Author Topic: Bradley Beal will not play in restart season  (Read 3763 times)

Re: Bradley Beal will not play in restart season
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I seriously don't get this, but maybe someone can explain this to me.

Why did they choose Florida of all places?

My two cents. Disney owns ABC/ESPN which, along with TNT, are the major TV rights holders for the NBA.  Also, the ones who will be airing the NBA Finals. 

Corporate synergy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Is this really that different than any other year?

LeBron, Lonzo, Ingram all sat out the Lakers stretch run while Olapipo missed the playoffs and Blake Griffin sat out the final 2 playoff games for their teams last year.

Obviously the Nets is a little more extreme, but you have teams like the Clippers ('16) missing Blake and Chris Paul by the end of their 1st round run, and the Rockets ('09) missing both Yao and McGrady by the end of their 2nd round run.

And I'm sure there's been other teams in recent history limping to the playoffs with depleted rosters. (One seemingly random not-so-recent team that comes to mind is the '94 Cavs, missing Nance and Daugherty, both All-Stars the prior year, and Hot Rod Williams, a solid starter, getting swept by a Jordan-less Bulls).

So far this just feels like a couple of teams hit hard by the injury bug and/or sitting out players when they don't have a shot, which happens all the time.

Will admit though, we're teetering on the edge of going well past that point, but so far it still feels like a somewhat normal playoff run in terms of player availability to me.

The Nets situation is different from anything I can recall in recent years. While what the Wizards are doing is on part with end of regular season stuff, the Nets are going to do this in their playoff series. They are also already this depleted before they have a single game (or get more positives down there). Currently they are down:

Durant
Kyrie Irving (first in minutes played for limited games he played, leading scorer)
Spencer Dinwiddie (second in minutes played, second leading scoring, starter when Irving sat)
Prince (4th in minutes played, basically started all games)
Deandre Jordan (8th in minutes played, leading rebounder, platoon at center)
Wilson Chandler (9th in minutes played)

Their starting 5 for the playoffs is currently projected to be:

PG: Tyler Johnson (signed off street two weeks ago)
SG: Caris Levert (solid starter)
SF: Joe Harris (ok bench player)
PF: Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot (probably not a rotation player)
Center: Jaret Allen (solid starter)

Bench includes guys like Dzanan Musa, recently signed off street Justin Anderson, Chris Chiozza (?) and they currently don't have a backup center. This is pretty clearly unprecedented for a team to trot out there in a first round playoff series and allows the opposing teams to basically only play their starters 25 minutes if they want to. Given that players may be in worse shape than normal, this would be a potentially huge advantage for their first round opponent.

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 02:02:26 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

My two cents. Disney owns ABC/ESPN which, along with TNT, are the major TV rights holders for the NBA.  Also, the ones who will be airing the NBA Finals. 

Corporate synergy.

Also worth noting when they agreed to this plan they were doing a lot better in Florida with coronavirus numbers.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 02:03:57 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Personally, I'm still thinking this won't end up happening. Or maybe it starts, but quickly after things get hectic and they have to shut it down again. Florida continues to get 7,000+ cases a day and their positive rate of COVID tests was at a record high yesterday (around 16%). Today they got about 9,900. And it seems FL is also falling behind on testing as well as reporting hospitalization and death numbers, which is not ideal. Over 50 counties in FL have already had hospitals reach capacity and numerous others only have less than 10% capacity left.

Adam Silver said yesterday that there's a chance if the virus gets into the bubble and spreads, they'll be forced to shut it down. Makes me think they are bracing for it seeing what's happening around FL and also around the league as more players test positive and drop out even before entering the bubble

So hospitals reach capacity in Orlando, someone tears an acl, they pull doctors off covid patients or kick someone out for a bed? That is a bad look...

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Corporate synergy.

Yeah, and also to be somewhat fair, back then Florida wasn't this bad while places like New York state were, so they probably thought it'd remain fine in FL and were hoping for it. Unfortunately, the governor of FL is a complete idiot and frankly, while a majority of Floridians are great and adhering to social distancing (as well as those in this blog,  like Jambr, etc.), you have the other small proportion that just don't seem to care. Those are the people crowding beaches and going to large-sized parties.

What does surprise me a bit is that the NBA never had a Plan B for this. Like, maybe another location if FL didn't work out? Maybe they just decided if it wouldn't work in FL, it wouldn't work anywhere else.

But hockey, baseball and some other leagues were flexible and saw how things were progressing in certain states and regions before deciding what to do. For example, baseball actually originally was planning to do a shortened season in just two locations, Florida and Arizona (LOL). But they ultimately decided to do all venues, just with no fans. Hockey I think will resume in a few areas in Canada, which has done a fantastic job with COVID and is presumably safer.

Personally, I'm still thinking this won't end up happening. Or maybe it starts, but quickly after things get hectic and they have to shut it down again. Florida continues to get 7,000+ cases a day and their positive rate of COVID tests was at a record high yesterday (around 16%). Today they got about 9,900. And it seems FL is also falling behind on testing as well as reporting hospitalization and death numbers, which is not ideal. Over 50 counties in FL have already had hospitals reach capacity and numerous others only have less than 10% capacity left.

Adam Silver said yesterday that there's a chance if the virus gets into the bubble and spreads, they'll be forced to shut it down. Makes me think they are bracing for it seeing what's happening around FL and also around the league as more players test positive and drop out even before entering the bubble

So hospitals reach capacity in Orlando, someone tears an acl, they pull doctors off covid patients or kick someone out for a bed? That is a bad look...

