Author Topic: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention  (Read 31073 times)

Re: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Apologies for the belated responses.

I strongly dislike this proposal (and not because I slogged through carrying Mirotic in past seasons --- and got a kick out of posting "Mirotic is my empty roster spot" for what seems like 2 years straight).

I think drafting/holding/adding an overseas player/injured player is one of those "tough" decisions owners have to make.  In one of the leagues, can't remember which one, I got Mirotic relatively cheaply from an owner because he didn't want to devote a roster spot.  I accepted the harm to my roster for the long term benefit.

For what it's worth YH a majority of managers probably agree with you. I'm just of the opinion that the more competitive match ups the better. Add an N/A player to a second tier team's roster and over the course of the season they'll lose a lot more weeks in 3-8 or 2-9 fashion. I'm also opposed to penalizing the rare lottery team that find itself in position to draft a highly rated foreign prospect signed overseas: a Rubio or Saric. I'd prefer those selections be straight forward assets as they are in the NBA rather than a full season commitment to rebuilding.

Now two consolations, though I'm not sure either will change your mind.

Additionally, those unsigned euro's typically provide some intrigue/interest in those top waiver spots when they are unowned and coming into the free agent pool. Sometimes those work out. Sometimes they don't (think I used #1 or #2 on Alexey Shved --- lol).

I for one am bummed on the abrupt end of Shved's NBA career... Anyway, we wouldn't necessarily lose the wavier wire intrigue surrounding veteran international players coming to the NBA. We could handle the reserve spot a couple of different ways. I'd previously suggested that we restrict eligibility to currently rostered players and future draftees. That said, it might be fun to hold a one round draft where each manager could either re-commit to holding a injured player or foreign prospect or lay claim to a player overseas that may or may not be headed to the NBA in the near future.

Finally, the inclusion of "inj" further depletes the already weak free agent pool.

This is my own primary concern, and I'd address it by eliminating the Utility spot. Admittedly, this would be the most dramatic format change in the H2H league's run. Founding manager to founding manager, I'd respect your opposition, but here's my argument. Less than half of the current league participated in the points league draft that kicked off this insanity or had any input into this league's set up the following summer. That, and the NBA itself often enacts similarly significant changes - rules changes, expanding roster sizes, moving the three point line, restructuring divisions.

Thanks for the response.  I'm obviously happy for the league to vote on it.

I disagree with your point about veteran international players --- because people could squat on their rights.  So the pool would be depleted.  Yes, there would still be some veteran international players available.  but the pool would be depleted.  I'm not sure I understand the previous proposal you mentioned. 

I disagree with eliminating the utility spot.  I think it adds a lot to our teams...and is a benefit.  I'd definitely be opposed to getting rid of it in favor of an Inj position.

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Quote from: The Walker Wiggle link=topic=80165.msg1943730#msg1943730
Replace the Utility roster spot with an inactive spot? I've made similar suggestions in seasons past, but never to enough support. I continue to believe this would help offset the current cost of drafting foreign prospects and somewhat mitigate serious injuries without further depleting the FA talent pool. It would also create more line-up decisions week to week, reward shrewd management.

I would be in favor of adding an additional inactive roster spot (on Y! and/or the google sheets) for an INJ or drafted INTL player playing over seas. We can call it that "Mirotic is my empty roster spot" rule.

Just chiming in after YH/WW back-and-forth yesterday about some of the practical obstacles/issues:

-- overall i feel like the league/roster size is in a sweet spot (good talent still on the waiver wire, tough decisisons on cut down day, etc), but remain open to having my mind changed.

-- I agree with YH that the UTIL spot allows for flexibility for a team to overload on a position (like DesDr's bigs) or stat. Getting rid of it would seem minor but really affect the league IMO. I'd be MUCH more open to adding a 17th spot than doing away with the Util.

-- I'm relunctant to add more roster spots when there are some teams still carrying useless (of course a subjective call by me) players.

