Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 576095 times)

johnnygreen, Who, 86MaxwellSmart, SparzWizard, blink, libermaniac, Donoghus, GreenEnvy, NextCeltic34, celticsclay, mr. dee, j804, Emmette Bryant, hpantazo and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #4170 on: March 19, 2024, 02:41:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I worry more about Orlando than the Cavs.

Bucks still Boston's biggest threat.

Heat don't look like a team that is going to make a run out of the 7 or 8 seed again. That dream isn't happening again this season.

Earlier this season I was worried about Indiana.  They've really fallen off with Halliburton's slump.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4171 on: March 19, 2024, 04:26:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
Anthony Edwards puts John Collins on a poster…

Dunk of the year?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPDNY0VnHQ&pp=ygUbYW50aG9ueSBlZHdhcmRzIHBvc3RlciBkdW5r

Reminds me of that Tom Chambers dunk on Mark Jackson. Chambers goes up, body contact, the contact pushes Chamber even higher over Jackson and then he slams it down hard. Edwards same thing. High jump, contact, pushed higher by the contact, slams down hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDyBSTQDwH8

« Reply #4172 on: March 19, 2024, 07:14:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
In the Kings win over the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday, Sabonis recorded his 50th consecutive double-double. In that stretch, he's had 49 points-rebounds double-doubles and one points-assists double-double. For the run, Sabonis has averaged 20.6 points, 14.3 rebounds and 8.8 assists.

That is an incredible stat line over 50 games.

Only eight other players have hit the 50-game mark for consecutive double-doubles: Elgin Baylor, Walt Bellamy, Wilt Chamberlain, Elvin Hayes, Kevin Love, Jerry Lucas, Moses Malone and Bill Russell.

Chamberlain holds the record with 227 consecutive double-doubles. Chamberlain also had runs of 220 and 133 consecutive games with a double-double.

I am surprised there is no Duncan or Garnett there. They were double double machines. No Kareem either.

« Reply #4173 on: March 19, 2024, 07:18:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
In the Kings win over the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday, Sabonis recorded his 50th consecutive double-double. In that stretch, he's had 49 points-rebounds double-doubles and one points-assists double-double. For the run, Sabonis has averaged 20.6 points, 14.3 rebounds and 8.8 assists.

Only eight other players have hit the 50-game mark for consecutive double-doubles: Elgin Baylor, Walt Bellamy, Wilt Chamberlain, Elvin Hayes, Kevin Love, Jerry Lucas, Moses Malone and Bill Russell.

Chamberlain holds the record with 227 consecutive double-doubles. Chamberlain also had runs of 220 and 133 consecutive games with a double-double.

I am surprised there is no Duncan or Garnett there. They were double double machines. No Kareem either.

Sabonis is very quietly a very good player.  Would you rather have Sabonis or Porzingis? 

« Reply #4174 on: March 19, 2024, 07:43:03 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

Sabonis is very quietly a very good player.  Would you rather have Sabonis or Porzingis?

Sabonis, if for no other reason that he’s proven to be much more durable.

« Reply #4175 on: March 19, 2024, 07:58:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I don't rate Sabonis highly. I always felt his impact was less than his gaudy stat lines.

Porzingis is certainly the more talented of the two players. Far more talent as both a scorer and as a defender. A better player on both ends.

Sabonis a better rebounder. His passing is an advantage for him too. I feel he has to become more reliable as a shot-creator / scorer to surpass Porzingis. Sabonis is too much of a good times only type of player. Like the friend that is around when times are good and the party is going on but disappears when times are hard. By that I mean, he is too undependable as a scorer and too bad of a defender. Not a player for all weathers. Only a player for good sunshine.

« Reply #4176 on: March 19, 2024, 08:16:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Can we have both Porzingis and Sabonis? Shift KP to PF and Sabonis to C.

