Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 67126 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #360 on: September 06, 2014, 12:29:23 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Who is jackie mac

« Reply #361 on: September 06, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
For what we have to work with, you could, taking that quote verbatim and in a vacuum, infer that Rondo wants to move to Waltham, or Lynn, or Woburn, or Franklin, because Rondo told the Celtics that he wants out of Boston. Feel free to try and prove me wrong.

Pretty sure Rondo doesn't live in Boston, so it's unlikely he'd want to move out of a city he doesn't live in. Pretty sure that would prove you wrong.

Context and qualifiers are exactly why we can't say anything about this -- the same way those single tweet 'sources say' are useless, and why people who are good at this job don't use them in any official capacity.

If we can't say anything about this the we can't say she's not just guessing whether he'll leave, we don't know whether she has any sources telling her anything or not and we don't know whether Rondo's supposed comment was anything stronger than "I won't guarantee I'll stay".

« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Who is jackie mac

She's a modern day Mata Hari, speaking in code to people who don't have decoder rings.

« Reply #363 on: September 06, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I don't believe it's absolutely, positively, 110% true, because I don't know the true context of Jackie Mac's quote.

We know EXACTLY what the context is for Jackie Mac's quote because we saw the frickin' video of her saying it.  We know what she said, what the context was and we know how what she said has been misrepresented and mischaracterized in this thread.

What we don't know is what, if anything, was said to her and how accurately she paraphrased it in her statement.  And given how few are willing to discuss what she actually said, not what you think she may have possibly meant but what she actually said, this thread can't die out fast enough.

Mike

You can't talk about what she said in any meaningful way without knowing what was said to her. That's exactly the point. The whole argument of the thread is based around whether or not you think she conjured the statement up out of nowhere, an idea which both you and Tim have both shown an affinity for throughout the thread, even though it's probably false.

I do find it interesting that none of you are going out of your way to throw shade on the Ric Bucher article that was recently posted here, despite the fact that it makes many of the same claims you've voraciously denied and denigrated in this thread.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #364 on: September 06, 2014, 01:40:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I don't believe it's absolutely, positively, 110% true, because I don't know the true context of Jackie Mac's quote.

We know EXACTLY what the context is for Jackie Mac's quote because we saw the frickin' video of her saying it.  We know what she said, what the context was and we know how what she said has been misrepresented and mischaracterized in this thread.

What we don't know is what, if anything, was said to her and how accurately she paraphrased it in her statement.  And given how few are willing to discuss what she actually said, not what you think she may have possibly meant but what she actually said, this thread can't die out fast enough.

Mike

You can't talk about what she said in any meaningful way without knowing what was said to her. That's exactly the point. The whole argument of the thread is based around whether or not you think she conjured the statement up out of nowhere, an idea which both you and Tim have both shown an affinity for throughout the thread, even though it's probably false.

Your stance in this thread is basically that you can't take what Jackie said at face value (which in no way implies that the comment was inaccurate) and that we have to infer things she didn't say, but we can only infer what you want us to. If you think "Rondo told the team he wants out" doesn't mean "Rondo told the team he wants out", why does it have to be read as "Rondo wants out under certain circumstances" and not "I think Rondo's probably told the team he wants out"?

Frankly, it sounds better for her if she doesn't have the inside info. If she's just guessing whether Rondo's told the team he'll leave, one guess is basically as good as another. If she was told specifically that Rondo told the team he's leaving but only if certain things do or don't happen but leaves that part out of her statement that comes dangerously close to making things up.

« Reply #365 on: September 06, 2014, 02:00:41 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Mike

how can we know the context if we don't know what she was exactly told?

If I use your words and say 'we don't know what, if anything, was said to her and how accurately she paraphrased it', then all we can do speculate what was exactly said to her and if anything was said to her, AND what the context was under that situation.

Using her past history as basis for credibility we can then come to a conclusion about what she meant and whether or not there's a poor, reasonable or strong possibility of it being true.
 The context here is not that it was said amongst friends on Around the Horn with no background information listening in as a third party- it's the context under what the information that was given to Jackie Mac was based on, snowballed by the notion that for her to make that statement among colleagues, given of her good reputation, she probably isn't just 'talking crap' or making stuff up.

