Author Topic: Neighborhoods outside of Boston  (Read 9717 times)

Neighborhoods outside of Boston
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Hey everyone,

So I've lived in New York my entire life and was recently accepted to BC Law School. It's been a top choice of mine for a while, so it looks very likely that I'll end up attending this fall. That being said, the school does not provide housing, and I'll have to find somewhere to live.

From what I've been told, students tend to live around the Cleveland Circle stop and various areas around Allston and Brighton. I'd ideally like to be a decent driving distance from the school (in Newton) while not being too far from the city as well.

I essentially have no knowledge of the area; I've really only gone to Boston to watch Celtics games. So if anyone could provide me with any insight into some of the areas I've mentioned, or has had any experience or recommendations regarding good, safe (and not crazy expensive) areas to live around there, I would very much appreciate that.

Best,
CFF
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Re: Neighborhoods outside of Boston
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:48 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Hey everyone,

So I've lived in New York my entire life and was recently accepted to BC Law School. It's been a top choice of mine for a while, so it looks very likely that I'll end up attending this fall. That being said, the school does not provide housing, and I'll have to find somewhere to live.

From what I've been told, students tend to live around the Cleveland Circle stop and various areas around Allston and Brighton. I'd ideally like to be a decent driving distance from the school (in Newton) while not being too far from the city as well.

I essentially have no knowledge of the area; I've really only gone to Boston to watch Celtics games. So if anyone could provide me with any insight into some of the areas I've mentioned, or has had any experience or recommendations regarding good, safe (and not crazy expensive) areas to live around there, I would very much appreciate that.

Best,
CFF
Hey I went to BC undergrad, and have friends that went to BC law. I know the campus really well.

If you want to drive to class Newton is good. The housing immediately around BC is pretty expensive relative to what you get so I wouldn't do that. I currently live in Brookline and it's great, an apartment in Brookline is considerably more expensive than the exact same apartment in Allston/Brighton. If you want to drive in Jamaica Plain and Newton are good.

If you do want to look in Brookline I can pm you the realtor who has found my last two apartments for us.

So I guess the answer to your question depends on what you are looking for in an apartment. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not sure how old you are but avoid Allston-Brighton if you can. 

I got the hell out of dodge & crossed the river after graduating BC undergrad and lived in Somerville.  However, you would probably want yourself an easier commute than that. 

Newton/Watertown/Brookline all would be good options.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hey everyone,

Best,
CFF
Hey I went to BC undergrad, and have friends that went to BC law. I know the campus really well.

If you want to drive to class Newton is good. The housing immediately around BC is pretty expensive relative to what you get so I wouldn't do that. I currently live in Brookline and it's great, an apartment in Brookline is considerably more expensive than the exact same apartment in Allston/Brighton. If you want to drive in Jamaica Plain and Newton are good.

If you do want to look in Brookline I can pm you the realtor who has found my last two apartments for us.

So I guess the answer to your question depends on what you are looking for in an apartment. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.
This is true, but you get what you pay for.  I consider Brookline to be considerably nicer than Allston/Brighton which seems to have many undergrad style apartments.  Brookline is more professionals and grad students.  You can find good values and decent apartments in Jamaica Plain.  Newton can be a good bit more expensive.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not sure how old you are but avoid Allston-Brighton if you can. 

I got the hell out of dodge & crossed the river after graduating BC undergrad and lived in Somerville.  However, you would probably want yourself an easier commute than that. 

Newton/Watertown/Brookline all would be good options.
I drive from Somerville to Newton in the mornings to drop off the kid in daycare, and the commute isn't horrible. You'll chiefly be going sideways and against morning traffic.

It also depends on where you want to live. Newton can be a pretty sleepy place (it's mostly a typical suburban area with family housing and little to do within walking distance). Somerville/Cambridge have a more new-yorkish feel and are generally walkable with a decent amount of restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 05:57:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I consider Brookline to be considerably nicer than Allston/Brighton which seems to have many undergrad style apartments.  Brookline is more professionals and grad students.
Brookline may be nicer, but what people really pay for is the school system. For someone moving in to rent without kids, I'd probably recommend some place like Watertown right off the Newton line (Watertown Sq and the likes).

... and yes, I'm also fan of that side of the river.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."