Author Topic: Here in Houston they are on fire for Rondo  (Read 26065 times)

Re: Here in Houston they are on fire for Rondo
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Asik doesn't make sense for the roster unless we keep Rondo to pair him with.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Hmm....Which Rondo are you trading? Two years ago or this year?

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just don't see what Houston has to offer us.  Parsons is a nice player but unless it's a sign and trade we'd be getting him as an expiring contract and he might leave us after next season.  Otherwise, they have no significant assets to send.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Asik + Terrence Jones to start.

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229

Didn't Terrence Jones stomp and beat a homeless man? I want no part of him on this team.

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Didn't Terrence Jones stomp and beat a homeless man? I want no part of him on this team.

Plus we already have plenty of talent at PF.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
My view on Asik. He does not produce enough offensively to fit Ainge's plan. Perkins didn't either, but, the team that Ainge built had three hall of fame scorers and they were effective outside shooters to boot.

Asik and Rondo on the floor together would be a good match with three count them three superb scorers. Hall of fame PF, winger and two guard. I ask you, gentlemen...no wait...I "Asik" you just where in tarnation are these three scorers to be found and do not offer Jeff Green, Sullinger and Bradley...please? That group lost a record smashing number of games last season...I know because I watched them.

IMO Asik's presence on the floor would put too much offensive pressure on the rest of the squad.

My guess is Ainge will keep throwing up slow curve balls, side arm junk and the occasional slider in the dirt to keep you and I guessing, while he waits for a solid B+ center who can hit a FT or two and do all the really cool 7 foot guy things that the Celtics don't do anymore....at all.

If Asik, indeed arrives here? It will be to Lord over another 29 and a half win season and a second foray into lotteryland...no, stop it, talk about something else, Pat's draft, Bruins, Jackie Bradley anything...

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Houstons a bad trade partner, but rondo would be a good fit there.

Id like Asik back and like 2 or 3 firsts. Didnt the Lakers give up 2 firsts for the corpse of steve nash?

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i'm not in love with Asik, but that Rockets fans think that they can get Rondo simply for Asik and spare parts is as laughable as some thinking we can land Love and/or Melo with Bass+Bogans and spare parts.

Asik is a fine role player. I also think he's talented enough to be a starter. But he cannot be the only good piece in that deal. I think Rondo+Wallace for Lin/Asik/Parsons/Beverly/Jones+2 top5 protected first round picks would be a fair trade.

Would you like a side of Durant with that?

well, they do get contract year Rondo who is an all-star in his prime. I would think the deal is fair since it lends the Rockets a reasonably wide championship window. Dwight+Harden+Rondo would be a youngish contending core. They can then reconstruct their roster the same way we did ours in 08, with MLE signings and vet minimums, along with their remaining players such as D-Mo and Casspi and the rest. If they need another player, we can throw in someone like Bass, i suppose. And Bogans as well.

For reference, the Knicks traded away Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Felton, Mosgov, Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry, 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for Melo. Granted, they got Billups as well (whom they amnestied by December the next year), and other spare parts like Sheldon Williams and Anthony Carter. I would say that's a richer (or about as equal) haul as Parsons (Gallo), Asik (Mosgov), Terrence Jones (Wilson Chandler), Patrick Beverly (Felton), Jeremy Lin (Curry+Randolph) and two first rounders.
I am not sure if you want to reference the knicks leadership as a basis for good trades and management. Dolan and company are infamous for leading the Knicks into nba's no ones land.

Besides, I don't think many people would same rondo is as good as melo, though that is admittedly a a small, not directly related point.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Talent, yes. But can they beat homeless people like jones does? ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 08:45:36 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
1. Houston doesn't have the assets.
2. Ainge is not an idiot.
3. NO Rondo to Houston.

Help the Rockets to make room by taking care of Lin+Asik would be nice if Houston adds a late 1st and an early 2nd round pick. Send them the TPE for either player, then Bogans+Joel for the other one and get the picks and their 30M combined salary (16M cap-wise).

Then Morey can go after Melo or whoever he thinks would mesh with Harden/Dwight. Win/win.

I don't think you're going to get a pick if you make them take back Joel.  Frankly, Houston doesn't do it at all if Joel is coming back.  But you don't need to add Joel if you instead add Babb to make salaries match.

I'm fine with Lin and Asik for free if we're just taking on salaries.  I think getting a draft pick is greedy.  Those two make us a better team, and don't require long-term commitment if we find out they don't fit well.  We're not a championship team with them, but that's okay when you're doing one year rentals which cost no future assets to acquire .

I think I agree with your take.  Plus, if it doesn't seem like they'll be long term fits, as expirings, and pretty good players, Danny might be able to flip them at the deadline for picks.  All for, as you rightly noted, taking on salaries for one year.  I think it's a great use of the TPE and expirings we have, whether these guys are in the long term picture or not.  Still leaves Danny the flexibility of going total rebuild, or quick turn-around.  It's a no lose situation, if, in fact, Houston is hell bent on creating cap room for the likes of Melo.

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I don't see the wisdom of the 'revolving door' idea with ending up with Lin and Asik while we are trying to rebuild. While I like both as players, they would take minutes away from guys who need to develop and it's very unlikely that we'd be able to keep Lin or Asik longer-term for a salary that mirrors their production.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Talent, yes. But can they beat homeless people like jones does? ;)

I laughed so hard at this one.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
What do you think of Carmelo?

I like the idea of getting Asik and Lin for our trade exception, non-guaranteed and fillers. Helps both teams.

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
What do you think of Carmelo?

I like the idea of getting Asik and Lin for our trade exception, non-guaranteed and fillers. Helps both teams.

Are Houston fans higher on getting Rondo or higher on Carmelo? Anybody know?