Why would Jackie MacMullan make this up? What does she mean by 'he's told them he wants out' and what does 'wanting out' mean exactly?
 If you're going to take 'wanting out' so literally, then what does it mean? Has he demanded a trade? Has he said he's not playing for the Celtics regardless of what happens because he's done? Has he said he wants more top 20 players here or he's leaving? Has he said it as a threat in an attempt to make them bring in more players?

You're the master of verbatim, so you either think she's full of shhh... or you think she's saying that Rondo is completely done with the team and there's no coming back, no matter what happens. Which one is it?

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #366 on: September 06, 2014, 02:23:26 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I do find it interesting that none of you are going out of your way to throw shade on the Ric Bucher article that was recently posted here, despite the fact that it makes many of the same claims you've voraciously denied and denigrated in this thread.
The only comparable claims to me, were these:
Rondo, meanwhile, has repeatedly said how much he treasures being a Celtic, but he's never hid the fact that if the franchise doesn't want him he'd be OK going elsewhere.
...former Celtics coach Doc Rivers and a disciplined veteran such as Ray Allen found Rondo aggravating at times—and they both did—it's almost a certainty they'll have trouble with him.

And both, I feel, are more innocuous, than Jackie's.

« Reply #367 on: September 06, 2014, 03:46:18 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Who is jackie mac

She's a modern day Mata Hari, speaking in code to people who don't have decoder rings.

TP! Well played.

« Reply #368 on: September 06, 2014, 04:52:37 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My suspicion is that Jackie can't get her bosses to sign off on a story about why and whether Rondo's departure is imminent because no one in the Boston front office is willing to go on the record about it beyond a 'no comment.'

That's not how it works.  Since when did her bosses let a "no comment" from a front office prevent them from running a story?

Which is more likely...

1.  Jackie has a piece of super juicy information that literally NO ONE ELSE ON EARTH HAS but they're not running with it.

2.  Jackie doesn't actually have any hard info and was just BS-ing.

Mike
exactly.  You also gotta add that she decided to let these other guys know said super juicy info for no reason whatsoever.....annnddd Rondo did this but he and his agent have decided to lie about it for the time being, knowing they will essentially be exposed later.

I'm going with wishful BSing, exaggerating, and speculating.

She's a human and prone to human mistakes.  So am I. I could be wrong.

So she was never told anything, by any source that has inside information regarding the Celtics front office?
So quite simply she's made it up/speculating even with her overall good to very good reputation? Okay.

So you're saying that you absolutely believe it's true that Rondo's told the team that he wants out of Boston?

This thread is slowly dying, but I'll oblige.

None of us do. So all we can do is draw conclusions/speculate from the information in front of us. 

a) I do believe that Jackie Mac believes it's true that Rondo 'wants out' in one form or another.
b)  I believe someone has told Jackie Mac this and she trusts them-whether or not that information is bogus or misleading- I have no idea, there is definitely a possibility of this.
c) I'll also give her a higher than normal level of credit than most NBA journalists because of her good history of Celtics inside information on matters like this one.

So the most logical conclusion I can come to is that using the information Jackie Mac has, added to the notion Rondo's trade value isn't that high right now, and that both he and the Celtics best bet of getting the best outcome for everyone is that he stay and finish the season in Boston

- I'd say there's a high possibility that he's said he wants out as a free agent if we can't get any more stars to Boston to play with him. I think he wants to play in Boston, but under the condition that we aren't rebuilding during his prime. I don't think he's asked for a trade.

Let me ask you Tim. Do you think it's absolutely untrue that Rondo may have told the Celtics he wants out if they don't add another star soon? Do you think Jackie Mac made up the whole thing?

I'll oblige too. These mental gymnastics people are going through are pretty hard to take seriously. The whole "I don't know the context of her quote" nonsense is by and large coming from people who were attacking posters who were scoffing at the claim when the people doing the attacking didn't take it at face value either You started this thread, you saw the video, you saw the question that led to her comment, and you saw her entire comment. You were talking about how emphatic she was in her claim, now you're saying the opposite. Based on your current line of thinking, her comments weren't really all that thread-worthy.

In regards to your question, obviously I'm not 100% sure that Rondo hasn't said he'd want out if the Celts don't add another star. However, that's pretty much unrelated to Jackie's claim, since that's not what she said. As for her actual comment, it's apparently too vague to talk about. Nobody knows whether it's her opinion or whether she has sources. Nobody knows whether she meant that Rondo told the team he wants out, or whether she meant that he told the team that he might leave under certain circumstances. She might as well have not even opened her mouth. I'd say that it's fairly unlikely that her actual comment was true and accurate, and much as it bothers them nobody who's been supporting her in the thread has disagreed with me.