Exactly. And it's also a bit of a bad look already that supposedly athletes can get tested everyday and get back results fairly quickly, while the rest of the states' residents may have to wait a while for their results. It's leading to a backlog in testing and delays in testing results. This was true back in March when testing capacity was already low across the country, yet NBA teams were able to have everyone tested.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:09:59 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Corporate synergy greed.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That's been my argument for months.  Even if you could guarantee that there will be zero Covid cases inside the bubble, injuries are a certainty in basketball, and there is a real issue in contributing to any extra burden on the medical system if that area is in full outbreak.  An ACL is probably fine -- players regularly take a few weeks to get surgery, and often have it performed outside their team's home city.  A break like Hayward is different, as are head/neck injuries, and need to be treated immediately.  Hayward breaks are obviously very rare, more likely than not one won't happen during the restart.  But head/neck injuries absolutely will happen.

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

That's been my argument for months.  Even if you could guarantee that there will be zero Covid cases inside the bubble, injuries are a certainty in basketball, and there is a real issue in contributing to any extra burden on the medical system if that area is in full outbreak.  An ACL is probably fine -- players regularly take a few weeks to get surgery, and often have it performed outside their team's home city.  A break like Hayward is different, as are head/neck injuries, and need to be treated immediately.  Hayward breaks are obviously very rare, more likely than not one won't happen during the restart.  But head/neck injuries absolutely will happen.

Would this really happen though?

Players can/will get hurt, sure.  But the doctors who would treat an ACL tear or a dislocated shoulder or a broken ankle are not the same doctors who would be treating Covid patients, right?  Doesn't specialty matter here?

Doctors, nurses, and health care workers of all kind are being laid off.  It definitely doesn't appear to be all hands on deck in the medical field, if you didn't deal with sick patients before, you're not dealing with sick patients now.  At least that's how it appears to be from where I'm sitting.

I do know my wife was scheduled to have some elective procedures done before Covid hit, only to be delayed indefinitely, then starting in Apr-May the doctors started calling us practically begging us to reschedule as they wanted business.  They weren't down at the Covid ward volunteering.

I know nothing about the ins and outs of hospitals and medical professions, but even with Covid, is there not large portions of the hospital not being used?  Like the dental, orthapedics, physical therapy, etc. sections?  Or is every section of the hospital now overrun with Covid patients?  Those with Covid aren't lining up to get MRI's done are they?

All I'm really asking, if a player tears his ACL, is that really taking a doctor/nurse/bed away from Covid patients?  Or does that player end up using a different set of doctors/nurses/beds?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 09:20:18 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Would this really happen though?

Players can/will get hurt, sure.  But the doctors who would treat an ACL tear or a dislocated shoulder or a broken ankle are not the same doctors who would be treating Covid patients, right?  Doesn't specialty matter here?

Doctors, nurses, and health care workers of all kind are being laid off.  It definitely doesn't appear to be all hands on deck in the medical field, if you didn't deal with sick patients before, you're not dealing with sick patients now.  At least that's how it appears to be from where I'm sitting.

I do know my wife was scheduled to have some elective procedures done before Covid hit, only to be delayed indefinitely, then starting in Apr-May the doctors started calling us practically begging us to reschedule as they wanted business.  They weren't down at the Covid ward volunteering.

I know nothing about the ins and outs of hospitals and medical professions, but even with Covid, is there not large portions of the hospital not being used?  Like the dental, orthapedics, physical therapy, etc. sections?  Or is every section of the hospital now overrun with Covid patients?  Those with Covid aren't lining up to get MRI's done are they?

All I'm really asking, if a player tears his ACL, is that really taking a doctor/nurse/bed away from Covid patients?  Or does that player end up using a different set of doctors/nurses/beds?

They do run out of beds period. In Houston they were putting adults with covid into a children’s hospital cause they had no beds left. I don’t now what the exact situation in Orlando (some of these states have stopped sharing data) but this is definitely a concern with a bad injury

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 11:06:29 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Corporate synergy.

Disney has the facilities too play in aling with a crap ton of hotels on sites with drivers to take them back and forth. Also it's pretty secluded from the out side. They did open but it's bare compared to what it should be. Most of the hotels have wings so they can keep the players in one wing and the guests in the others.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 07:16:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
nonetheless, this is going to be a strange season, even if it does take place. how many more top players will be missing?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 07:58:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
nonetheless, this is going to be a strange season, even if it does take place. how many more top players will be missing?

I doubt too many more.  Think of it how stars on bad teams sit out April.  Really the same thing here with the 24-40 Wizards.  You’ll probably see a couple western conference players sit once they’re eliminated from the 8-9 game as well.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I read somewhere today that the NBA needs to have played 70 games this season in order to officially get all the TV money and money from other places. And it's supposedly a lot of money. I believe most teams have played approximately 65 games to date before COVID shut things down. That might be why they are hell-bent on trying to resume this season and play some games, even if they don't finish it and have to suspend the season again.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 10:12:32 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
I read somewhere today that the NBA needs to have played 70 games this season in order to officially get all the TV money and money from other places. And it's supposedly a lot of money. I believe most teams have played approximately 65 games to date before COVID shut things down. That might be why they are hell-bent on trying to resume this season and play some games, even if they don't finish it and have to suspend the season again.

this is absolutely correct

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 04:40:59 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

this is absolutely correct

I doubt they get all their money. There will be a negotiated settlement or this will end up in court. No way the NBA gets all their money.