Author Topic: Celtics 27-12 at Bucks (35-6) Game #40 1/16/20  (Read 34228 times)

Re: Celtics 27-12 at Bucks (35-6) Game #40 1/16/20
« Reply #495 on: January 16, 2020, 10:42:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1510
This game wasn't really enjoyable to watch in my opinion, so TPs all around to those still here

Right back at you as well.  TP

« Reply #496 on: January 16, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If you are Hayward making all that money - how do you let yourself turn in a game like that against the best team in the east.  I'm done making excuses for him.

Disappointing. It’s strange. He started the season so strong. Hasn’t been right since coming back from the broken hand.

« Reply #497 on: January 16, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3036
  • On To Banner 18!
The lackluster starts are annoying. We aren’t beating teams like PHI and MIL if we fall behind by double digits early on and rely on coming back all the time
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #498 on: January 16, 2020, 10:43:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Came up just short.  Really good 4th quarter after an abysmal three quarters.
3rd quarter wasn't abysmal cut into the Bucks lead quite a bit
We ended up losing the third by a point.
you're right.  I'm a dope.  thought they had it to 9 at the end of the quarter- not 19.  need to look a little closer next time

« Reply #499 on: January 16, 2020, 10:44:13 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1404
Good comeback (twice), fell just short but a fair result in the end. DiVincenzo went off for career high 19 and their bench scored 48 points. They shot 51% from 3 (16-31). Our first quarter killed us. But I liked the heart and courage they showed in not quitting like they would've last year. TPs to those of us who stuck around and didn't quit either!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #500 on: January 16, 2020, 10:44:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If you are Hayward making all that money - how do you let yourself turn in a game like that against the best team in the east.  I'm done making excuses for him.

Disappointing. It’s strange. He started the season so strong. Hasn’t been right since coming back from the broken hand.

Foot nerve is a problem. Pretty obvious. It’s too bad.

« Reply #501 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:07 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49

Even if you arent shooting well, find a way to make an impact.  He was completely invisible.  Somebody on the team needs to call him out (privately).  That was a BS effort.

« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1510
Good comeback (twice), fell just short but a fair result in the end. DiVincenzo went off for career high 19 and their bench scored 48 points. They shot 51% from 3 (16-31). Our first quarter killed us. But I liked the heart and courage they showed in not quitting like they would've last year. TPs to those of us who stuck around and didn't quit either!

Yeah they actually came back twice.  It certainly make you feel better about the poor effort to start the game.

The loss overshadows a great game by Kemba - 40 / 11 / 3.

« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

You may be right about the foot, Footey!!

« Reply #504 on: January 16, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Im starting to think this is the case. It explains the on and off nights, because sometimes it feels okay other times its hell.

Anyway the guys showed a lot of good fight. The first half was atrocious, but showing a lot of heart despite missing Brown on a second night of back to back and a tough stretch overall I will applaud that.

« Reply #505 on: January 16, 2020, 10:49:22 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Management need to do some thinking.
Are we a good team developing players and ready to contend in a couple years , or do we make a move to contend now.
I think they rather develop , I don’t think management believes we can go all the way yet.
I am fine either way but the last couple of weeks got me very frustrated,  to many games lost due bad start.

« Reply #506 on: January 16, 2020, 10:49:42 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 748
We are watching a very tired basketball team - physically and mentally. Mental fatigue impacts the teams' ability to stay focused on playing the right way and executing. Seems the heavy schedule of late has taken our legs.

Big problem with our Celtics is our real horsepower, Tatum and Brown, are terribly inconsistent. You have no idea what you are going to get game to game. Walker is generally reliable and Hayward, who is our playmaker, I think is playing hurt. You wonder if he is ever going to fully recover from the residuals of the horrible leg injury. Add in the fact that we are basically weak inside and you have a team that lacks real, game to game, consistent firepower and by that, I mean all aspects of the game, offense, defense, rebounding and shooting.

The Bucks are a little bit of a mystery to me. I get that they have the Antelope, who is a top 5 player every nite out. But their supporting cast, while very solid, just doesn't strike me as the best group in the league. They don't overwhelm you, except for their record and they have cruised through a heavy schedule of games with ease. I suspect they may turn out to be vulnerable come playoff time.

The other really big question is, why do we continue to wear these gawd-awful "City Edition" uniforms ?????
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #507 on: January 16, 2020, 10:57:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Management need to do some thinking.
Are we a good team developing players and ready to contend in a couple years , or do we make a move to contend now.
I think they rather develop , I don’t think management believes we can go all the way yet.
I am fine either way but the last couple of weeks got me very frustrated,  to many games lost due bad start.
this -- this year was about development after losing Kyrie and Al and not getting AD.

I look at how well they're doing this season as gravy -- next year Danny won't be left scrambling in the offseason to make up for losing 2 stars.  looking for several roster spots to clear up (Poirier, Semi, Wanamaker), adding another solid prospect with the Memphis pick.  another year of development from GWill, Timelord, Langford, Waters and Edwards.  if we can bring back Kanter and sign a good vet for the bench (thinking Thad Young might be a nice, affordable addition to the front court), I think next year this team can make a really good run at it.

« Reply #508 on: January 16, 2020, 10:57:39 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
As in last year's playoffs the Bucks used their bench tonight:
Bench 92 minutes 48 points

Celtics just left their starters in:
Bench 68 minutes 17 points.

Bucks coach stated it in an interview last spring.

"We just wear them down by the fourth quarter."

Tonight the Celtics were fine late, but, in a series? The top guys can't roll every night with 38 minutes while the Buck's starters are at 30.

At least they came back from being down big tonight.

« Reply #509 on: January 16, 2020, 10:58:04 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
two timeouts left and coach ato doesn’t call one there?!? consequently, smart shoots an airball. great coaching, brad!
You don’t call a timeout in an open court situation when their defense is not set.  Would be terrible because we’d waste several seconds trying to get a shot against their set D.

no, you call a to. after the steal, kemba crossed mid-court with 14 seconds on the clock but he was in a 2-on-4 situation with the bucks in solid transition defense, stopping the penetration and forcing a kick out. unfortunately for the c’s the only available player was smart who shot an air ball (he was the trailer; gordon took himself out of play by running the lane all the way out of bounds on the baseline).

call a to and let brad draw up a catch and shoot 3 for kemba or jay. if successful, it’s a one point game. marcus shooting a rushed 3 is not what we wanted in that situation.