Author Topic: Draft Day Nightmare Picks!  (Read 16508 times)

Re: Draft Day Nightmare Picks!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Now my nightmare: his name is Mario Hezonja.
Check out his stats. I mean take a serious, good look: he hardly has playing experience (16.5 mpg this year, but well below 10 mpg the previous two seasons), he averages 7.7 ppg and is 20 yo. He also has attitude issues.
Does this look like //the player who could very well end up being the best scorer in this draft//?(Kevin O'Konnor). Is this guy a top 5 or even a top 10 pick?

The reason behind the whole Hezinsanity is that he plays for Barcelona which has in the past sent several good players to the NBA. He also had a very good performance with Croatia at FIBA's under 16 European championship in 2011. And here's where the Pau Gasol associations kick in (oh he plays for Barca, he is the star of his national team, he must be the new Euro-star player).
Not gonna happen. IMO his ceiling is lower than James Young's and the C's should stay away from this guy.

(If you want to understand more my feelings, just take a look at Vezenkov, who is taller, younger, much more experienced and a proven scorer- yet he is projected to be a second rounder just because his team, Ares Salonica, is not well known abroad- same story as Antetokounmpo- I see underrated draft prospect written all over this kid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Vezenkov).

In the photo, me waking up in the middle of the night after a nightmare that we traded up to draft Hezonja.

TP, I feel the same way about Hezonja ;D!
I don't get the hype around this guy due to the fact that he hasn't really shown anything. He barely plays for Barca.
Luckily some team will pick him around 5-8 so we don't have to worry (given that we can't trade to get that high up in the draft). Furthermore I don't that Danny likes guys coming from overseas, hence that he hasn't drafted a guy from there besides Semih Erden.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:43 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
My own nightmares:

1) Selecting Upshaw at #16

2) Trading up to get Kaminsky (also called, "The Olynyk")

3) Trading into the top 7 to select WCS

I wouldn't be surprised by that pick, he won't be available at #28 and he effectively raised his stock in the combine by showing some poise and maturity. If we take him at #16 he will have no choice but to try to live up to it. He has Rudy Gobert(who turned out to be a steal) potential, he even mentioned the Celtics first when asked what teams he's interested in... I think It's a good gamble... especially if we don't feel comfortable giving up certain assets to move up to get WCS...

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 11:24:25 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
My own nightmares:

I wouldn't be surprised by that pick, he won't be available at #28 and he effectively raised his stock in the combine by showing some poise and maturity. If we take him at #16 he will have no choice but to try to live up to it. He has Rudy Gobert(who turned out to be a steal) potential, he even mentioned the Celtics first when asked what teams he's interested in... I think we would It's a good gamble... especially if we don't feel comfortable giving up certain assets to move up to get WCS...

Yeah, you could do a lot worse than Upshaw at 16. He has elite defensive potential, and sure there's bust risk, but look: we have TONS of draft picks the next few years. I'd way rather have a mix of busts and steals than just a bunch of average roleplayers.

My nightmare is probably trading up for Stanley Johnson. He's a guy who scored a lot by bullying smaller players, so he's a classic transition risk. He showed poor defensive focus for a supposed 2-way player and his defensive playmaking stats were really mediocre. And worst of all, he was terrible at finishing near the basket despite his size advantage. How will he possibly improve in that area once he has to face the Goberts of the NBA? (I'd be okay with him at #16, though).

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My own nightmares:

Solid choices.

I'd say my nightmare scenario would be coming out of the draft with just another bunch of undersized "gamer" combo guards and power forwards with nothing but role player potential.

So, like ...

Trey Lyles and Rashad Vaughn at 16 and 28, and then taking Cliff Alexander and Michael Frazier in the second round.  Hooray.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 11:34:02 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Great thread topic.

A few years ago, I wanted us to stay away from Olynyk and take a chance on Giannis. If not, I would've been happy with Steven Adams (I remember an article here on CB about Adams) or Shabazz. The year before that, I didn't want us to pick Fab Melo coz he seemed like a sure fire bust. Of course, the guy I hoped we would draft (PJ III) hasn't had much success either lol. Last year, the player I wanted us to stay away from was Doug McDermott, and honestly, I would've loved it if Exum fell to us. 