-- adding an INJ spot (though I guess you're using it as a blanket INACTIVE slot) is really difficult b/c the NBA, unlike MLB, doesn't really have a DL or IR anymore, so it means subjective INJ designation outside of a guy missing a whole season with, say, an ACL tear. In fantasy baseballl the DL is a really important part of the game, but it doesn't really translate to basketball IMO.

-- I'm curious how you see this working The Walker Wiggle on 2 fronts: (a) the addition of the player now and (b) moving forward.

(a) Say this passes.... Since the only guys currently eligible for such a slot on rosters are Saric, and a few injured guys, would we have a mini-draft or 3rd round in the rookie draft? Would teams fill this slot during the season via waiver wire?

(b) How does a team replenish their spot when a guy like Saric comes over or if their injured guy returns?
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 01:09:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

-- adding an INJ spot (though I guess you're using it as a blanket INACTIVE slot) is really difficult b/c the NBA, unlike MLB, doesn't really have a DL or IR anymore, so it means subjective INJ designation outside of a guy missing a whole season with, say, an ACL tear. In fantasy baseballl the DL is a really important part of the game, but it doesn't really translate to basketball IMO.

-- I'm curious how you see this working The Walker Wiggle on 2 fronts: (a) the addition of the player now and (b) moving forward.

(a) Say this passes.... Since the only guys currently eligible for such a slot on rosters are Saric, and a few injured guys, would we have a mini-draft or 3rd round in the rookie draft? Would teams fill this slot during the season via waiver wire?

(b) How does a team replenish their spot when a guy like Saric comes over or if their injured guy returns?

I proposed something similar to this a couple years back called a "stash spot".  The idea was that you had an extra roster spot for guys who weren't playing, you could use it once a season, and once a player was designated as a stash, he was locked in for the remainder of the season - no reactivation, no drop, no trade.  So pretty much only for international guys and season-ending injuries. 

So in my opinion, a. not every team would use the spot - it'd be useful to keep open in case a promising player got hurt mid-season - having it open could even have some trade value as you could take on a dead weight guy (like Carmelo or Kobe last year) - but no need for an extra draft round or anything.

...and b. at the end of the season the player automatically becomes active, so they can be re-stashed for another year, another player can take the spot, or the spot can be left open. 

Dunno, this may be overly complicated, though.  But being able to move guys in and out of the spot at will could create some issues too, especially if someone decides to use it for tanking purposes.

EDIT: UF has maybe a clearer explanation of what I'm describing here - use of the spot can be done whenever but is permanent for the season and the player can't be moved.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:34:58 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 01:30:59 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
-- I agree with YH that the UTIL spot allows for flexibility for a team to overload on a position (like DesDr's bigs) or stat. Getting rid of it would seem minor but really affect the league IMO. I'd be MUCH more open to adding a 17th spot than doing away with the Util.

I 100% agree.

-- I'm relunctant to add more roster spots when there are some teams still carrying useless (of course a subjective call by me) players.

This would be an *special use* roster spot. I expect teams carrying useless players may not use it at all.

This is true, but I don't think it's a big deal. We are not trying to emulate the NBA here, like the DKC. This is more of a fantasy sports thing.

Suggestion:

On roster cut down day, a team may add a player from their roster who is either injured or not currently under contract with an NBA team. Once a player is placed in the inactive slot, they are not eligible to be traded or be moved to the active roster until after the season is over.  Examples: LB17 puts Dante Exum in his inactive slot. The Utah Flash drafts Nikola Milutinov #1 overall. Milutinov has signed with Olympiacos, so the UF move him to the inactive slot for the season.

I like the idea of extending this year's draft to a third round to fill this slot.

Through the next season's draft or possible the Y! waiver wire. For example, Bogdan Bogdanovi? was on the wire b/c it's well known that he will stay in Europe for two season. Had I added him last spring, I could then move him to the inactive slot for this season.

Also, if a Euro comes over mid-season, like Joffrey Lauvergne last season, he is not eligible to come off the inactive list until after the season is over. Same for a guy like PG13 who came back for a few games after snapping his leg in half.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:25 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

I proposed something similar to this a couple years back called a "stash spot".  The idea was that you had an extra roster spot for guys who weren't playing, you could use it once a season, and once a player was designated as a stash, he was locked in for the remainder of the season - no reactivation, no drop, no trade.  So pretty much only for international guys and season-ending injuries. 

