Poll

Was the upset of Ronda Rousey bigger than Douglas beating Tyson?

Yes, that was more surprising than Tyson losing
2 (16.7%)
No, Douglas beating Tyson was more of a shock
8 (66.7%)
About the same level of upset
1 (8.3%)
Who cares, I just like looking at Ronda Rousey
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: November 29, 2015, 08:52:18 AM

Author Topic: Rousey upset bigger than Douglas beating Tyson?  (Read 1802 times)

Rousey upset bigger than Douglas beating Tyson?
« on: November 19, 2015, 08:52:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm surprised no one started a topic on this so I thought I'd throw this out there --> is the upset of Rondo Rousey a bigger or smaller upset than when Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson?

I'm shocked by the loss because she just seemed so dominant but I'm wondering if she was ripe for an upset (obviously since it happened) after making the talk show circuit and talking a bit cocky in her interviews. 

Tyson had started getting a bit lackadaisical when he lost to Douglas but it was still such a shock when it happened.

Thoughts?

Re: Rousey upset bigger than Douglas beating Tyson?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm surprised no one started a topic on this so I thought I'd throw this out there --> is the upset of Rondo Rousey a bigger or smaller upset than when Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson?

I'm shocked by the loss because she just seemed so dominant but I'm wondering if she was ripe for an upset (obviously since it happened) after making the talk show circuit and talking a bit cocky in her interviews. 

Tyson had started getting a bit lackadaisical when he lost to Douglas but it was still such a shock when it happened.

Thoughts?

Rondo Rousey  ??? ???

jokes aside, I admit I watched the fight for Ronda, and was rooting for her to win. Half way through the first round I kinda guessed she was going to lose. Holly Holms controlled that whole fight from start to finish. She's patient, and more strategic than Ronda. The way she dodged and was able to avoid Ronda's signature take down was executed to NEAR perfection. Once you see Ronda started flailing like a beginner boxer in the 2nd round you knew t he fight was over. One bad move, then BAM, a kick in the neck!

Outclassed, outmatched, out-experienced

I hope there's a rematch though, hope Ronda gets back up and train harder than before...I would love to see a rematch between the two.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
No. 

Douglas beating Tyson was bigger.  It' was absolutely shocking given the timeframe and where Tyson was in his career versus where Douglas was at. Douglas was basically a bum.

Douglas was like a 42-1 shot in that fight.  I think Holm was around 10-1.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
No. 

Douglas beating Tyson was bigger.  It' was absolutely shocking given the timeframe and where Tyson was in his career versus where Douglas was at. Douglas was basically a bum.

Douglas was like a 42-1 shot in that fight.  I think Holm was around 10-1.

I think Holm was 7-1.  I agree Douglas beating Tyson was a much bigger upset.  Tyson was the superior fighter who was not prepared for that fight in a number of ways...training/mentally/emotionally.  Holm is simply a better fighter than Rousey.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Thoughts?

Rondo Rousey  ??? ???

jokes aside, I admit I watched the fight for Ronda, and was rooting for her to win. Half way through the first round I kinda guessed she was going to lose. Holly Holms controlled that whole fight from start to finish. She's patient, and more strategic than Ronda. The way she dodged and was able to avoid Ronda's signature take down was executed to NEAR perfection. Once you see Ronda started flailing like a beginner boxer in the 2nd round you knew t he fight was over. One bad move, then BAM, a kick in the neck!

Outclassed, outmatched, out-experienced

I hope there's a rematch though, hope Ronda gets back up and train harder than before...I would love to see a rematch between the two.
ha - had me laughing at my own typos  :)