This year, I haven't been following the rookies closely. I haven't even looked at mock drafts yet or anything. I guess I'll do that soon (most likely when the playoffs are over) but for now, I'll rely on the expertise of this forum. If people say Dekker and Kaminsky look to be busts, I'll keep that in mind moving forward lol

- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My own nightmares:

I wouldn't be surprised by that pick, he won't be available at #28 and he effectively raised his stock in the combine by showing some poise and maturity. If we take him at #16 he will have no choice but to try to live up to it. He has Rudy Gobert(who turned out to be a steal) potential, he even mentioned the Celtics first when asked what teams he's interested in... I think we would It's a good gamble... especially if we don't feel comfortable giving up certain assets to move up to get WCS...

Yeah, you could do a lot worse than Upshaw at 16. He has elite defensive potential, and sure there's bust risk, but look: we have TONS of draft picks the next few years. I'd way rather have a mix of busts and steals than just a bunch of average roleplayers.

My nightmare is probably trading up for Stanley Johnson. He's a guy who scored a lot by bullying smaller players, so he's a classic transition risk. He showed poor defensive focus for a supposed 2-way player and his defensive playmaking stats were really mediocre. And worst of all, he was terrible at finishing near the basket despite his size advantage. How will he possibly improve in that area once he has to face the Goberts of the NBA? (I'd be okay with him at #16, though).

Respectfully, Robert Upshaw has yet to develop the maturity to inspire confidence he is prepared to not make poor decisions that come when a 21 year-old is given $3.7 million guaranteed, which is what he'd get at #16.  I wouldn't feel great giving him the lesser guaranteed amount at 28, either but certainly not at 16.  Getting kicked off of two teams despite being one of the most talented players in the country must mean you were a Grade A delinquent.  I'm all about second chances, or third chances in Upshaw's case, but he seems like someone who would benefit from being encouraged to get his priorities in order by having the non-guaranteed deals that are given to 2nd round picks.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Upshaw

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I don't really like anyone at 16, unless Turner or Oubre would happen to fall, so I would be okay with the potential of Upshaw at 16  if we don't trade out of the draft.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think there's a good chance Upshaw will be a decent NBA player.  I just don't have much confidence it will be with the team that drafts him, or while he's on his rookie contract.

So that's not a guy I want to take at #16.  Worth a late 1st or 2nd round pick, but somebody will take the chance before then.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
My ultimate nightmare is signing Spencer Hawes in free agency.

As far as draft nightmares.  I agree with a lot of them. 

Trading up to 5-7 for WCS.  I'd accept him at 7.  But at 5 and 6 my first two choices are Winslow and Porzingis, and at 7 I'd prefer Myles Turner.  The guy is young.  Plenty of time to develop.

Trade up for Kaminsky.  Seems silly.  However, Kaminsky will not be hesitant on offense like KO. That could be refreshing.

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
My own nightmares:

Hey, Bill Walton endorses the guy(upshaw), and he has shown that he can shoot a little bit in workout videos. I would be happy with the pick, like you said if he ends up being a bust, we still gotta feel pretty good about our upcoming Nets and Mavericks picks.

Yeah, I don't think Stanley Johnson has the upside to warrant his projected draft range, I honestly think Kelly Oubre is a better choice from a talent standpoint... however, Johnson could develop into a good 3 and D player, those are always good to have. Though the skills he has at the moment need some polishing, so pass on him.

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Nightmare if we end up keep the 4 picks at #16, 28, 33 and 45. Danny's gotta find a way to move up into the top ten.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think there's a good chance Upshaw will be a decent NBA player.  I just don't have much confidence it will be with the team that drafts him, or while he's on his rookie contract.

So that's not a guy I want to take at #16.  Worth a late 1st or 2nd round pick, but somebody will take the chance before then.

Yeah.  Draft Express has Upshaw going to Memphis, which would be perfect.  A guy like him needs supportive vets.  I can't picture him coming to a young team.  Not good for the team or for him.
Zach and Tony have both been through plenty of crud and could mentor him to stay focused.  Plus it's just a good veteran team.  Even Jeff Green can talk to him about the fragility of life...

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
For me, the nightmare pick would have be Myles Turner, he's is just a very tempting selection due to his skillset, and he's a guy that we would most likely have to move up for, and the troubles with the gait and his awkward movement... just raises some flags as to how fluid he will move when switching on to ball handlers in CBS' system (his lateral quickness is suspect) and would he be putting himself in danger of a serious injury if he was to try to overassert himself?

It would just be the worst case scenario possible if we give up assets to move up to get a guy that either can't play the system he's drafted into, or ends up having a serious injury trying to fight against his own body structure.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If it comes down to Kaminsky or Upshaw at #16, give me Kaminsky, please.

::)