So in my opinion, a. not every team would use the spot - it'd be useful to keep open in case a promising player got hurt mid-season - having it open could even have some trade value as you could take on a dead weight guy (like Carmelo or Kobe last year) - but no need for an extra draft round or anything.

...and b. at the end of the season the player automatically becomes active, so they can be re-stashed for another year, another player can take the spot, or the spot can be left open. 

Dunno, this may be overly complicated, though.  But being able to move guys in and out of the spot at will could create some issues too, especially if someone decides to use it for tanking purposes.

EDIT: UF has maybe a clearer explanation of what I'm describing here - use of the spot can be done whenever but is permanent for the season and the player can't be moved.

Could it be done with a healthy player, who is in the NBA?   Say I want to stash Bismack Biyombo because he's not good enough to immediately contribute, but I don't want to lose his rights.  Is that sufficient? 

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
See... this is why this league is awesome. Great discussion here.

This is true, but I don't think it's a big deal. We are not trying to emulate the NBA here, like the DKC. This is more of a fantasy sports thing.

My point here was more a practical one... like how does someone go on/off the list when Yahoo! (via the NBA, was my point) doesn't list a player as INJ (like they do in Fantasy Baseball). I am still the one that may have to adjudicate disputes, so i like to think them through ahead of time  ;D

That's largely been answered here by locking a player in for a whole season.

Suggestion:

On roster cut down day, a team may add a player from their roster who is either injured or not currently under contract with an NBA team. Once a player is placed in the inactive slot, they are not eligible to be traded or be moved to the active roster until after the season is over.  Examples: LB17 puts Dante Exum in his inactive slot. The Utah Flash drafts Nikola Milutinov #1 overall. Milutinov has signed with Olympiacos, so the UF move him to the inactive slot for the season.

I like the idea of extending this year's draft to a third round to fill this slot.

Through the next season's draft or possible the Y! waiver wire. For example, Bogdan Bogdanovi? was on the wire b/c it's well known that he will stay in Europe for two season. Had I added him last spring, I could then move him to the inactive slot for this season.

Also, if a Euro comes over mid-season, like Joffrey Lauvergne last season, he is not eligible to come off the inactive list until after the season is over. Same for a guy like PG13 who came back for a few games after snapping his leg in half.

Mk

Ok, I think i'm seeing this all and how it'd work. And am personally starting to come around (though that's me talking as 1 of 20 GMs; my feeling as commish doesn't matter) -- pending the details....

a few specifics --- as we amble towards an actual amendment language:

1. in season injury
------------
Quote from: MK
Once a player is placed in the inactive slot, they are not eligible to be traded or be moved to the active roster until after the season is over.

What about dropped outright? Say I have Nikola Milutinov on my INACTIVE slot to start the season. Then Julius Randle goes down for the season in the 1st game (not that that would happen... and not that that team could withstand such an injury and go on to win the title 8) 8) ;D). Could I drop Nikola Milutinov outright and move Randle to my inactive spot?

Or is that roster spot taken and you have to weigh that vs. the risk of an inseason injury?

What about trading and stashing? If the above is not allowed -- i.e. once you lock a player in they're just there -- could I trade Randle to a team with an open slot and they stash him?

FWF's description seems to be that you could do the latter... but not speak to the former.

2. Anthony Morrow
----------------

3. international guys
----------------
Curious how we'd handle waviers on players dropped in the offseason from inactive slots that aren't in the Yahoo! system....

Again, let's say MK drafts and holds Multinov all season, then Favors goes down in the offseason, and MK (oddly) values Favors > Mulitnov.... What happens to Multinov? Can another team claim him and if so how?

4. Effect date
---------------------
This may be the stickiest point....

But I'd argue that if voted into the constitution it'd take effect *next* season... for the reasons you stated.

Teams made FA/trade decisions last year based on 16 player roster this upcoming season. Giving up a 2nd rounder with a 17th roster spot means more than it did for 16 players, for example.

