Author Topic: Here in Houston they are on fire for Rondo  (Read 26068 times)

Re: Here in Houston they are on fire for Rondo
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
What do you think of Carmelo?

I like the idea of getting Asik and Lin for our trade exception, non-guaranteed and fillers. Helps both teams.

Are Houston fans higher on getting Rondo or higher on Carmelo? Anybody know?

Thing is, if they want Rondo, they'll have to give up an arm and a leg imo.

They could straight up sign Melo.

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I like the idea of getting Asik and Lin for our trade exception, non-guaranteed and fillers. Helps both teams.

This is simply not true, unless Melo will take about two-thirds of what he's offered elsewhere.

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

This is simply not true, unless Melo will take about two-thirds of what he's offered elsewhere.

Even after dumping Lin and Asik on us?

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I'm all in favor of the trade exception trade for Asik. The Lin deal makes sense if we can't do a Love trade which will probably be the case. Trading Rondo to Houston makes no sense. We need three all star quality players to be a deep playoff contender. We have one now and should try to draft one and sign or trade for one with all our future draft assets. My main question is whether the league will allow us to make this two separate trades. If not, then we can't combine players with a trade exception.

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Even after dumping Lin and Asik on us?

Yes.  That's how they get enough to offer him 2/3 of what others can offer.  Otherwise they're offering him the MLE.

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Additionally, I think Asik was great playing within Thibodeau's system but otherwise has not been all that great. I am not averse to trading Rondo but for a package anchored by Asik is not appealing in the least.

This is simply not true. Surprised someone no in tuned to the rockets fans heartbeat would think so.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 12:49:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
On fire, huh?

Well, let me put that fire out:

Nice pretty GREEN Fire Truck, too.

You ain't getting him, lol.....not for what I've seen offered.

Have these teams drooling over Rondo forgotten what he's done in the playoffs? His worth, IMO - is VERY high...I hope Danny doesn't let these teams low-ball us.

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
On fire, huh?

Have these teams drooling over Rondo forgotten what he's done in the playoffs? His worth, IMO - is VERY high...I hope Danny doesn't let these teams low-ball us.

I don't think Houston has a Ghosts chance of acquiring Rondo this off season.

Actually there is a Ghosts Chance, but it requires them to sacrifice just about any hope of Carmelo Anthony.

They could send us Asik/Lin/Unguaranteed contracts for Rondo/Wallace. That'd maximize our 2015 cap space.

But they'd lose the flexibility they need to add Anthony.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 07:12:11 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
On fire, huh?

Actually there is a Ghosts Chance, but it requires them to sacrifice just about any hope of Carmelo Anthony.

They could send us Asik/Lin/Unguaranteed contracts for Rondo/Wallace. That'd maximize our 2015 cap space.

That's a horrible trade for us.

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 07:28:50 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
On fire, huh?

But isn't anything involving Rondo "a horrible trade"?

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
On fire, huh?

I'd be willing to bet this one is objectively horrible.

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
On fire, huh?

Not really, acually. A Rondo & Wallace trade for Asik, Lin, expiring contract fillers, and a few 1st rd draft picks (including #25 this year) seems like a pretty good return. We'd be able to rid ourselves of the Wallace contract, something that Mannix has stated that would cost us a future 1st rd pick in itself. We also wouldn't be forced to give Rondo the max or near max money he'll be likely seeking this summer. This abdundance of cap space, especially if Green opts out of his contract at year's end as expected, would make us a major player in the summer of 15 when free agents include Love, M. Gasol, Jordan, Dragic, and Aldridge.

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 08:24:37 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
On fire, huh?

Not really, acually. A Rondo & Wallace trade for Asik, Lin, expiring contract fillers, and a few 1st rd draft picks (including #25 this year) seems like a pretty good return. We'd be able to rid ourselves of the Wallace contract, something that Mannix has stated that would cost us a future 1st rd pick in itself. We also wouldn't be forced to give Rondo the max or near max money he'll be likely seeking this summer. This abdundance of cap space, especially if Green opts out of his contract at year's end as expected, would make us a major player in the summer of 15 when free agents include Love, M. Gasol, Jordan, Dragic, and Aldridge.

First, Morey has to be willing to part ways with more than an underwhelming amount of firsts - which I doubt he would as taking back Gerald Wallace is a extra costly for a contending team like them. The handful of firsts will also be very late firsts. Also, the picks would be quite far down the line as (iirc) Houston doesn't have extra firsts anymore.

So it boils down to late firsts in 14 and 16 for Rondo?

Also funny how you freak out over the possibility that Rondo might get paid too much but don't even flinch about overpaying for DeAndre Jordan or Dragic.

And why not just send Wallace and a first to some other team when there's some certainty as to what will happen in '15?

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
On fire, huh?

First, Morey has to be willing to part ways with more than an underwhelming amount of firsts - which I doubt he would as taking back Gerald Wallace is a extra costly for a contending team like them. The handful of firsts will also be very late firsts. Also, the picks would be quite far down the line as (iirc) Houston doesn't have extra firsts anymore.

Also funny how you freak out over the possibility that Rondo might get paid too much but don't even flinch about overpaying for DeAndre Jordan or Dragic.

And why not just send Wallace and a first to some other team when there's some certainty as to what will happen in '15?

When is the last time you've seen Dragic play? If he's not better than Rondo right now, he certainly is a better fit in Stevens' system. I also don't think he'll command the amount Rondo will,  but that's just my opinion.

Bigs always gets paid and I don't see any reason why you would have any hesiatation in paying Jordan. He'll be just 27 in 2015 and improving yearly.

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
On fire, huh?

That's the point in making that offer. That is all Houston has to offer us which is most likely why we wouldn't make the trade...

And Wallace might be vastly over paid but he is perfect for a contending team. If we were able to amnesty his contract, teams would be fighting over him at low level money for his hustle and presence in the locker room. He is exactly what Houston needs off their bench although not for the money. If they were going after Rondo and took any chance of getting Melo out of the equation, a return of Rondo/Wallace really wouldn't be all that terrible for them player wise. Cap wise they would be completely strapped.