Author Topic: Which Guards do you like in this Draft?  (Read 4252 times)

Re: Which Guards do you like in this Draft?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Big Big fan of NAW.

He has all the tools you want, and can only see him getting stronger as he gets a little older which will make him better all around.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
if Danny's picking between Herro and Windler at 22, hope he takes Windler...
I guess for his size...nice step back too.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 06:29:27 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
if Danny's picking between Herro and Windler at 22, hope he takes Windler...
I guess for his size...nice step back too.

That would be an easy choice. I don't think much of Herro, he looks to be similar to Nik Stauskas, Troy Daniels and Wayne Ellington. Great shooters from the bench, but that's it. You could do worse of course, but with a mid-first (14-22 range) I hope for something better than a career role player that scores around 7 PPG with 38 3FG% and can't do anything else. Maybe RJ Hunter can still fill in such a role.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Horton-Tucker is such a strange prospect. 6'5", massively bulky wing/guard with a 7'1" wingspan and strong hands who can't shoot, but moves his feet very well and can finish inside. Who knows what he could be.

That's why I think he'd make a good pick in the 20s of this draft.  Might as well take a swing on a guy with weird measurements with a high ceiling.
100%, hope we just swing for the fences where we can
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I like Ty Jerome with 22. 

"NBA Comparison: Greivis Vasquez
Strengths: Ideal size for the point guard position with a 6’5’’ frame … Passing is better than most combo guards entering the draft, averaging 5.4 assists his junior season … Plays with incredible efficiency … Quick decision-making ability … Efficient three-point shooter, shooting nearly 40% over his career … One of his biggest strengths is his lock-down defense … Uses his size to his advantage when guarding both on and off the ball … He is lengthy enough to guard multiple positions … Great awareness that allows him to beat offensive players to the spot … Uses hesitation moves to get into the lane … Can effectively score at the rim with either hand … One of the better spot-up shooters in college basketball … Fouls at a very low rate … Handles the ball well … Turns over the ball less than 15% of possessions … Despite a lack of athleticism, he is a big-time shooter that creates plays for himself and his teammates … Makes up for physical shortcomings with great intagibles ... Shows the ability to make those around him better ... Plays with a lot of confidence and swagger ... Has a competitive edge and knocks down shots in tough moments … Raises his level of play in big situations ... Reliable free throw shooter (Hovering around 80% for his career) … Solid rebounder for a point guard at 4.0 per game … Can post up smaller players …

Weaknesses: Possesses less than ideal physical tools … Lacks the speed and athleticism that is prominent in the NBA … He is often slower than every ACC guard he has competed against … Has a difficult time creating separation on offense … Struggles to keep up with extremely quick players on defense … His subpar athleticism will likely be exposed at the next level … Often shoots spot-up jumers, but must improve shooting off-the-dribble if he wants to succeed … Needs to add some strength and muscle … Does not have as high of a ceiling as most of the prospects entering the draft because of his lower-athletic ability …

Outlook: While Ty Jerome’s below-average speed and athleticism will likely prevent him from being a stand-out player in the NBA, he has the mental makeup to succeed … He has enough awareness and a high IQ that is capable of snagging a starting point guard spot or running a second unit … Projected to be a solid backup who can score, defend and provide much-needed energy off the bench … Virginia’s run in the NCAA tournament will certainly silence many doubters and possibly secure Jerome a first round pick in the NBA Draft ...

Notes: 6’5’’ in shoes, with a 6’2.5’’ wingspan and 184 lbs at the 2015 Nike Basketball Academy ... NBA scouts were impressed with his basketball IQ and tenacity at the 2018 Chris Paul Camp … Received offers from Princeton, Davidson, Temple, but ultimately was the best fit for Tony Bennett’s system at Virginia … Had a career-high 14 assists on March 4th against Syracuse … Averaged 24.7 points, 8.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists as a senior at Iona Preparatory School before season-ending hip surgery in 2015-16 … Named to the All-ACC Tournament second team in 2018-19 ..."
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 01:37:24 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
In the spirit of Footey thread of "Which Bigs do you like in this draft"
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=100173.0

Celts seem like they have worked out a ton of guards thus far.  Recent news/rumor is that 6'5 Tyler Herro did very well in his Celtics workout and hit 80 out of 100 threes.  Dylan Windler who is a 6'8 G/F has been asked for a 2nd workout. Per scouting report, both have good motors, iq and are good at running around screens, receiving pass and shooting the 3

Other than these two guards, who else do you like?

Windler highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9etsY1DFJc

Herro highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZA70Kg0Lpw&t=145s

I really hope the Celtics stay away from the true guards of this class. After Garland and Morant who are all but locks to go top 8 then next highest ranked for me is White and he is likely gone well before 14. Even White I review as nothing more then a 6th man spark off the bench scoring combo guard type.