A full season would allow each team to full plan on how to utilize this spot. Players like Exum and Saric would increase in value for those teams offsetting the downside for them in delaying the rule for a year.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:38:17 PM by Gainesville Celtic »

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

Could it be done with a healthy player, who is in the NBA?   Say I want to stash Bismack Biyombo because he's not good enough to immediately contribute, but I don't want to lose his rights.  Is that sufficient?

I'd personally not be in favor of this b/c it potentially ties up players that could make a difference to teams competing -- even a guy like Biyombo can give a few blocks in a playoff push.

It takes away that calculus you talked about earlier -- those hard decisions.

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

That's the rub, isn't it?  My inclination is yes - a guy who's still developing and not producing much can be stuck in there, as grabbing a project who's in the league isn't much different than getting a Euro who's out of it.  To me the permanence of the move is a good hedge against doing this impulsively - you're stuck if Biyombo or whoever breaks out later in the year, since you can't reactivate him til the offseason.

Where the problem comes in with that is that a team may choose to inactive/stash an actually productive player to enable a tanking strategy.  So if I have a bad team with Cousins as the only bright spot, I can just stash him and guarantee a lousy season and a good lotto shot, without risking any tanking penalties.  It's a very tough line to walk. 

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

That's the rub, isn't it?  My inclination is yes - a guy who's still developing and not producing much can be stuck in there, as grabbing a project who's in the league isn't much different than getting a Euro who's out of it.  To me the permanence of the move is a good hedge against doing this impulsively - you're stuck if Biyombo or whoever breaks out later in the year, since you can't reactivate him til the offseason.

Where the problem comes in with that is that a team may choose to inactive/stash an actually productive player to enable a tanking strategy.  So if I have a bad team with Cousins as the only bright spot, I can just stash him and guarantee a lousy season and a good lotto shot, without risking any tanking penalties.  It's a very tough line to walk.

This seems as good a time as any to remind folks that any langauage set in the constitution for rules has to be enforceable.

this came up a lot more last offseason to deal with tanking. The rules have to be cut-and-dry you can't say "good" players can't be stashed (not that you're saying that FWF).

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

This seems as good a time as any to remind folks that any langauage set in the constitution for rules has to be enforceable.

this came up a lot more last offseason to deal with tanking. The rules have to be cut-and-dry you can't say "good" players can't be stashed (not that you're saying that FWF).

Yeah that's what I mean - I really like the idea of being able to stash a guy to avoid a dead/virtually useless roster spot, I think it makes sense to be able to put a developing project there, but the rules have to be categorical, and designed with avoiding abuse of the rule in mind.

That means either an active player would be only be stashable based on some arbitrary line based on O-Rank or whatever, or it could only be for active rookies or something like that.  Otherwise someone will inevitably stash a star to tank and feelings will get hurt.  Like I said, it's a very difficult balance to strike. 

Only allowing inactive players in the forms of A. Guys drafted but not on a roster (aka currently overseas) and B. injured guys who have been declared out for the season (maybe with commish's discretion on gray area cases like Paul George) is probably a much easier rule to formulate, even though I don't like it quite as much. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:12:59 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 09:33:38 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Just a check-in on procedural stuff....

1. Today is the last day to register any objection to this amendment:

Proposed Consent Amendment A
Clarify difference between trade submission and approval dates.
---------------------------------------
(will be adopted by acclimation unless someone objects by Aug. 13)

23. In-season trades shall have a 1 day approval period, to allow league GMs to review and exercise veto, if necessary. One-third of league GMs exercising veto power (e.g., at least 7) are required to overturn any trade.1 Trades must be submitted, not approved, by any relevant deadline (i.e. cutdown date, in-season trade deadline, etc.).

Proposed by THE Walker Wiggle, seconded by Gainesville Celtic

2. There are two folks interested in joining to take over BigAltheFuture's team. I want to get one of them in before we vote on the amendments. So that may delay the vote just a little.

3. The voting will be via Doodle.com. I'll send out a link(s) to each "poll" and all you have to do is type in your team name and vote. Each amendment will be via a separate poll.