The effort is there ("I don't believe it's absolutely, positively, 110% true") but then reality ("I'd say there's a high possibility that he's said he wants out as a free agent if we can't get any more stars to Boston to play with him. I think he wants to play in Boston, but under the condition that we aren't rebuilding during his prime. I don't think he's asked for a trade"). Based on the second comment, the first one would qualify as quite an understatement.

Just because someone doesn't disagree with you doesn't mean they agree with you. I disagree with you in the sense that (I believe) she wouldn't make these claims without serious trust in her source. Because of that, I think there's a possibility that this is very true.

Where did I change my line of thinking about how emphatic she was on her comments? That's one of the biggest reasons this thread exists, and why the rumor went nationally haywire.

I've been repeatedly targeted (understandably because I made the thread) for pointing out that Jackie MacMullan has a solid reputation as a journalist with a strong history of reporting factual information and breaking news and rumors about the Celtics, and that people shouldn't be judging Jackie without knowing the context of what she's said because she's been right on some very big Celtics moments in recent history.

Just take note that your first reply to this thread was pointing out that she was possibly incorrect about Rivers' and Rondo's relationship, and how she obviously really wants Rondo traded, and she's probably just re-hashing old information, and that not remembering Isiah Thomas was traded is somehow relevant to her credibility as a source for Celtics information. One could have predicted that would be your first line of input- or something similar, by discrediting MacMullan with your own speculation.

Sounds like she's just dredging up out of date comments (including the Kings and Thomas as a possible trade). If nothing else you can certainly see that she really wants the team to trade Rondo, whether any of the rest of it is accurate remains to be seen.

I'm not 'attacking you', I'm pointing out that instead of attempting to step back and look at what she's saying with an open mind, you've immediately decided to go on the attack instead of asking yourself if this could potentially be true. Point being that your historical emotional attachment to Rondo tends to impose bias on your subjective opinion.

Then you've called D.o.s' context point 'absurd' when he suggested interpreting the quote in verbatim as lazy and you justified it with a Kevin Love example.

Yet you also said to LarBrd33 that Rondo's comments about Lebron leaving Miami should just be taken in the context of gamesmanship, and that he'd want Lebron to leave Miami because they're the best team.
Rondo wanting out shouldn't surprise anyone who has been paying attention.   Last interview I heard with him, two things stuck out.

#1 - He said if he was in LeBron's shoes, he'd leave Miami, because they no longer could win a title and the whole point is to win championships in this league.  INteresting considering the Heat had just been to the Finals.  What's that say about Rondo when he plays for a 25-35 win team? Clearly shows that Rondo wants to play for a contender.

That's likely just gamesmanship though. Why wouldn't Rondo want LeBron to leave? That broke up the team that won the east 4 straight years.

Is it likely gamesmanship because it's Rondo? Or is Sir Rondo on the verbatim exclusion list?
I'm trying to point out that no matter what the topic is, you can't help yourself but justify your arguments based on your passionate love for our point guard, rather than logic in a lot of cases.

Posters like myself and D.o.s have attempted to explain why we think J Mac has got some credibility and why it could be true; in a completely reasonable and respectable manner. I don't know if the responses opposed to this rumor being credible have been overwhelmingly similar.

Other than me pointing out a few things to you in this reply(which seem fair and reasonable after your accusation of me of back tracking) I'm not exactly sure who's been attacked for suggesting that Jackie Mac's wrong here, I've seen some constructed reasoning as to why we should consider her information as more than just 'opinionated speculation' or 'complete crap' as some have put it.

If someone can point out to me why Jackie MacMullan would lie about this in a well constructed argument, I'm happy to listen.

All I've read so far are explanations as to why there couldn't possibly be any truth to this, and that the speculation as to what the context of this statement actually is, is ridiculous, meanwhile this opposing argument is based on speculation and opinion and is being mostly headlined by adamant Rondo supporters.

Then there are posters like MBunge who seem to share the same reasoning to me as to why Rondo wouldn't want a trade, but don't agree with my interpretation of Jackie Mac's statement. I don't think you should take the comment at face value because it was a short comment on what she thought was a private conversation with her colleagues and that impacts the context of where it came from.

