Author Topic: Leagues that are recruiting?  (Read 6366 times)

Leagues that are recruiting?
« on: June 21, 2015, 12:08:07 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hi guys,
Are there any leagues that are recruiting new GMs? Would like to get involved if there is something up-and-coming or current but looking. Thanks.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Leagues that are recruiting?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The points league doesn't seem to have any openings right now, but a couple guys have made it clear this might be their last season.  It's possible that a position can open up before the start of the season.   The commish is Byennie ... If you message him he can probably keep you in mind for the next time there's an opening. 

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I want to get in a league as well, maybe if we get some people together we can start a new one.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I want to get in a league as well, maybe if we get some people together we can start a new one.

I'd join
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

I'd join
If we can get like 13+ people together or something, we can prolly get ESPN or Yahoo fantasy league set up, I've done the ESPN one this past season and seemed to work out well.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I'd join
If we can get like 13+ people together or something, we can prolly get ESPN or Yahoo fantasy league set up, I've done the ESPN one this past season and seemed to work out well.

Count me as interested if you get it together.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'd join
I join a basic ESPN fantasy league every year.  Just their standard points h2h league.   Last year, I just joined one randomly with a bunch of random people, but it was kind of lame because half the people disappeared and weren't avaiable for trades.

If you guys are thinking of just joining a single-season ESPN fantasy league, I'm down.  A lot of the fantasy leagues on this forum are keeper leagues where the rosters carry over from one year to the next.   The "Lucky17's Yahoo! Points Hoops League" (also just called the CelticsBlog Points League) has been going for like 8 years.  I'm not sure how long DKC has been going, but it sounds like it's been around forever as well.   Decide if you guys are building a long-term league or just want to join a single season one on ESPN together.   

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

I'd join
I join a basic ESPN fantasy league every year.  Just their standard points h2h league.   Last year, I just joined one randomly with a bunch of random people, but it was kind of lame because half the people disappeared and weren't avaiable for trades.

If you guys are thinking of just joining a single-season ESPN fantasy league, I'm down.  A lot of the fantasy leagues on this forum are keeper leagues where the rosters carry over from one year to the next.   The "Lucky17's Yahoo! Points Hoops League" (also just called the CelticsBlog Points League) has been going for like 8 years.  I'm not sure how long DKC has been going, but it sounds like it's been around forever as well.   Decide if you guys are building a long-term league or just want to join a single season one on ESPN together.
I think that the most logical thing to do is start a points league, if by the end of the season if the general consensus is to do a carry over then we can do a carry over. If not then we can continue season by season drafts.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I'd join

I think that the most logical thing to do is start a points league, if by the end of the season if the general consensus is to do a carry over then we can do a carry over. If not then we can continue season by season drafts.

I agree, this does seem most ideal. Lar, are you thinking strategy would be different if you knew you'd be carrying over, though? I can see that, so for that reason it may be best to make the decision beforehand.

We could do a one-year league and, if that goes well, begin another the following year with the intention of carrying over teams. Or, if a lot of people are interested and seem invested at the outset, we could go right into a carry-over league. I would be down with either, as I haven't done fantasy in like 15 years! Will be fun to do it with others that will be involved, around for trades, etc.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'd join

I agree, this does seem most ideal. Lar, are you thinking strategy would be different if you knew you'd be carrying over, though? I can see that, so for that reason it may be best to make the decision beforehand.

We could do a one-year league and, if that goes well, begin another the following year with the intention of carrying over teams. Or, if a lot of people are interested and seem invested at the outset, we could go right into a carry-over league. I would be down with either, as I haven't done fantasy in like 15 years! Will be fun to do it with others that will be involved, around for trades, etc.
Strategy would be 1000% different depending on if it's a single season league or a long-term league.  So you'd want to decide beforehand.

A guy like Dante Exum, for instance...   He's probably a total after-thought in a single-season league.  In a keeper league, that guy gets snatched up pretty quickly.  In single-season leagues, you can feel comfortable drafting Pau Gasol, because you know he's going to contribute... and a guy like Kobe Bryant is a risk worth taking.  You don't touch Kobe with a 10 foot poll in league that you expect to be in for several years.  He might be productive next year, but he's basically confirmed he's retiring at the end of the season.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

I'd join

Ill make a tread in a bit for recruitment, after I study up a bit for my Chem course. Anyways we still have time to figure out all the specifics, both Yahoo and ESPN leagues are down right now until near the start of the season. I do like your idea about starting off as a one season league, and then if the people want we can start a roll over league the following season.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I'd join

Strategy would be 1000% different depending on if it's a single season league or a long-term league.  So you'd want to decide beforehand.

A guy like Dante Exum, for instance...   He's probably a total after-thought in a single-season league.  In a keeper league, that guy gets snatched up pretty quickly.  In single-season leagues, you can feel comfortable drafting Pau Gasol, because you know he's going to contribute... and a guy like Kobe Bryant is a risk worth taking.  You don't touch Kobe with a 10 foot poll in league that you expect to be in for several years.  He might be productive next year, but he's basically confirmed he's retiring at the end of the season.

Yep, makes sense. Let's see what comes of Denis's thread and we can go from there.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The DKC isn't really a fantasy league, but it's similar. You can inquire at reddit.com/r/dkcleague

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

I'd join

Yep, makes sense. Let's see what comes of Denis's thread and we can go from there.

If your doing a fantasy basketball league could I join? I feel like that would be really fun. I've always wanted to try a keeper league but I would join either if your doing one.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Thanks, Roy. I actually posted a message on the reddit thread yesterday just inquiring about participation.

Forza, for sure. I'm excited about the idea, too. I've never been part of a keeper league.