Author Topic: Ja Morant (Suspended 25 Games)  (Read 5330 times)

Ja Morant (Suspended 25 Games)
« on: June 02, 2023, 04:09:57 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
I know some people have been floating the idea of trading for ja morant. Silver today said they have uncovered a lot of new information but will wait till conclusion of finals to release it. Lot of bad rumors about ja online, no clue if they are true, but starting to feel like an a Hernandez situation to me. I think we should hold off on suggesting we get this guy right now .

https://twitter.com/dailyloud/status/1664428122874302464?s=46&t=dN0oB2tYfalMAsUpayXtaA
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 11:37:19 AM by Roy H. »

Re: Ja morant
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 04:25:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Meh. It's Adam Silver. It's probably just another manufactured scandal like with Ime Udoka.

Morant shouldn't have even be suspended for this. Criticized? Sure. Suspended? No.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 05:12:00 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Meh. It's Adam Silver. It's probably just another manufactured scandal like with Ime Udoka.

Morant shouldn't have even be suspended for this. Criticized? Sure. Suspended? No.

Care to elaborate on this? He is had like 4 incidents with guns in the last year and has been investigated by police multiple times. I dont think many people can waive a gun around on social media repeatedly and keep their job. And we are complaining about a suspension? That’s crazy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 05:28:37 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 06:22:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

Care to elaborate on this? He is had like 4 incidents with guns in the last year and has been investigated by police multiple times. I dont think many people can waive a gun around on social media repeatedly and keep their job. And we are complaining about a suspension? That’s crazy.

Ja did nothing illegal. He is open carry state. What he did was stupid but stupid isn't illegal. He should face a wave of criticism and social shaming.

It is not the place for his employer to step in. It would be if it happened at the workplace but not in the privacy of his car or equivalent of the town square of social media.

His prior incidents do not matter if he did nothing illegal here. If one of those warrant a suspension, suspend him for that. Not this.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 06:24:32 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

As I understand it some people waive a gun around of social media as their job  ;D

I don't think the manufactured scandal comment is fair, necessarily. Obviously it's impossible to substantiate a lot of the rumours and noise that came out, but there were two persistent narratives.

Either: Udoka was having an affair with a staffer, and everyone was aware and didn’t care, until the staffer reported “unwanted remark” by him - kicking off the investigation and suspension. No indication of what the unwanted remark would be.

Or: Udoka was having an affair with a Senior VP’s wife. In this reading, the husband was the primary force for Ime be fired. Other people in the organisation pushed back, which is why they ended up with the 'non-disciplinary' one year suspension - because they had to find out if there were any specific HR rules that were broken before firing him. Hence the investigation.

No idea which one is true, but if it's the former the Rockets just don't care about Udoka's behaviour with staffers and if it's the latter the Rockets just don't care about Udoka's behaviour with higher ups in the organisation. Either way, the Rockets don't care about Udoka's behaviour - not because it's defensible, but because they have decided he's worth the improvement in the coaching department.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 06:46:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Did Morant violate any provision of the CBA this past time?   

If not, was he under some sort of probation after his initial suspension?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 09:15:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The fact that the announcement has been pushed to after the Finals makes me think it’s big
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 09:29:54 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
It's got to be half a season (41 games).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 02:47:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

I believe he was on probation for first event. Also from what I remember the players union did not protest his first suspension very much, which is quite unusual. Most companies have sort of honor code or code of conduct clause. For me, working in social media I have seen hundreds of issues caused by social media activity that may not be technically illegal. For example, if someone is caught on a video that goes viral on Twitter yelling the n word at someone they are almost always fired. I am a bit perplexed that people don’t think this is justified. Also I agree with others that pushing this till after finals suggests it is something really big.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 03:09:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I believe he was on probation for first event. Also from what I remember the players union did not protest his first suspension very much, which is quite unusual. Most companies have sort of honor code or code of conduct clause. For me, working in social media I have seen hundreds of issues caused by social media activity that may not be technically illegal. For example, if someone is caught on a video that goes viral on Twitter yelling the n word at someone they are almost always fired. I am a bit perplexed that people don’t think this is justified. Also I agree with others that pushing this till after finals suggests it is something really big.