Anyway, just so you know- I don't want to trade Rondo. I want to keep Rondo.
I'm assuming D.o.s wants to keep Rondo.
We are simply pointing out the reasons why you should not be so quick to dismiss this information as if it were A Sherod Blakely as the bearer of bad news.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:31:46 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #369 on: September 06, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
My suspicion is that Jackie can't get her bosses to sign off on a story about why and whether Rondo's departure is imminent because no one in the Boston front office is willing to go on the record about it beyond a 'no comment.'

That's not how it works.  Since when did her bosses let a "no comment" from a front office prevent them from running a story?

Which is more likely...

1.  Jackie has a piece of super juicy information that literally NO ONE ELSE ON EARTH HAS but they're not running with it.

2.  Jackie doesn't actually have any hard info and was just BS-ing.

Mike
exactly.  You also gotta add that she decided to let these other guys know said super juicy info for no reason whatsoever.....annnddd Rondo did this but he and his agent have decided to lie about it for the time being, knowing they will essentially be exposed later.

I'm going with wishful BSing, exaggerating, and speculating.

She's a human and prone to human mistakes.  So am I. I could be wrong.

So she was never told anything, by any source that has inside information regarding the Celtics front office?
So quite simply she's made it up/speculating even with her overall good to very good reputation? Okay.

So you're saying that you absolutely believe it's true that Rondo's told the team that he wants out of Boston?

This thread is slowly dying, but I'll oblige.

None of us do. So all we can do is draw conclusions/speculate from the information in front of us. 

a) I do believe that Jackie Mac believes it's true that Rondo 'wants out' in one form or another.
b)  I believe someone has told Jackie Mac this and she trusts them-whether or not that information is bogus or misleading- I have no idea, there is definitely a possibility of this.
c) I'll also give her a higher than normal level of credit than most NBA journalists because of her good history of Celtics inside information on matters like this one.

So the most logical conclusion I can come to is that using the information Jackie Mac has, added to the notion Rondo's trade value isn't that high right now, and that both he and the Celtics best bet of getting the best outcome for everyone is that he stay and finish the season in Boston

- I'd say there's a high possibility that he's said he wants out as a free agent if we can't get any more stars to Boston to play with him. I think he wants to play in Boston, but under the condition that we aren't rebuilding during his prime. I don't think he's asked for a trade.

Let me ask you Tim. Do you think it's absolutely untrue that Rondo may have told the Celtics he wants out if they don't add another star soon? Do you think Jackie Mac made up the whole thing?

I'll oblige too. These mental gymnastics people are going through are pretty hard to take seriously. The whole "I don't know the context of her quote" nonsense is by and large coming from people who were attacking posters who were scoffing at the claim when the people doing the attacking didn't take it at face value either You started this thread, you saw the video, you saw the question that led to her comment, and you saw her entire comment. You were talking about how emphatic she was in her claim, now you're saying the opposite. Based on your current line of thinking, her comments weren't really all that thread-worthy.

In regards to your question, obviously I'm not 100% sure that Rondo hasn't said he'd want out if the Celts don't add another star. However, that's pretty much unrelated to Jackie's claim, since that's not what she said. As for her actual comment, it's apparently too vague to talk about. Nobody knows whether it's her opinion or whether she has sources. Nobody knows whether she meant that Rondo told the team he wants out, or whether she meant that he told the team that he might leave under certain circumstances. She might as well have not even opened her mouth. I'd say that it's fairly unlikely that her actual comment was true and accurate, and much as it bothers them nobody who's been supporting her in the thread has disagreed with me.

The effort is there ("I don't believe it's absolutely, positively, 110% true") but then reality ("I'd say there's a high possibility that he's said he wants out as a free agent if we can't get any more stars to Boston to play with him. I think he wants to play in Boston, but under the condition that we aren't rebuilding during his prime. I don't think he's asked for a trade"). Based on the second comment, the first one would qualify as quite an understatement.

Just because someone doesn't disagree with you doesn't mean they agree with you. I disagree with you in the sense that (I believe) she wouldn't make these claims without serious trust in her source. Because of that, I think there's a possibility that this is very true.

Where did I change my line of thinking about how emphatic she was on her comments? That's one of the biggest reasons this thread exists, and why the rumor went nationally haywire.

I've been repeatedly targeted (understandably because I made the thread) for pointing out that Jackie MacMullan has a solid reputation as a journalist with a strong history of reporting factual information and breaking news and rumors about the Celtics, and that people shouldn't be judging Jackie without knowing the context of what she's said because she's been right on some very big Celtics moments in recent history.

