Author Topic: Price signs with the Red Sox  (Read 17212 times)

Price signs with the Red Sox
« on: December 01, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
7 years 217mil. Opt out (I'm assuming for the player) after 3.

Thoughts?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Re: Price signs with the Red Sox
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
$217 million, but who's counting?

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
$217 not $317.

That is absolutely silly money.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:50 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
$217 million, but who's counting?
Fixed it, sorry. Pretty big typo lol.

I'm lukewarm on the deal, but I don't like the opt out. Why are we taking all the risk?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I love it.  It's a lot of money, but he's the guy you bet on.  A tall, long lefty who is fit and loose, has a smooth delivery with consistent success and no history of arm trouble.  The Red Sox needed an ace and got one.  I'm excited.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:43:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
 :police:Why not sign Greinke for 5-6 million less per year and less years. Price has been mediocre in the playoffs.  How do you pay a guy like this ,the highest Money in baseball?

Rotation without anymore trades/signing

Starting

Price
Erod
Porcello
Kelly
Owens

Relief

Ross Jr.
Wright
Miley
Tazawa
Koji
Kimbrel

Gone

Bucholz

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:46:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I love it.  It's a lot of money, but he's the guy you bet on.  A tall, long lefty who is fit and loose, has a smooth delivery with consistent success and no history of arm trouble.  The Red Sox needed an ace and got one.  I'm excited.

He is nothing like Pedro/schilling and can't depend on his offpitches for strikes consistently

After his power pitching goes out in 3 years then what?

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Eh, I'm a bit skeptical. He's already 30, which means the last half of the deal will likely be a big pill for the Sox to swallow, and he's struggled in the postseason (though the sample size is a little on the small side).

He's definitely the regular-season ace the team needs. Here's to hoping they also sign a level-1B guy as well (Zimmerman type), in case one (or more) of E-Rod, Owens, Porcello, Kelly, and Miley conks out.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

He is nothing like Pedro/schilling and can't depend on his offpitches for strikes consistently

I think that, in 3-4 years, the Sox will be happy with the deal if Price has helped them win at least one ring, even though he might be cooked by that point.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
I know he had a QO, but I don't think you can possibly argue between this and the Zimmerman deal - that deal was way better.
I'm forum!

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think it's a great move. It has risk, but is way smarter than the deals for Sandoval and Ramirez. If you're going to gamble, do it on elite pitching (particularly when it doesn't involve the Sox giving up any picks or prospects).

I also think the underrated part of the deal is that Price can opt out after 3 years, which may actually work out in the Sox favor if he does.

So a rotation of

Price
Buccholz
Porcello
Rodriguez
Miley

Move Kelly to the pen for another power arm and let Owens home is stuff a bit more in AAA.

I don't think Clay is a goner. At only 13 million per year, even 2/3 of a season for him is still a bargain, particularly when you have someone like Owens to step in if he goes down.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 05:53:35 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

He is nothing like Pedro.  Pedro was arguably the best pitcher ever.  But he was small with a short delivery and did not have success into his 30s.  Who know how Price will look in 5 years, but he projects well.  It's a gamble, but like I said he's the type of guy to gamble on.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah, there's not real way to compare Price to Pedro.  It's like comparing apples to hand grenades.  Very different pitchers.

Also, the Sox acquired Pedro via trade not free agency.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 06:05:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Guess the Red Sox are over that whole "don't give monster contracts to pitchers over 30" thing.

Let's hope his playoff performance is better for the Sox than it has been for other teams.

On the other hand, it'd be nice just to make the playoffs, and Price will certainly help with that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hope he's stellar for the first 3 years then opts out before the serious decline occurs.