Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 67122 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Jackie "the rondo hater" Mac has been downright atrocious, and pathetic with a negative bias with any and all of her reporting when it comes to rondo, fact not opinion, I'd believe a dead rats word over hers when it comes to rajon...jus saying

Check ya facts: http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8510892/rajon-rondo-steps-shadows-boston-celtics-leader

Has she ever interviewed Rondo directly or are all of her Rondo articles based on second hand reports?

Did you read the article? She's got five or six direct quotes from Rondo, plus multiple quotes from Pierce, Bradley, KG, Dooling, Wilcox, Marquis Daniels..

I'd hardly call that second hand. It's a really interesting article that gives you a different look at the 11-12 team.

No need need to point out the quotes from other people since that is what I meant by second-hand. Yes I read it when it came out. But can you really tell the quotes are told directly to her or is he addressing the media as a whole.

Btw, I wouldn't used a 2 year old a as proof she has a affinity for Rondo.

Did you read the original context from when I posted the article? Cuz I didn't post it to show she had an affinity for Rondo, I posted it to show its categorically untrue that all of her rondo-related press was negative.

Jackie "the rondo hater" Mac has been downright atrocious, and pathetic with a negative bias with any and all of her reporting when it comes to rondo, fact not opinion, I'd believe a dead rats word over hers when it comes to rajon...jus saying

Check ya facts: http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8510892/rajon-rondo-steps-shadows-boston-celtics-leader

Yes, I saw the context and my point still stands. Two years ago Doc Rivers coached the team. She is obviously a big fan of Rivers (and has built a good rapport with him), so why would she release an article that was damaging to Rondos reputation? Doc was Rondo's main PR after the Ray Allen debacle. So her ties would be severed from Doc if she released such an article. So it's not a coincidence that her opinion of Rondo changed when Doc left.

Also, if you remember the beginning of the 2012-2013, Doc and others wanted to make Rondo believe that he was the leader of the team. So its not a surprise that Jackie wrote a story  illustrating it. She was just his mouthpiece.

« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yes, I saw the context and my point still stands. Two years ago Doc Rivers coached the team. She is obviously a big fan of Rivers (and has built a good rapport with him), so why would she release an article that was damaging to Rondos reputation? Doc was Rondo's main PR after the Ray Allen debacle. So her ties would be severed from Doc if she released such an article. So it's not a coincidence that her opinion of Rondo changed when Doc left.

Also, if you remember the beginning of the 2012-2013, Doc and others wanted to make Rondo believe that he was the leader of the team. So its not a surprise that Jackie wrote a story  illustrating it. She was just his mouthpiece.

But your point, that I was using the article to prove Jackie MacMullan has an 'affinity for Rondo' was irrelevant, because I wasn't using the article to prove any such thing. The thing I was disproving was that all of Jackie MacMullan's press was negatively biased towards Rondo.

If you want to cobble together some kind of conspiracy theory where Jackie only showed Rondo in a positive light because Doc Rivers influenced her to do so, that's really got nothing to do with my relatively simple point, IE, not all of Jackie MacMullen's press on Rajon Rondo has been negative.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One of the more recent things she has written about Rondo is this:

Remember, there's still no guarantee Rondo is sticking around for any of this. He does not want to languish with a young rebuilding team in the prime of his career. Can't say I blame him. He wants to play in a big market, which limits trade destinations for Boston, and he wants a max deal. He has not given the Celtics any guarantees he's in for the long haul.

Until I hear something otherwise, I am going with my interpretation that Rondo wants out if the team is going to go through a long rebuilding phase and that Jackie MacMullan thinks that a long rebuild is inevitable, so she thinks the team should just move on from Rondo ASAP.  However, I think Ainge is not tied to the idea of a long re-build and wants a shot to do some wheeling and dealing in the summer of 2015, which he can't do if he trades Rondo and doesn't get a similarly great player back in the deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Pull the Trigga Danny, Pull it!

« Reply #259 on: September 03, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
So really, in the end, 18 pages about a whole lot of nothing...Jackie w/ an off the cuff / off camera remark, and it gets blown out of proportion / context.

We all really need training camp to start so we can actually talk about some real news.

« Reply #260 on: September 03, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So really, in the end, 18 pages about a whole lot of nothing...Jackie w/ an off the cuff / off camera remark, and it gets blown out of proportion / context.

We all really need training camp to start so we can actually talk about some real news.
Not really, it was pretty big news. The fact that Jackie Mac backed down from it and elicited a denial from Rondo and his agent was also pretty big news.

Just because we ended up at the same status quo as we began doesn't mean there weren't noteworthy steps in between.

« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Maybe Jackie simply needs to re-familiarize herself with Mr Kipling's writings.

I think she may have forgotten the impact of the word "if". Which is about the most slack  I'm willing to cut her on this one. More likely she knew exactly what she was doing, which would be nothing more than living down to the typical ESPN sensationalist approach to 'reporting'.

Some of you may still put her on some sort of pedestal, but not I. She is as easy to see through as a pane of glass.

« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2014, 06:01:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480

Not really, it was pretty big news. The fact that Jackie Mac backed down from it and elicited a denial from Rondo and his agent was also pretty big news.

Just because we ended up at the same status quo as we began doesn't mean there weren't noteworthy steps in between.

Rondo wanting a trade if the rebuild takes longer than a few years (which is all that I got out of this) really doesn't seem very surprising to me.  The reality of the whole free agency / trade situation with Rondo wasn't made any clearer by any of this.  It is still up in the air depending on what DA can pull off, and how Rondo recovers / regains form.  Exactly where it stood before Jackie's comments surfaced.

