Zach Lavine, have we been overlooking the real target? Could James Harden be a legitimate option this offseason?

I think there are some legitimate factors to consider...

1. The Celtics were reportedly more in on the James Harden trade than was originally thought. While it might not have seemed like the type of player that we'd target, there is mounting pressure to put a championship core around Jayson Tatum and James Harden is still a top 10 player.

2. James Harden's game compliments Tatum and Brown. Jayson Tatum has been making strides with his playmaking but Jaylen likely is what he is, a rim running finisher with a strong 3 point shot. Tatum meanwhile is on the cusp of an MVP campaign but IMO is never going to be the Lebron style primary ball handler walking it up every possession.

Harden has proven to be able to both score and distribute depending on what the team needs and is a different type of elite athlete than the J's. He's strong and stout with a tight handle and capable of making plays in the half court that the two wings will likely never make. I think he could be an ideal fit for this roster.

3. If James Harden wants to compete for a ring there is likely no better championship core than Tatum and Brown. Both of the team's young wings have proven to be versatile and durable.

Why would he choose the Celtics in FA over cities with better strip clubs? He has a real chance to cement his legacy as one of basketball's great's here. James Harden is no longer a kid and if he wants to really build something, success in Boston would make him a legend.

4. Harden's time in Brooklyn has not been completely successful. Blame Kyrie, blame injuries, blame whatever you like but Harden hasn't even been in this spot for a year and New York is not for everyone. I've been to New York twice in the last month and it's definitely grimier than it was before the pandemic. The outdoor seating has made traffic even worse so there's constant horn beeping and with the increase in homelessness it's not rare to catch the stench of urine on any street.

Not to mention that Brooklyn is still playing second fiddle to the Knicks. Despite Brooklyn's more successful playoff run, the star of the New York postseason was Trae Young since performed under the lights of MSG.

What do you think? Is James Harden an option? Should we want him? Would he consider Boston over other big markets?

From Harden:

"I don't plan on leaving this organization and the situation that we have," Harden said Tuesday. "So my focus, honestly, is just focus on the season and then winning the championship."

"The contract and all that stuff will bear itself out, but my focus is going to be locked on this season."

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/10/20/james-harden-dismisses-lack-of-contract-extension-nets

I think there's less than a snowball's chance in hell that he doesn't re-sign with Brooklyn. Their team would have to self destruct for it to even become a possibility.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 03:32:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How would we sign him?
Haven't put down the numbers, but I assume we could work out a sign-and-trade deal with Brooklyn. If Harden decides to leave, I bet the Nets would rather trade him to his preferred destination than lose him for nothing.

For instance:

Smart + Horford + either Timelord or JRich + pick(s) for Harden

I'm too lazy to check the numbers, but I believe it's possible to end up below the apron after the trade. Again, this is assuming Harden wants to leave and the Nets face the dilemma of letting him walk vs facilitating a sign-and-trade deal for him.

For the record, I don't think Harden would be an ideal fit alongside the Jays, cause he'd take the ball away from Tatum in the half court. That said, you do that trade in a nanosecond if you are the Celtics. A big 3 of Harden, Tatum and Brown would instantly transform us into legit contenders. Imo, we'd become the best team in the East (if not in the NBA).
Can you imagine how mad Durant would be if Kyrie and Harden turned into Smart, Horford and Robert Williams?

I would do the trade just to see him tweet about it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 04:25:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I think there's less than a snowball's chance in hell that he doesn't re-sign with Brooklyn. Their team would have to self destruct for it to even become a possibility.
Given that they have Kyrie on their team, self distruction might be a legit possibility. :P