Just take note that your first reply to this thread was pointing out that she was possibly incorrect about Rivers' and Rondo's relationship, and how she obviously really wants Rondo traded, and she's probably just re-hashing old information, and that not remembering Isiah Thomas was traded is somehow relevant to her credibility as a source for Celtics information. One could have predicted that would be your first line of input- or something similar, by discrediting MacMullan with your own speculation.

Sounds like she's just dredging up out of date comments (including the Kings and Thomas as a possible trade). If nothing else you can certainly see that she really wants the team to trade Rondo, whether any of the rest of it is accurate remains to be seen.

I'm not 'attacking you', I'm pointing out that instead of attempting to step back and look at what she's saying with an open mind, you've immediately decided to go on the attack instead of asking yourself if this could potentially be true. Point being that your historical emotional attachment to Rondo tends to impose bias on your subjective opinion.

I didn't say that I was being attacked. I also haven't said that Jackie's claim couldn't be true. In fact in your previous post you asked me if I was 100% sure that Rondo hadn't told the Celts he wants out if they can't add another star and I said obviously I wasn't in the post you're quoting. Your tiresome claims of bias on my part would mean more if they weren't invariably based on a mis-characterization or wild exaggeration of my posts.

Also, take note that my first post in this thread was about how she may have been wrong about Rondo and Doc's relationship (her claim flies in the face of numerous comments by both Doc and Rondo as well as other reporters), that she seemed to be dredging up dated rumors (she was, in terms of the Rondo/Doc relationship and the Kings trade including someone no longer on their roster) and that she obviously wanted Rondo traded (which is a fairly safe assumption based on her demeanor in the video). All I did was list a few perfectly valid reasons to be skeptical about this claim, this is the kind of thing that somehow gets translated into wild bias in your mind.

Then you've called D.o.s' context point 'absurd' when he suggested interpreting the quote in verbatim as lazy and you justified it with a Kevin Love example.

Conceptually it is absurd. If you're going to take the tack that you have to assume that there might be unknown context that might change the meaning about every claim you read then there's no reason to bother debating the subject. One person could say "Danny told Rondo he'll never trade him" when the missing context is "in a deal that will kill our financial flexibility", another person could say "Danny told Rondo he'll trade him before the season starts" where the missing context is "if the offer is a young star and multiple unprotected picks". Both comments would be true, and could fall anywhere in the spectrum from "Danny will almost assuredly trade Rondo" to "Danny's unlikely to trade Rondo" based on your imagination.

Yet you also said to LarBrd33 that Rondo's comments about Lebron leaving Miami should just be taken in the context of gamesmanship, and that he'd want Lebron to leave Miami because they're the best team.
Rondo wanting out shouldn't surprise anyone who has been paying attention.   Last interview I heard with him, two things stuck out.

#1 - He said if he was in LeBron's shoes, he'd leave Miami, because they no longer could win a title and the whole point is to win championships in this league.  INteresting considering the Heat had just been to the Finals.  What's that say about Rondo when he plays for a 25-35 win team? Clearly shows that Rondo wants to play for a contender.

That's likely just gamesmanship though. Why wouldn't Rondo want LeBron to leave? That broke up the team that won the east 4 straight years.

Is it likely gamesmanship because it's Rondo? Or is Sir Rondo on the verbatim exclusion list?
I'm trying to point out that no matter what the topic is, you can't help yourself but justify your arguments based on your passionate love for our point guard, rather than logic in a lot of cases.

No, it's not likely gamesmanship just because it's Rondo. It's likely gamesmanship because a) as LarBrd noted, LeBron had just been to the finals and b) if we were to improve our team then it would benefit the Celts if LeBron left the Heat. If one of the big three had said something about how Wade or Bosh should leave the Heat in 2011 or so I'd make the same comment. Again, this is what passes for evidence in your mind that I'm wildly biased about Rondo. I'm not sure that "idiotic" would be an overstatement.

As for the rest, I don't think you really understood the conversation very well. I'm not telling LarBrd that he shouldn't take Rondo's claim verbatim. He's not trying to do that anyways, he's making a large leap of logic. He's saying Rondo said X so he must also think Y is true, I said that's not necessarily the case.

Posters like myself and D.o.s have attempted to explain why we think J Mac has got some credibility and why it could be true; in a completely reasonable and respectable manner. I don't know if the responses opposed to this rumor being credible have been overwhelmingly similar.