PG - Derrick White
SG - Jaylen Brown
SF - Jayson Tatum
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Domantas Sabonis

That lineup would ought to surpass the 73-9 Warriors. Obv we gotta give up our farm and bench players. Just sign ring-chasing vets and we good.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4177 on: March 19, 2024, 08:54:51 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560
Can we have both Porzingis and Sabonis? Shift KP to PF and Sabonis to C.

PG - Derrick White
SG - Jaylen Brown
SF - Jayson Tatum
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Domantas Sabonis

That lineup would ought to surpass the 73-9 Warriors. Obv we gotta give up our farm and bench players. Just sign ring-chasing vets and we good.
I mean if you added any All NBA level talent to the C's without subtracting anyone they'd challenge for best record of all time if healthy.  Of course there is no way to do that.  I do like Sabonis, but it probably take Brown to get him (other stuff to Boston as well, but there really is no other starting point).  If the season doesn't end well for both teams, I do think there are potential trade options out there.  I probably wouldn't do it, but I'd consider Sabonis and Murray for Brown as an example.  Not sure either team does that, but it would be an interesting trade if both teams flame out and feel they need a change. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4178 on: March 19, 2024, 09:28:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Fun game between the Nuggets and T-Wolves on NBA TV. Edwards is something else. Also, good to see Luke Garza and TJ Warren getting some minutes for Minnesota.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 09:36:11 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4179 on: March 19, 2024, 11:43:04 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Fun game between the Nuggets and T-Wolves on NBA TV. Edwards is something else. Also, good to see Luke Garza and TJ Warren getting some minutes for Minnesota.

Was watching as well. Man Joker is such a cheat code. Feels like he can score whenever he wants to. It would be interesting to see how we defend him if ever we meet in the finals.

« Reply #4180 on: March 20, 2024, 06:01:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Wow, Minnesota started Kyle Anderson at center against Jokic and only lost by 3pts in a nailbiter. Jaden McDaniels at PF. Three guards. Ant, Conley, NAW.

No Gobert. No Towns. No Naz Reid. Against Jokic.

Jokic 35pts 16reb

« Reply #4181 on: March 20, 2024, 08:09:13 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 293
Wow, Minnesota started Kyle Anderson at center against Jokic and only lost by 3pts in a nailbiter. Jaden McDaniels at PF. Three guards. Ant, Conley, NAW.

Jokic 35pts 16reb

i didn't watch the game, but i noticed that Jokic only had 2 assists. so i'm wondering if he just decided to feast on the matchups rather than his usual passing display? despite the loss, is that the best strategy for beating denver? bait him into high scoring rather than picking up assists? idk

« Reply #4182 on: March 20, 2024, 08:47:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Jokic 35pts 16reb

i didn't watch the game, but i noticed that Jokic only had 2 assists. so i'm wondering if he just decided to feast on the matchups rather than his usual passing display? despite the loss, is that the best strategy for beating denver? bait him into high scoring rather than picking up assists? idk

I also didn't watch, but had checked the score and saw that Denver was up big at one point.  The box score says they had a 15 point halftime lead, which was cut to three points.  Was this an example of Denver simply losing focus, like the Celts often do?  I see they had 17 turnovers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4183 on: March 20, 2024, 11:50:19 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970

Jokic 35pts 16reb

Personally for us I think this is the best strategy, primarily due to it being a numbers game. Give him different single coverage looks all night and let him pile up big points and stats on post ups, as that’s where he’s going to do the vast majority of his damage. We’ll exchange his two points for a more varied offense of threes and twos, and he’ll end up tiring at the end of games and later in the series with such a workload, especially with how much we should put him in defensive actions.

« Reply #4184 on: March 20, 2024, 12:26:09 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 293

Jokic 35pts 16reb

I also didn't watch, but had checked the score and saw that Denver was up big at one point.  The box score says they had a 15 point halftime lead, which was cut to three points.  Was this an example of Denver simply losing focus, like the Celts often do?  I see they had 17 turnovers.

could be. or perhaps those were bench minutes for Jokic. i'm not up to date, but wasn't/isn't Denver a bottom-type offense (or something) when Jokic sits?