Author Topic: Surgery for Rob (out 8-12 weeks)  (Read 15683 times)

Re: Surgery for Rob
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2022, 04:53:37 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
No training camp or pre-season injury for Rob!   He'll work his way back and by Game 15 or so he'll be Rob - with 67 games left.  Shortened season on the front end.  Meanwhile Brad will get something done to bolster the bench.

That's the spirit!
So Roy, I take it you believe Wyc is now going to open the wallet? The season hasn't even started and 2 players are injured. One is out for the year and the other can't seem to stay healthy. Other than Brogdon, the bench is still pretty awful. Does that strike you as a team that is heading towards a chip?

Well, at this point I think (or hope) that we're going to replace a dumpster dive camp invitee with a better candidate for the roster.  But, that has nothing to do with opening the wallet.  We'd just be replacing one non-guaranteed minimum deal with likely another one.

This is the part that is baffling to me. We have substantial evidence that howard, whiteside and cousins, even at this stage of their careers, are better players than kornet. But it feels like brad or someone else is hell bent on jamming kornet into the rotation.

I guess one explanation could be that the team really isn't concerned about Rob's surgery, and doesn't feel the need to bring in someone who will get cranky if he starts getting DNPs in early November.

If the team isn't, they should be.  With Timelord and Gallo out, and Horford not playing back to backs, it's setting the team up for failures (losses) not to bring in capable players.

If I'm a player on that team, I think I'd feel a bit betrayed.

It's okay, the regular season doesn't matter. Or so I hear.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2022, 04:57:36 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
No training camp or pre-season injury for Rob!   He'll work his way back and by Game 15 or so he'll be Rob - with 67 games left.  Shortened season on the front end.  Meanwhile Brad will get something done to bolster the bench.

That's the spirit!
So Roy, I take it you believe Wyc is now going to open the wallet? The season hasn't even started and 2 players are injured. One is out for the year and the other can't seem to stay healthy. Other than Brogdon, the bench is still pretty awful. Does that strike you as a team that is heading towards a chip?

Well, at this point I think (or hope) that we're going to replace a dumpster dive camp invitee with a better candidate for the roster.  But, that has nothing to do with opening the wallet.  We'd just be replacing one non-guaranteed minimum deal with likely another one.

This is the part that is baffling to me. We have substantial evidence that howard, whiteside and cousins, even at this stage of their careers, are better players than kornet. But it feels like brad or someone else is hell bent on jamming kornet into the rotation.

I guess one explanation could be that the team really isn't concerned about Rob's surgery, and doesn't feel the need to bring in someone who will get cranky if he starts getting DNPs in early November.

If the team isn't, they should be.  With Timelord and Gallo out, and Horford not playing back to backs, it's setting the team up for failures (losses) not to bring in capable players.

This is a least a legitimate concern.
We are still a young team, maybe with more fragile egos than we would like to think.

Brad wants to bring in marginal players, that he hopes play well.
He doesn't want to bring marginal teammates, that he hopes will behave.
Better than Whiteside is toast, give me Vonleh.

This

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2022, 05:02:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

That's the spirit!

Would you?  Kornet's teammates seem to like him.

That said, I've been of the opinion since July that our most likely action is to acquire a big (or two) who is either bought out or traded on the cheap due to a roster crunch, so I'm waiting for that to not occur until I get terribly frustrated.  Derrick Favors, Xavier Tillman, Stanley Johnson (who was rejuvenated as a small 5 last year), and Paul Reed (given the acquisition of Harrell) are all names I've got my eye on for the next 3-4 weeks.  I might also add Boban and Kenyon Martin Jr. to that list.

Yeah, I would.  If I thought the front office was half-assing it, leading to losses, I'd be p---ed.

Kornet's teammates like him as a towel waver and as a good dude.

My point is that players tend to like their teammates.  Sometimes that doesn’t happen, of course, but for the most part they aren’t rooting for them to get replaced.  They like Kornet, and they trust him on the court.  Same thing with Hauser.  Similarly, they’re generally optimistic about injuries that aren’t of the obvious season-ending type, because they have to be optimistic about their own such injuries.  Rob’s out for a couple of weeks, and the mentality is to collectively step up and not freak out about it.

I think they’re disappointed for Rob, but not worrying about getting a vet center at this minute, especially if the names we banter around on this board are ones that don’t have the greatest locker room rep around the league.

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2022, 05:16:15 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

That's the spirit!

That said, I've been of the opinion since July that our most likely action is to acquire a big (or two) who is either bought out or traded on the cheap due to a roster crunch, so I'm waiting for that to not occur until I get terribly frustrated.  Derrick Favors, Xavier Tillman, Stanley Johnson (who was rejuvenated as a small 5 last year), and Paul Reed (given the acquisition of Harrell) are all names I've got my eye on for the next 3-4 weeks.  I might also add Boban and Kenyon Martin Jr. to that list.

Yeah, I would.  If I thought the front office was half-assing it, leading to losses, I'd be p---ed.

My point is that players tend to like their teammates.  Sometimes that doesn’t happen, of course, but for the most part they aren’t rooting for them to get replaced.  They like Kornet, and they trust him on the court.  Same thing with Hauser.  Similarly, they’re generally optimistic about injuries that aren’t of the obvious season-ending type, because they have to be optimistic about their own such injuries.  Rob’s out for a couple of weeks, and the mentality is to collectively step up and not freak out about it.

I think they’re disappointed for Rob, but not worrying about getting a vet center at this minute, especially if the names we banter around on this board are ones that don’t have the greatest locker room rep around the league.
I agree but...
Gallanari can be 15
Kornet 14
Hauser 13

That leaves 10-12
Unless they are fragile about their one roles, I would think they would want the best players.
I'm with you about waiting to see who shakes loose at the end of camps/pre-season. I just don't think we have to wait until we are 23-24 to make a decision.

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2022, 05:25:04 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The real issue is not Rob's current injury, it's the totality of his numerous injuries and the very real concern that he'll get injured again before the season is over. I'm sure the team can make do while Rob's out the first couple weeks of the season, but can they make do in the likely event that he misses a month or more later in the season?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2022, 05:29:03 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
The real issue is not Rob's current injury, it's the totality of his numerous injuries and the very real concern that he'll get injured again before the season is over. I'm sure the team can make do while Rob's out the first couple weeks of the season, but can they make do in the likely event that he misses a month or more later in the season?
Can the C's have good to great seeding AND have Rob "fully" healthy for the playoffs.

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2022, 05:29:37 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
Can the C's have good to great seeding AND have Rob, and the rest of the rotation, "fully" healthy for the playoffs.

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wonder what Myles Turner would cost?

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2022, 07:28:05 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
When the Celtics struggle out of the gates because guys like Hauser, Kornet and the other bench junk get cooked night in and out… maybe Brad will open his eyes and wake the F up.

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733

Exactly. He will continue to struggle with injuries, might as well accept that. Along with Brogdon.
For whatever the physiological reason is, certain players struggle to stay healthy in an extremely physically demanding sport.

I agree that ownership and management should have been more active to shore up our talented young core.
We are on the verge of a strong run of title contention but I think still a couple of pieces away.
I don't yet know if ownership is willing to do what is financially necessary to get there or not.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2022, 08:44:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That's the spirit!

I think that the above is a bit of fan fiction, honestly.

I think that players tend to be highly competitive.  If they had to choose between Kornet and Hauser or other players, they're taking the better players.  And, I don't think that there's any evidence at all that our starters "trust" Kornet or Hauser on the court.  I've yet to hear a guy say that what the team was missing last year was more minutes for Kornet and Hauser (both of whom were on the roster, neither of whom played).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2022, 09:10:44 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Honestly, if they could get Olynyk back, I would gladly take him over Howard, Cousins, or Whiteside.

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2022, 09:16:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Honestly, if they could get Olynyk back, I would gladly take him over Howard, Cousins, or Whiteside.

We can't, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2022, 09:24:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

We can't, though.
could have with the big TPE or had we used it on players and now have their salary on the roster.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2022, 09:31:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

We can't, though.
could have with the big TPE or had we used it on players and now have their salary on the roster.

True, but we can't un-ring that particular bell. 

Hopefully Brad realizes that a team needs NBA-quality players to win.  Jay King reports that we're not going to sign a veteran big man, so apparently he doesn't.