Author Topic: Draft Day Nightmare Picks!  (Read 16509 times)

Draft Day Nightmare Picks!
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Every year I have one of these. There is always a lottery or near-lottery pick that everyone else is high on that I would hate to have on the Celtics. I'm talking about players within the range of our pick that make me cringe when I think of them playing (or sitting on the bench) for the Celtics.

Last year it was Dante Exum. The before that it was...gasp... Kelly Olynyk.

This year... Frank Kaminsky. I see a plodding, unathletic, NCAA Tourny Hyped, goofy dude that wont be able to hack it against the stronger, faster, and more talented players that the NBA has in droves. 22 is too old to come out of College. Especially if the player lacks athleticism.

Who is your nightmare pick for 2015!? What draft day pick would make you question the sanity of Danny Ainge? Who do you NOT WANT the Celtics to pick?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:48:21 PM by positivitize »
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Re: Draft Day Nightmare Picks!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
good thread and tp for starting it. you took my number one choice, kaminsky.

but my next nominee would be sam dekker. the man cant jump at all. he has role player written all over him, at least to me. he does "many things well" but is not a great shooter or ball handler. would have trouble creating his own shot. for me, dekker seems at best, a nice guy to compliment stars. but the celtics have a boat load of those right now.

if he were available in the 20s, sure. but at 16? i would hope that ainge could do better or move that pick. to have dekker join the team would be to add more of what the celtics already have - nice bench players.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:42:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I agree drafting Kaminsky without trading KO or Sully would be a nightmare. I also think drafting any PG at #16 would be the same problem. BPA is great but redundancy kills players development.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43:30 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Any one that plays PG.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Good thread indeed!

Absolute nightmare pick to me is trading up for Mario Hezonja. The kid has all the talent in the world but has done nothing to show it on court so far and has the "I am the world greatest" no-respect mentality I hate. Once he said to an older Croatian teammate "How dare you wear the same sneakers as me". This kid is born a Laker.

Other than him, I really have nobody in this draft I do not want. I'd be disappointed if we trade up and take Oubre, but not a lot.

Last year my nightmare pick was James Young. I don't like no D players and his effort on that end was just hilariously bad. Everybody said how great he played in the final game. I thought he was completely abused on D. Not knowing anything about the Celtics at draft night did not help his cause. Anyway, I hope the kid works hard, grows up and becomes a good player.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Nice thread, TP.
It is high time we discussed the draft.
Per Kaminsky, if we get him at #16, he would be far from being my nightmare. (He is projected to be a top-10). I actually like the guy.
If we traded up to get Kaminski, then yes, that would be a minor disappointment - I am surprised at how few people point out the obvious, ie his age. He is 22, and yes this is a concern esp given his lack of athleticism. Under this light, his 1.6 bpg is hardly impressive (esp given that in his first two years at college it was 0.3- much of the improvement comes from competing against younger players).
But there are lots of things I like in his game . Worst case scenario, he turns out to be Spencer Hawes II/ best case, he learns to play some D and becomes one of the very few ppl who can defend the 5 and shoot 3s.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If it comes down to Kaminsky or Upshaw at #16, give me Kaminsky, please.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
a reach for Upshaw is my nightmare pick. Too much risk for a guy who hasn't shown a ton of skill other than being tall with long arms.

I also wouldn't be happy with a pg.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My own nightmares:

1) Selecting Upshaw at #16

2) Trading up to get Kaminsky (also called, "The Olynyk")

3) Trading into the top 7 to select WCS

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
My own nightmares:

Not a fan of WCS or just think it'd take too much to get up there?

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My own nightmares:

Not a fan of WCS or just think it'd take too much to get up there?

I'm a fan of him later, but in the top 7, I think it would cost too much to get him, and I don't think he's going to be good enough to justify that.

If we're in the top 7 I'd rather hope for one of Kristaps Porzingis, Justise Winslow, or, if they fell, one of Mudiay or Russell.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Now my nightmare: his name is Mario Hezonja.
Check out his stats. I mean take a serious, good look: he hardly has playing experience (16.5 mpg this year, but well below 10 mpg the previous two seasons), he averages 7.7 ppg and is 20 yo. He also has attitude issues.
Does this look like //the player who could very well end up being the best scorer in this draft//?(Kevin O'Konnor). Is this guy a top 5 or even a top 10 pick?

The reason behind the whole Hezinsanity is that he plays for Barcelona which has in the past sent several good players to the NBA. He also had a very good performance with Croatia at FIBA's under 16 European championship in 2011. And here's where the Pau Gasol associations kick in (oh he plays for Barca, he is the star of his national team, he must be the new Euro-star player).
Not gonna happen. IMO his ceiling is lower than James Young's and the C's should stay away from this guy.

(If you want to understand more my feelings, just take a look at Vezenkov, who is taller, younger, much more experienced and a proven scorer- yet he is projected to be a second rounder just because his team, Ares Salonica, is not well known abroad- same story as Antetokounmpo- I see underrated draft prospect written all over this kid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Vezenkov).

In the photo, me waking up in the middle of the night after a nightmare that we traded up to draft Hezonja.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:40:24 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not at least getting a rim protector that can play

At least get Mickey with 28, 33

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Sam Dekker.
This guy has been simply sad at the combine. Did anyone see his jumping?  Haha.
He's going to be an absolute bum in the NBA in my opinion.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 10:45:04 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I honestly hope that the Celtics are going to stay away from these three guys :-X;
- Sam Dekker: He is very unathletic, hence that I see his potential being a role player which we don't need. Reminds me of Landry Fields :o

- Bobby Portis: Hasn't impressed me at all

- Frank Kaminsky: Reminds me very much of Kelly, which isn't exactly what we need.

Jack of all trades, master of none.