Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 106737 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
update for this week

Standings as of 2/14/19

Memphis pick --  #6 --  (protected top 8 ) 
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
Memphis               ---                     23                   23              4-6
Washington          +1.5                  24                   24              3-7

--> Memphis seems to be locking into the #6 slot.  can't see them winning enough to pass Washington or anyone else with more wins and they're 3 games away from catching the Hawks for the #5 pick.  Looks to be a pick that will carry over to next year.

Kings pick -- #14 -- (protected if top 1 - becomes Sixer pick if #1)
                       Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
LA Lakers                   2                     28                      25                3-7
Sacramento             ---                     30                      25                6-4
Clippers                     +1                    32                      25                5-5

-> Kings still fighting to make the playoffs.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed they remain behind the Clips so that we don't lose the Clips pick and they don't jump a few spots in the post-lottery group due to a weak set of Eastern playoff teams.

Clipper Pick #18   --  (protected  top 14) 
Sacramento               1                       30                      25                6-4
LA Clippers               ---                     32                      25                 5-5
Utah                           +1                    32                      25                 6-4
San Antonio               +1                     33                      23                 6-4

-->  Clips  lost the last playoff spot briefly then got it back.  hoping they're able to hang on to it coming down the
homestretch of the season

Boston Pick -- tied #23 with Philly
Philadelphia         ---                     37                      24                6-4
Boston                 ---                     37                     24                  7-3
OKC                       1                     37                      26                 9-1
Indiana                  1                     38                      24                 6-4

-->C's really jockeying around with these 3 teams for positioning in the draft (and playoffs for Philly and Indy).   Indy hanging tough without Oladipo and OKC having a really good week.   2 bad losses to the LA teams hurt the C's in the playoff standings but helped with their draft positioning (always have to find that silver lining)

Second Rounders:
Boston (protected 31-55)

Second rounders
Boston - #53/4

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to Slam...thank you for killer data!

Agree on whats left of Memphis, but, assume pick will be more valuable next year.

Freaking Kings had to get better this year, but, still somewhat valuable.

"Doc's pick" looks safeish.

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
TP to Slam...thank you for killer data!

Agree on whats left of Memphis, but, assume pick will be more valuable next year.

Freaking Kings had to get better this year, but, still somewhat valuable.

"Doc's pick" looks safeish.
I'm optimistic about that Clips pick but Sac isn't giving up that playoff chance without a fight and Lebron's not done for the season either.   

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Looking at the number Jonas is putting up in Memphis, I will not be surprised if he makes them a better team than when they had Marc Gasol. I mean I know they lost both games, but I wouldnt count out them finishing outside the top 8 just yet.

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 01:31:25 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Looking at the number Jonas is putting up in Memphis, I will not be surprised if he makes them a better team than when they had Marc Gasol. I mean I know they lost both games, but I wouldnt count out them finishing outside the top 8 just yet.

It's gonna be a race to the bottom. Washington is 1.5 ahead, New Orleans is 2.5. It doesn't look like AD is showing up for the rest of the year, so they could pass Memphis (on the way down). Washington is a wild card.

Personally, I'm very happy with Memphis at #6, which gives them a couple spaces to drop in the lottery and still defer the pick.

Mike

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It's gonna be a race to the bottom. Washington is 1.5 ahead, New Orleans is 2.5. It doesn't look like AD is showing up for the rest of the year, so they could pass Memphis (on the way down). Washington is a wild card.

Personally, I'm very happy with Memphis at #6, which gives them a couple spaces to drop in the lottery and still defer the pick.

Mike
or more likely a more-attractive Davis trade chip

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If we do end up with all 4 picks, I wonder if Ainge could try to package them all and move up into the top 5.

I know Zion is out of reach but Ja Morant and RJ Barrett are very intriguing.