« Reply #263 on: September 03, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Important lessons learned this week:
* The league would never fine LeBron - outside of those times they already have.
* Jackie MacMullan is a Rondo hater who takes advantage of every opportunity she gets to bash Rondo - outside of those times she's spoken complimentary of him.
* OKC and Kevin Durant are better off without Westbrook, who's just holding them back - outside of that time they ended up washing out of the playoffs due to Westbrook's injury.

« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
* The league would never fine LeBron - outside of those times they already have.
* Jackie MacMullan is a Rondo hater who takes advantage of every opportunity she gets to bash Rondo - outside of those times she's spoken complimentary of him.
* OKC and Kevin Durant are better off without Westbrook, who's just holding them back - outside of that time they ended up washing out of the playoffs due to Westbrook's injury.

Good synopsis, top marks.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Don't forget that Rondo is a role player who can never be a leader and must be traded. Though I felt that OKC got ousted this year because of Ibaka's injury.

« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
One of the more recent things she has written about Rondo is this:

Remember, there's still no guarantee Rondo is sticking around for any of this. He does not want to languish with a young rebuilding team in the prime of his career. Can't say I blame him. He wants to play in a big market, which limits trade destinations for Boston, and he wants a max deal. He has not given the Celtics any guarantees he's in for the long haul.

Until I hear something otherwise, I am going with my interpretation that Rondo wants out if the team is going to go through a long rebuilding phase and that Jackie MacMullan thinks that a long rebuild is inevitable, so she thinks the team should just move on from Rondo ASAP.  However, I think Ainge is not tied to the idea of a long re-build and wants a shot to do some wheeling and dealing in the summer of 2015, which he can't do if he trades Rondo and doesn't get a similarly great player back in the deal.

Nothing is set in stone. If Smart, or Sully, or KO have a breakout season, Ainge could then trade one of them together with some of picks from the stockpile for an all-star caliber vet to pair with Rondo and speed up the rebuild. If Rondo looks great to start the season, the best he's ever played, but Smart, KO and Sullinger all struggle , Ainge could get great value for Rondo and go for a longer rebuild. Either way, unless someone comes calling with an amazing offer, there is no reason to make a move right now.

« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jackie seems like a nice lady and a well-respected, competent pro.  Everyone says so, and that's been the case for awhile.

It seems there's a fairly good chance that she's wrong on this one, though.  If she is, it's a major gaffe by her.  Sometimes you have to take some risks.  Jackie has definitely gone out on a limb and taken a risk on this on.  Good for her.  But, if she's made a mistake, she should be held accountable in some way.  I'm not saying she should lose her job or anything, but some of her credibility will rightfully be diminished.

I agree, even though she is now working at ESPN she needs to hold herself to a higher standard than some of the other blowhards (on that network) that are consistently making up false stories based on inside sources. She has written some really great pieces over the years, tough to see her being just a talking head

I am curious as to what, exactly, you guys think she has to be wrong about in her initial statement -- rather than the fallout of what her position has been as represented by the 'she's a wench' contingent here.

"He's told them he wants out." 

That's a fairly clear statement.  I believe that it could well be the case that he hasn't told them anything of the kind.

So, essentially, because you don't want to believe it, the option that she's wrong over a relatively nebulous statement is more palatable.

That seems to be the thrust of most of the 'she's making it up' type posts.

I don't get what's so nebulous about the statement.  She said that "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out."

That part seems fairly clear.  Maybe she's right.  But, I'm not ready to accept it as a given.  I don't think that means I'm living in some kind of a dream world, but you are free to form your own opinions. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Has she ever interviewed Rondo directly or are all of her Rondo articles based on second hand reports?

Did you read the article? She's got five or six direct quotes from Rondo, plus multiple quotes from Pierce, Bradley, KG, Dooling, Wilcox, Marquis Daniels..

I'd hardly call that second hand. It's a really interesting article that gives you a different look at the 11-12 team.

No need need to point out the quotes from other people since that is what I meant by second-hand. Yes I read it when it came out. But can you really tell the quotes are told directly to her or is he addressing the media as a whole.

Did you read the original context from when I posted the article? Cuz I didn't post it to show she had an affinity for Rondo, I posted it to show its categorically untrue that all of her rondo-related press was negative.

So if that's the case, then you're basically saying you believe her when she said "Doc can't stand him", right? Coincidentally, that's also the second time in a year the same thing has been reported.

It isn’t just that he doesn’t want to be a part of a rebuilding situation; it is because he has an intense dislike for point guard Rajon Rondo.

A source close to the Celtics tells Chris Sheridan of SheridanHoops.com that Rondo dropped an F-bomb on Rivers in the locker room during a team meeting, and Rivers went after Rondo and tried to fight him before the fracas was broken up.

« Reply #269 on: September 03, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

So if that's the case, then you're basically saying you believe her when she said "Doc can't stand him", right? Coincidentally, that's also the second time in a year the same thing has been reported.

It isn’t just that he doesn’t want to be a part of a rebuilding situation; it is because he has an intense dislike for point guard Rajon Rondo.

A source close to the Celtics tells Chris Sheridan of SheridanHoops.com that Rondo dropped an F-bomb on Rivers in the locker room during a team meeting, and Rivers went after Rondo and tried to fight him before the fracas was broken up.

According to both Doc and Rondo they're friends and talk to each other on a regular basis. I guess Sheridan and Jackie go to the same time capsule for their "inside information".