After those 3 I look at Langford and ALexander walker as more wings then true guards. (with the NBA being so position-less at this point I consider a true guard to be a player who is capable of being the primary ball handler/ creator on offense)

Honestly the only other guard I would consider in the first round is Jalen Lecque

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Celts seem like they have worked out a ton of guards thus far.  Recent news/rumor is that 6'5 Tyler Herro did very well in his Celtics workout and hit 80 out of 100 threes.  Dylan Windler who is a 6'8 G/F has been asked for a 2nd workout. Per scouting report, both have good motors, iq and are good at running around screens, receiving pass and shooting the 3

Windler highlights

Herro highlights

I really hope the Celtics stay away from the true guards of this class. After Garland and Morant who are all but locks to go top 8 then next highest ranked for me is White and he is likely gone well before 14. Even White I review as nothing more then a 6th man spark off the bench scoring combo guard type.

After those 3 I look at Langford and ALexander walker as more wings then true guards. (with the NBA being so position-less at this point I consider a true guard to be a player who is capable of being the primary ball handler/ creator on offense)

Honestly the only other guard I would consider in the first round is Jalen Lecque
i share you sentiments above. but i expect ainge to what he always does, which is to draft the best player available that also fits with the celtics' team plan.

one interesting thing about this draft is that it has few super stars, but seems to be very even beyond #8. that is, from #9ish to about #30 i am not sure there are clear cut favorites. many players seem similar in terms of abilities and limitations.

so, given ainge's record of drafting pretty well in the mid to late first round, i think the celtics have a chance of picking up a couple of rotation players....or maybe hit the jack pot.

leonard was #15;
parker #28;
green #35;
rodman #27;
dumars #18;
butler #30;
tony allen #25;
robin lopez #15;
bradley #19;
marcus morris #14;
antetokounmpo #15;
gobert #27;
capela #25.

are the celtics likely to get a great player? no. but hey, a guy can dream.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Windler highlights

Herro highlights

i share you sentiments above. but i expect ainge to what he always does, which is to draft the best player available that also fits with the celtics' team plan.

one interesting thing about this draft is that it has few super stars, but seems to be very even beyond #8. that is, from #9ish to about #30 i am not sure there are clear cut favorites. many players seem similar in terms of abilities and limitations.

so, given ainge's record of drafting pretty well in the mid to late first round, i think the celtics have a chance of picking up a couple of rotation players....or maybe hit the jack pot.

leonard was #15;
parker #28;
green #35;
rodman #27;
dumars #18;
butler #30;
tony allen #25;
robin lopez #15;
bradley #19;
marcus morris #14;
antetokounmpo #15;
gobert #27;
capela #25.

are the celtics likely to get a great player? no. but hey, a guy can dream.  ;D

I agree DA will go BPA as he always has however I hope he places added influence of ceiling with this draft.

When I look at this draft I see a very divisive mix of high ceiling and high floor players

My first 3 tiers consist of Sion, Morant, Barret, Cilver, Reddish, Hunter and Garland. Those are all players I am confident will not fall to #14.

After that my Tier 4 currently looks like this

J Hayes
N Little
S Doumbouya
Goga Bitadze
KZ Okpala
R Langford
N Alexander-Walker
Coby White
PJ Washington
K Johnson

Of that group I have put in bold players who I think have a high enough ceiling to surprise people. These are the guys who 4 years from now have developed into top 5 members in their classes redraft.  The other players in this tier are not necessarily low ceiling or high floor players but they are players who I think cap out as good role players. ( a good role player is not a bad thing when drafting in the teens/twentys). PJ Washington is one player who I think is both a high ceiling and high floor player and would be a great pick for the Cs.

My Tier 5 and 6 could probably be one tier but I tried to break it up

B Clarke
Talen Horton-Tucker
Louis King
Matisse Thybulle
Bol Bol
Kevin Porter Jr
Luka Samanic

Darius Bazley
Jalen Lecque

Dylan Windler
Bruno Fernando
Grant Williams
Deividas Sirvydis
Daniel Gafford
Mfiondu Kabengele
Tyler Hero

These Tiers are more divisive. Clarke despite his age has a high ceiling depending on his jump shot. The other high ceiling guys are young with clear physical skills that are found in higher end NBA talents. Bol Bol is a stand out here as he clearly has talent but I'm just not buying the hype. I hope he stays healthy, gains 30 lbs and I'm wrong but he just isnt a gamble I want the Cs to make. The rest of that grouping is mostly players who both possess clear NBA traits but also lack some key prerequisites to being more then just a role player

With all that my theory/strategy for this draft would be pick one draft and stash (Doumbouy if he falls or Bitdze), one safe pick (Windler, Williams, and one high ceiling guy Okpala, Lecque, Bazely. With PJ Washington representing either spot if available. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet