Author Topic: Vincent Poirier to Celts(merged threads)  (Read 35634 times)

Re: Vincent Poirier to Celts(merged threads)
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Celtics Sign Vincent Poirier:
https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pressrelease/celtics-sign-vincent-poirier-0

The two-year deal the Celtics agreed to today with big man Vincent Poirier was for a total of $5.1 million, league sources told ESPN. Poirier averaged 10.5 points and 7.3 rebounds last season for Baskonia in 59 games between the Spanish and Euroleagues.

https://twitter.com/timbontemps/status/1150908712023986176?s=21

« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
I am really curious how Poirier’s rebounding translates to the NBA. Typically that’s a skill that if you can box out and hustle and high point the ball at one level, you can do it at the next. If he and Kanter can grab rebounds that should mitigate some of their defensive liabilities. An opponent can get into the paint, but if they miss, they won’t get a second.

The past few years our defense would be solid on the initial shot, but then the other team would get second and third attempts, often at close range, because we couldn’t secure the ball. Maddening! It will be nice not to have to rely on a guard like Rozier to grab the ball out of the air!

Of course, if the other team never misses those shots in the paint because our rim protection is that bad, then it’s back to square one.

« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If Poirier is an Adams type player as advertised (e.g. rebound, defend, set screens, rim run for lobs) then I think he'll be the one to start at the 5.

Hayward

Thinking he's not going to start this season is laughable. Debating that he won't be speaks to a personal bias and fails to realize that post all-star break the guy shot 55% from the field. His monthly numbers from February forward:

Feb       March       Apr
PPG        11.9      11.8         18.3
RPG        4.0        4.1           5.3
MPG       26.5       23.8         31.2
FG%       51.3      55.6         65.0
3PT%      44.4      32.0         40.0

His PPG and RPG in March were greatly impacted by the 68 seconds he played in the game he injured his neck on a back-screen. That said, as you see his production increased considerably as the season wore on. So to think he won't be even better 6 months later, and after yet another off-season removed from injury is indeed laughable.

Kanter

He's a good scorer and it's that scoring punch that should be coming off-the-bench. He'll provide instant offense, versus second team bigs, but most importantly will be protected defensively. Teams often target him in PNR's and in space, so it'll be a lot better to maximize his minutes/protect him defensively by playing him against second team guards and mirroring a lot of his minutes alongside Smart. I think Smart's ability to defend, switch, fight through screens will help him tremendously. In addition, I'm pretty worried about a Kanter/Kemba duo defending opposing teams starters in PNRs.

What I think we'll see

Starters - Hayward, Tatum, Poirier, Walker, Brown

Smart for Hayward early sub (say 6 minute mark). Hayward returns at the beginning of the 2Q, or shortly thereafter, and with Walker on the bench he assumes the primary playmaker with the second unit.

This may also be a good time to get Edwards some minutes. He can be the Eddie House to Hayward's Pierce in terms of playing off-the-ball on offense, but guard opposing 1's defensively.

« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2019, 12:18:28 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
What's there not to like about this kid?  He's a big body that can move.

With Kanter, Poirier, Robert and Tacko, Danny is loaded with centers. We'll see how they look against each other in camp and the pre-season games.

« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Thinking he's not going to start this season is laughable. Debating that he won't be speaks to a personal bias and fails to realize that post all-star break the guy shot 55% from the field. His monthly numbers from February forward:

It is an interesting take for two reasons.  First regarding Hayward.  You highlight his improving stats which can be interpreted a number of ways.  What I can point out is that he played better coming off the bench as opposed to starting so why not continue to play him full minutes and important minutes but have him come off the bench?

In terms of Poirier, I have not seen him play so I have no idea how he is going to hold up against NBA talent but I would like to see two legit bigs on the court with the core rotation units.  So that would be Poirier and Kanter.

We are going to have problems I think if we play too much with 3 wings and one big.  There will be times for that type of unit but I don't like that as our core rotation.

« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What's most interesting is the Celtics seem to be moving back toward traditional bigs. Theis is a 4 and he can shoot outside some, but Poirier, Kanter, and Williams are all pretty much non-factors outside. Maybe some shooting will develop in their play style (ala Baynes), but I think all of them will need some time.

Grant Williams can shoot some, but I'm guessing he will mainly play the 3/4, not the 5 (although I could see CBS trying him there against the right opponents as he did with Ojeleye).

I like both styles of bigs, but this could mark a shift in CBS system more toward a system like Rick Carlisle's. Some of the highest offensive ratings in the NBA are rim-running bigs, which kinda' proves that it is possible to have a high-flying offense with them.

Although people worry about our offense, I actually think our offense will be way better this year. It's our defense that could be average. We need guys like Brown and Smart to anchor us on the perimeter, and we need Poirier, Williams, and Theis to be in good position inside without fouling.

« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
What's there not to like about this kid?  He's a big body that can move.