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2019, 09:24:43 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Mike

It's going to be a stressful time for our picks.  If the Grizzlies stay at 6 it does give us some leeway come lottery time.  I was looking at the remaining strength of schedule and the Pelicans do have a harder remaining schedule so that's good.  The Wizards do worry me only a game ahead in the win column, but they are in east.  The Hawks have been closing in on the Grizzlies 4 games back now in the win column, but probably not enough time to catch them. 

If the Kings can get to the 10th pick we'll have an 11% chance of it becoming a 2-4 pick.  About 16% at 9, and 20% at 8.   They currently sit at 14, but have a tough upcoming schedule.  3 games on the road at GS, OKC, Minnesota, then 4 at home against Milwaukee, LAC, NY, and Boston, then 4 games again on the road NY, Washington, Boston, and Philly.   If they go let's say 3 and 8 during that stretch it will be huge for us.  They will then be sitting at 33 and 35.  They then play 4 winnable games at home against Chicago, Brooklyn, Dallas, and Phoenix.   If say Brooklyn and Dallas can beat them, and they split those 4 games that will good, and then they finish the season with 7 out of the last 10 games on the road. 

The 9th and 10th teams in the east Heat and Magic have a shot of catching the Kings with 3 and 4 wins back.  The Magic have won 5 in a row recently.  In the west the Lakers 2 wins back, Wolves 3 wins back, Mavs and Pelicans 4 wins back have a shot as well.   If 4 out of those 6 teams can catch them then we are sitting at 10 with that 11% chance at moving up in the lottery in those 2-4 slots.  I can live with that.  ha

IMO it's best if the Clippers pick conveys this year, and not taking any chances next year.  We are hanging on by a thread with them as the 8th seed 2 wins above the Kings.   The 4th through 8th seeds in the west are only 3 games apart all between 32 and 34 wins.  Lots can happen there, but if anything I think the Clippers could fall out of the playoffs. 

These picks can have big impacts on trade value for a potential Davis trade.  Stressful times.  lol 

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I was wondering if Kings pick (12 to 15 range) and future Grizz pick gets the Grizz pick this year if it is (4 to 6)

In that way Grizz can deal a few more guys off and truly rebuild (tank) next year.

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2019, 07:18:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I wouldn't mind seeing the Memphis pick not allocated in 2019.  It's top 8 this year, top 6 in the 2020 draft, unprotected in the 2021.  What's a better asset, pick 9 or worse, pick 7 or worse, or an unprotected pick?  Seeing as I think they are on a long term rebuild, Memphis will suck just as bad in 2021 and that could be a valuable asset.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2019, 07:24:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wouldn't mind seeing the Memphis pick not allocated in 2019.  It's top 8 this year, top 6 in the 2020 draft, unprotected in the 2021.  What's a better asset, pick 9 or worse, pick 7 or worse, or an unprotected pick?  Seeing as I think they are on a long term rebuild, Memphis will suck just as bad in 2021 and that could be a valuable asset.
Completely agree. It's why I want Avery Bradley and Jonas V to cool off, lol. Stop helping them win!

I reckon once they move Conley (assuming they do) they'll fully embrace the tank
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Well, I guess that it's safe to say that Memphis isn't converting this year:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26058363/jaren-jackson-jr-sidelined-indefinitely-right-quad-injury

22 games left and they're four games ahead of Atlanta, so it's going to be tough for them to move into that #5 slot.

Mike

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2019, 01:57:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
That Memphis pick is becoming gold

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2019, 02:35:05 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Best case scenario I feel is, Kings Pick is in 13-14 range, Clippers conveys around 18 and the Memphis Pick doesn't convey this year. Right now that's pretty much where everything's at so hopefully it stays that way. That Memphis pick really is becoming gold. The Clippers pick not conveying wouldn't be a disaster but I feel if they have a big offseason then while the pick would convey next year, it would probably be in the 24-30 range (so not as valuable as this year by that logic). And that would also assume Kings make playoffs which means their pick becomes 18 (unless Lakers get in).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Wonder what will the Pelicans say about the Memphis pick not conveying

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)