Well, it's not so much that it's not justified in a moral sense.  But with the CBA, they need clear legal authority.  I'm just curious what provision they're going to use when they suspend him.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 03:44:09 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
The fact that the announcement has been pushed to after the Finals makes me think it’s big
I agree..I think he be suspended 25 games without pay
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 03:16:31 PM by Birdman »
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 03:42:47 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I have suspected, and posted, that I think part of the issue with Udoka is that he may have lied or not been fully forthcoming with Wyc and/or Stevens.   I don't know any of this of course but if Wyc had asked him about it and Udoka assured him he would stop or assured him there was nothing to it but then the investigation revealed otherwise, this would lead Wyc to respond more strongly.  I get the feeling that the same kind of thing may be in play now with Morant.  He had met with Silver and said all the right things but then went right back out and did the same things again.

As to what he has done, I share the concern or confusion over why it is OK for Congressmen to send out Christmas Cards with their children holding assault rifles but it is not OK for a NBA player to wave his gun in public.  Silver can fall back on "conduct detrimental to the league".  That is pretty vague and broad.  And I think NBA players driving around and waving guns is detrimental to the league.  I don't think the Players Assoc. wants players doing this any more than the league does.  But there is some irony (at a minimum) here.

Laws allow you to stand your ground, make citizen's arrests.  Recent cases have shown that you can shoot someone for pretty much any reason so long as you say you felt threatened.  You can travel from another state, walk the streets with a rifle, and then shoot someone and not get convicted.  Just say you were threatened.  I don't like seeing what Morant did.  I think it is dangerous for him and others.  But isn't that exactly what gun advocates, 2nd amendment advocates want?  People bring assault rifles to protests at State Houses and are patriots in the eyes of many.  Why isn't Morant a great Patriot for having a gun?  Why hasn't the NRA spoken out in his defense?

Ironic.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324

I'm not sure what was manufactured. Why would the Celtics have an incentive to fire Ime after a successful first year as a coach?

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 04:24:29 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 616
I have suspected, and posted, that I think part of the issue with Udoka is that he may have lied or not been fully forthcoming with Wyc and/or Stevens.   I don't know any of this of course but if Wyc had asked him about it and Udoka assured him he would stop or assured him there was nothing to it but then the investigation revealed otherwise, this would lead Wyc to respond more strongly.  I get the feeling that the same kind of thing may be in play now with Morant.  He had met with Silver and said all the right things but then went right back out and did the same things again.

As to what he has done, I share the concern or confusion over why it is OK for Congressmen to send out Christmas Cards with their children holding assault rifles but it is not OK for a NBA player to wave his gun in public.  Silver can fall back on "conduct detrimental to the league".  That is pretty vague and broad.  And I think NBA players driving around and waving guns is detrimental to the league.  I don't think the Players Assoc. wants players doing this any more than the league does.  But there is some irony (at a minimum) here.

Laws allow you to stand your ground, make citizen's arrests.  Recent cases have shown that you can shoot someone for pretty much any reason so long as you say you felt threatened.  You can travel from another state, walk the streets with a rifle, and then shoot someone and not get convicted.  Just say you were threatened.  I don't like seeing what Morant did.  I think it is dangerous for him and others.  But isn't that exactly what gun advocates, 2nd amendment advocates want?  People bring assault rifles to protests at State Houses and are patriots in the eyes of many.  Why isn't Morant a great Patriot for having a gun?  Why hasn't the NRA spoken out in his defense?

Ironic.

Do you know exactly what the league has found and what line of a contract  they are going to pursue a punishment? No you don't, so lets find out if he broke company policy. I'm not saying I support what could happen to him, but lets wait for all the facts.

As for the rest of your post ::)
You're taking the hyperbole a little too far.  Lemme guess, you think the pro gun people are not rushing to he defense due to race. I'd bank on it. If I'm off base, then my apologies.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2023, 04:38:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

Ironic.

Want to add it Is not just the guns on Instagram those are more the final straw. The league investigated an incident where it was believed ja was in a car that pointed a laser onto the pacers team bus (believed by some to be a gun). The league found enough to ban one of his best friends from the stadium. The police also investigated him pulling a gun on a teenager last summer. These incidents certainly seem a bit more serious (particularly the one where pacers players felt threatened) than a Christmas card with guns from a congressman.