With Kanter, Poirier, Robert and TackoTheis, Danny is loaded with centers. We'll see how they look against each other in camp and the pre-season games.
FIFY.  Not at all clear if Tacko makes the team.

« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Celtics website says he is 7'1" and has a 9'6" standing reach.

Our rebounding numbers should improve dramatically this season with Kanter and Poirier hitting the boards.  Maybe a switch in team philosophy.

« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If Poirier is an Adams type player as advertised (e.g. rebound, defend, set screens, rim run for lobs) then I think he'll be the one to start at the 5.

Hayward

His PPG and RPG in March were greatly impacted by the 68 seconds he played in the game he injured his neck on a back-screen. That said, as you see his production increased considerably as the season wore on. So to think he won't be even better 6 months later, and after yet another off-season removed from injury is indeed laughable.

Kanter

He's a good scorer and it's that scoring punch that should be coming off-the-bench. He'll provide instant offense, versus second team bigs, but most importantly will be protected defensively. Teams often target him in PNR's and in space, so it'll be a lot better to maximize his minutes/protect him defensively by playing him against second team guards and mirroring a lot of his minutes alongside Smart. I think Smart's ability to defend, switch, fight through screens will help him tremendously. In addition, I'm pretty worried about a Kanter/Kemba duo defending opposing teams starters in PNRs.

What I think we'll see

Smart for Hayward early sub (say 6 minute mark). Hayward returns at the beginning of the 2Q, or shortly thereafter, and with Walker on the bench he assumes the primary playmaker with the second unit.

This may also be a good time to get Edwards some minutes. He can be the Eddie House to Hayward's Pierce in terms of playing off-the-ball on offense, but guard opposing 1's defensively.

It should be noted those April games totaled just four.  And he was back to 12ppg in the playoffs.

« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Hayward

Kanter

What I think we'll see

TP!

I could not agree more on Hayward. In addition to his numbers I think he's a really good help defender. Without a tried and true defender at the 5 they are going to miss someone to organize the defense. Having the wings players in the right help position on their own is vital without a defensive anchor.

On Kanter, I think you will see him stretch it out to 3, create shots with his passing in the dribble hand off and defend better than he has previously. I think you will see Brown or Smart defend opposing one's while they hide Kemba on the worst offensive players like they did Isaiah. Brown and Smart are going to be tasked with forcing the ball away from picks then Kanter will be able to drop. In other words I expect Kanter to start and them to go back to the scheme they ran when they had Isaiah and Sully at the 1-5.

I don't really think Poirier has the foot speed to defend in space so I'm not positive he's the guy we will roll with if we want a defensive center against perimeter oriented teams.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here but it's prononced Pwa-re-eh, not Por-ie-eh.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What's most interesting is the Celtics seem to be moving back toward traditional bigs. Theis is a 4 and he can shoot outside some, but Poirier, Kanter, and Williams are all pretty much non-factors outside. Maybe some shooting will develop in their play style (ala Baynes), but I think all of them will need some time.

Grant Williams can shoot some, but I'm guessing he will mainly play the 3/4, not the 5 (although I could see CBS trying him there against the right opponents as he did with Ojeleye).

I like both styles of bigs, but this could mark a shift in CBS system more toward a system like Rick Carlisle's. Some of the highest offensive ratings in the NBA are rim-running bigs, which kinda' proves that it is possible to have a high-flying offense with them.

Although people worry about our offense, I actually think our offense will be way better this year. It's our defense that could be average. We need guys like Brown and Smart to anchor us on the perimeter, and we need Poirier, Williams, and Theis to be in good position inside without fouling.

I don’t think we’re moving in that direction (two bigs). Two of Kanter, Rob Williams, Poirier, and Theis will be outside the core rotation.  Grant Williams probably will be in it for reserve level minutes, but you’ll probably see three bigs play 1.5 positions, as we have seen in other years as well.  My guess is that Kanter and Rob Williams start the year in the rotation, with Williams occasionally losing his spot to a European when he has a run of mental lapses (which will come because it’s tough playing center in the NBA, and not because of any specific negative quality of Williams.)

« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Everyone will be shooting 3s. Kanter said he's working on it now. Lol CBS would make Capella do it if he were a Cs!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Everyone will be shooting 3s. Kanter said he's working on it now. Lol CBS would make Capella do it if he were a Cs!

About time for Kanter!! Feels like some fans have wanted him to start shooting threes for several years now lol

« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2019, 06:16:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ben Rohrbach: Celtics are high on Vincent Poirier. Talked to a couple people familiar with him. No. 1 thing that stood out: His athleticism. He led the Euroleague in rebounding. “That doesn’t happen by accident.” He passed up a bigger payday in Europe to come to the NBA. – via Twitter brohrbach
 Vincent Poirier, Boston Celtics

« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2019, 06:22:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Euroleague and NBA are 2 totally different leagues
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin