Author Topic: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?  (Read 10464 times)

Re: Re: TMZ Report: Kobe Killed in Helicopter Crash
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 08:02:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
PP says the NBA should retire Kobe's number around every arena and change the logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsO0dWUp97Y

It won’t be the first or last time Paul is wrong.

Kobe isn’t even the best player of his era. It sucks that he died at 41, but what happens when Lebron / Larry / Magic / Bill die?
Agreed. Just posting what he said.

Personally speaking, I never held Kobe in high esteem. I'm not gonna change my mind cause he passed away in his early 40s.

Never held any athlete in high esteem based exclussevely on their sporting achievements. If you ask me, they are just entertainers. Really don't see why people keep idolising them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:13:44 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
PP says the NBA should retire Kobe's number around every arena and change the logo.

Kobe isn’t even the best player of his era. It sucks that he died at 41, but what happens when Lebron / Larry / Magic / Bill die?

Personally speaking, I never held Kobe in high esteem. I'm not gonna change my mind cause he passed away in his early 40s.

Never held any athlete in high esteem based exclussevely on his sporting achievements. If you ask me, they are just entertainers. Really don't see why people keep idolising them.

Are you a Celtics Fan?

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Never held any athlete in high esteem based exclussevely on his sporting achievements. If you ask me, they are just entertainers. Really don't see why people keep idolising them.

Are you a Celtics Fan?
Huh? Yes, I am. What's that got to do with anything?

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 08:36:53 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Those deaths WILL be tragic, Roy.

But the MANNER in which we've lost Kobe.....the shock of it all..not only Kobe BUT his daughter and the seven others...

That is what - IMO - some here are failing to grasp.

For Kobe, especially - he was JUST beginning the next chapter of his life.

Roberto Clemente died in the same manner as Kobe did except for the fact that he was on his way to help earthquake victims in Latin America for charity.

His career was just as dominant and fantastic as Kobe’s was.

This is literally the exact same scenario with exception to the fact that Clemente died doing charity work no less.

The MLB didn’t change their logo and all the teams didn’t retire his number.  I get the over reaction bc of the severity of the tragedy but we all just need to pump the brakes a little bit
Greg

Re: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Maybe make teams retire the number for a year but that’s it 🤷🏻‍♂️

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Maybe make teams retire the number for a year but that’s it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think making all teams have a black 24 on the top corner of their jerseys for a season would be very appropriate
Greg

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can understand retiring Jackie Robinson's number across baseball to honor his achievement in breaking the color barrier and promoting inclusion for all in baseball.

I don't get retiring Kobe's number because he was good and died tragically. I didn't see teams across the league looking to retire other excellent players Reggie Lewis's and Drazen Petrovic's numbers when they died tragically.

Both were on trajectories for Hall of Fame careers and died an early tragic death while still playing. Nevermind the fact that the league didn't offer to retire their numbers across the league but the Celtics were actually penalized by Reggie Lewis dying suddenly.

Let LA retire his number. That is where it should be honored.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:04 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Kobe is massively popular. If it weren't for the rape allegations I would have been OK with the new logo idea. The NBA acts as if the scandal never happened, but you can't just sweep something like this under the carpet.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Yeah, it'd be a massive overreaction, an all around bad idea. I remember the events of Colorado as much as I remember anything else he accomplished in his life.

PP is a classic example of where, just because you're a former great of the game, you're arguments or opinions can be just as off base as Johnny from Burger King (and hello to Keith Foulke).

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 09:34:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
My thing is this -

What would it hurt for teams to retire 24 from their inventories?

Would it REALLY disrupt team chemistry? Upset a player that wore that number?

Is there a vote going on for this? How do fans feel about it?

Are they talking about actually "Raising" #24 to rafters across the NBA? If so - why would folks be upset about it?

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 09:36:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
No.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 09:39:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Kobe is massively popular. If it weren't for the rape allegations I would have been OK with the new logo idea. The NBA acts as if the scandal never happened, but you can't just sweep something like this under the carpet.

Thing is, though - is that I saw the rape allegations being discussed all over the news this morning and today...numerous channels...

So folks "know" about it...

Every single mention of it told a dark part of Kobe's life - one where he seemingly repented AND acknowledged that he hurt someone against their will.

If that is all some here want to remember - go ahead. That is your choice.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

First of all, No I dont think he should be the logo. With that said, legally he wasnt convicted. He is to be assumed innocent until proven otherwise, not the other way around. Also, he may be "just an entertainer" but as with other celebrities, these people touched lives. Esp soneone like kobe who wasnt only very popular, he waa also well travelled. He inspired and gave hope to a lot of people, kids especially. I am no kobe fan, quite the oppoaite actually. But you cant deny his impact on this world.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 09:48:53 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
My thing is this -

What would it hurt for teams to retire 24 from their inventories?

Would it REALLY disrupt team chemistry? Upset a player that wore that number?

Is there a vote going on for this? How do fans feel about it?

Are they talking about actually "Raising" #24 to rafters across the NBA? If so - why would folks be upset about it

Because it can cause more problems to do it than not to do it

Like someone mentioned earlier, if we start here then where does it stop.  When Lebron passes are we retiring his?  What about Jordan?

They might not die tragically like Kobe but maybe they lose a battle with cancer at a younger age.  Is that enough?

You might be able to draw the line some where but that doesn’t mean everyone else would.

The precedent across the sports world is that the team he played for retires his number.

Reggie Lewis, Roberto Clemente, Jerome Brown, Sean Taylor
Greg

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 10:28:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Wilt died. One day, Larry Legend, Jordan, Magic, Kareem will, too. Really doesn't make any sense to start retiring #s league-wide.