4. We'll vote on Amendment 1 first:

Constitutional Amendment #1
Revised vote totals needed for amendments
-------------------------------
10. A majority vote from the 20 GMs (e.g., 11 or more) is required to amend any league rule. A quorum of 15 votes (including abstentions) is necessary for any amendment to pass.

Proposed by Gainesville Celtic, seconded by Yall Hate

If it passes this will be the new total(s) needed to amend. If not amendments will still need 11 votes to pass.

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Only allowing inactive players in the forms of A. Guys drafted but not on a roster (aka currently overseas) and B. injured guys who have been declared out for the season (maybe with commish's discretion on gray area cases like Paul George) is probably a much easier rule to formulate, even though I don't like it quite as much.

I think this is the way to go. At least initially. It's better to start with a narrow rule rather than a broad one. We can always expand & tweak it again next summer.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

I think this is the way to go. At least initially. It's better to start with a narrow rule rather than a broad one. We can always expand & tweak it again next summer.

Mk

I was gonna suggest the same thing... if i get time later today i'll work up official amendment language (unless someone else wants to).

I'll also PM/email out today a link to the first ballot --- changing the votes needed to amend the const.

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Just a reminder....

Voting on our 1st amendment closes at noon EST today. As of 9:55 am, 13 of 20 GMs have voted.

(Please don't vote again if you've already voted  8). If you haven't voted yet and lost the link, chekc you PMs or send me a PM).

There are 3 other amendments (see the 2nd post in this thread for the full language of each) we'll vote on starting this afternoon. We've discussed 2 others, and rather than hold up the draft for those -- i may encourage folks to keep discussing them and we can do another round of voting in early OCT.

EDIT: As of 12 noon the amendment passed 12-0-1.

One GM voted 2x, so I tossed his 2nd vote -- which was same as his first.

This means that amendments will now pass with a majority vote of at least 15 GMs. Ironically this passed using the old rules, but would have failed for lack of a quorum under the new rules  :P ???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:35:34 PM by Gainesville Celtic »

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Oh, and this is entirely dependent on Yahoo, but if possible, I'm in favor of combining the two Fantasy weeks badly abbreviated by the longer All Star break.

This need not be voted on -- it will be done (manually by me) this season. I checked at the end of last season and saw that I could have, if i'd realized it, chagned it in the start of the season.

There is a scheduling glitch/question that will remain unchanged for this season but I'd like to get folks' input on for NEXT season:

With 20 teams in the league --a 19 week season would mean each team plays every other team 1x.

However.... we've had a 20 week season + 3 week playoff for as long as I've been in the league. This means that each team plays the the same team in Week 1 and Week 20.

For example, I played the #17 team twice last year (en route to the title) and the #4 team twice the year before when i missed the playoffs.

This strikes me as unfair, if completely random, for the teams that pull the toughest teams in Week 1 (and therefore Week 20).

I think we went with the 20 weeks to maximize the awesomeness. My current thinking is to (a) switch to a 19 week season and (b) possibly expand the playoffs.

--------------

I believe there are a few different things we could do:

1. No change (20 wks + 3 round playoffs) -- We'll combine the 2 all-star break weeks, but leave our fantasy season at 20 weeks + 3 weeks of playoffs.

2. 19 week season + 3 round playoffs --- Pretty straightforward; The only change would be that each team would play 19 matchups (and every team 1x). The playoffs would still be 3 rounds, each 7 days long.

3. 19 week season + 3 round playoffs + extended championship round --- If we move to a 19 week season, we could extend the championship round to 2 full weeks + the 1-2 games in week 25.

4. 19 week season + 4 round playoffs (with or without extended championship round) --- If we move to a 19 week season we could expand the playoffs to 4 rounds and 12 teams and give the top 4 seeds a bye. The championship round could be 1 full week or 1 full-week + the 1-2 games in week 25.

Curious what other folks think.

I think we should at least do Option 2.

I'd be open to discussing Option 3.

I haven't given Option 4 enough thought to know if I like it or not... It might lead to more teams being engaged with 12 instead of 8 teams qualifying for the playoffs. But there might be some unintended consequences.