Other than me pointing out a few things to you in this reply(which seem fair and reasonable after your accusation of me of back tracking) I'm not exactly sure who's been attacked for suggesting that Jackie Mac's wrong here

I'd go with all of the claims that you and others have been making that dismiss the people who disagreed with the claim as doing so out of emotional attachment to Rondo (while amusing the rest of us with your claims of being completely logical and unbiased in all of your posts).

If someone can point out to me why Jackie MacMullan would lie about this in a well constructed argument, I'm happy to listen.

All I've read so far are explanations as to why there couldn't possibly be any truth to this, and that the speculation as to what the context of this statement actually is, is ridiculous, meanwhile this opposing argument is based on speculation and opinion and is being mostly headlined by adamant Rondo supporters.

I don't think all you've read are explanations as to why there couldn't possibly be any truth to this. You've mainly read claims that it's likely not true and mis-characterized them, possibly in your own mind when you read them. Your tendency to dismiss arguments if you think that the person who made them supports Rondo tends to blind you to some valid arguments. I'll also point out, for the nth time, that while you're attacking others for not believing Jackie's statement, you yourself don't believe it either, you just feel that it might be true if you add certain conditions to it that she didn't.

Then there are posters like MBunge who seem to share the same reasoning to me as to why Rondo wouldn't want a trade, but don't agree with my interpretation of Jackie Mac's statement. I don't think you should take the comment at face value because it was a short comment on what she thought was a private conversation with her colleagues and that impacts the context of where it came from.

You seem to go back and forth on this issue as it suits the current point you're making. You bolster your claim that she must have a solid source because she'd never report it if she didn't have one, yet you claim that you can't take her statement at face value because it was just a short comment in a private conversation. Which is it?

And how does her claim that she keeps telling everybody, but nobody believes her fit in with your answer? Do her colleagues all think that she's a liar? One would assume that the people who know her well are much less sure that she's got solid sources on the subject than you are. Or maybe everyone she talks to are blinded by their emotional attachments to Rondo?

« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Credit for this goes to DarkAzcura on RealGM.
Behind the scenes before going to air on 'Behind the Horn' this week.
Just a little off season banter from Jackie Mac. She seems to swear by it? Who's her source? There can't be that many people who would know about this. Hard part about watching this is realizing they are off air and she's just talking candidly about it.

*says he's told them he wants out
*says she's not sure who the Celtics can get any kind of equal value back from because the Knicks have nothing and Rondo has said he'll never re-sign in Sacramento.
*Interesting point she makes is that Doc is 'done' with Rondo, and Rondo drives him nuts.

While this isn't a comment on whether Rondo will get traded or not, you'd have to wonder how plugged in Jackie is when this was just in the globe.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/08/12/clippers-sale-steve-ballmer-goes-through/wzUdLhetoT7OQVkTKSa3uM/story.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rondo and Rivers have maintained a close relationship and the two have talked often this summer.

“Rondo’s going to be great this year,” Rivers said. “He’s going to be healthy. It’s the following year [after ACL surgery] that you become who you were. So I think Rondo will have a great year. And I think that will be great for the team.

“I do talk to Rondo. I don’t get into [his contract] because that’s an uncomfortable area for me and him, probably. So we don’t even touch that. I just think that he’s in a good frame of mind; that’s all that counts.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim even though they talk, doesnt mean doc wants to coach/work with Rondo again. IF chris paul was the main guy left over after kg and pp were traded , i bet rivers would have stayed

Obviously you don't have any idea if that's true or not. However, I'd say that "Doc is 'done' with Rondo, and Rondo drives him nuts" and "Rondo and Rivers have maintained a close relationship and the two have talked often this summer" are at all the same, and I'd tend to trust Doc and Rondo's opinion of their relationship over Jackie's opinion of it.

« Reply #371 on: September 24, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I've always thought the world of Jackie, great reporter
Now I'm worried she is going to be "televised" , yes its a swear word.  She might have to compete with the stephen a smith's of the world so she will be changed into a schlock reporter.
Anyone remember reading Frank Deford's amazing articles for sports illustrated way back when?  Now that he is on tv he is pretty hard to watch.

« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:34 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Ainge on Rondo Trade Rumors :'Very Credible People Have Made Things Up'

Hmm...

« Reply #373 on: September 24, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544