Author Topic: Here in Houston they are on fire for Rondo  (Read 26067 times)

Here in Houston they are on fire for Rondo
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
It is the topic regarding the Rockets down here. "How can we get Rondo?" "We get Rondo and we can compete for a title." This just will not go away, between the Celtics-Rockets front office/coaching connection and the Rockets desperate need at point, this will go on till the cows come home.

Now what I find strange about this is that I do not get why would we would want Omar Asik. Yes I know the analytics folks like him (not love, like) but I feel like he would be just another plodding player we seem to always have. My major issue for years is how slow we are. We get roughed up by athletic teams and really need have a bit more "get up and go" on our roster.

Additionally, I think Asik was great playing within Thibodeau's system but otherwise has not been all that great. I am not averse to trading Rondo but for a package anchored by Asik is not appealing in the least.

I understand the Celtics need for a rim protector, however it is a bit ironic seeing that we continue to draft under-sized players, players who are slow, players that have no vertical game. You pick Bradley, Johnson, Sullinger, Melo, Olynyk  and what do expect honestly? Each of them had some sort of physical limitation or in the case of Melo and Johnson, could not play the game.

If we trade Rondo to Houston we will not get back equal value. That is a rule you are not supposed top break.

Re: Here in Houston they are on fire for Rondo
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree with you that we will not get back equal value in a Rondo to Houston trade - another team would absolutely have to be involved.

With Asik, I kind of look at that as a totally different deal (involving the trade exception and possibly a pick). If he is one of the cornerstones of a Rondo deal, then we should all be a little upset.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
i'm not in love with Asik, but that Rockets fans think that they can get Rondo simply for Asik and spare parts is as laughable as some thinking we can land Love and/or Melo with Bass+Bogans and spare parts.

Asik is a fine role player. I also think he's talented enough to be a starter. But he cannot be the only good piece in that deal. I think Rondo+Wallace for Lin/Asik/Parsons/Beverly/Jones+2 top5 protected first round picks would be a fair trade.

- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 01:48:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What do the Rockets have to offer us for Rondo?

-No lottery pick

-No high-level, young prospects on rookies deals (excepting Parsons-who isn't enough)

-Likely unable to offer cap relief

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Regardless of whether it's Rondo we trade or not, Houston will be desperate to improve this summer because they have hit the jackpot by signing two top-15 players yet are still not realistically in title contention. If they don't get an extra piece quickly, they'll have squandered a golden opportunity that most other teams would kill for.

We should be geared up to take advantage of that desperation the best we can.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
i'm not in love with Asik, but that Rockets fans think that they can get Rondo simply for Asik and spare parts is as laughable as some thinking we can land Love and/or Melo with Bass+Bogans and spare parts.

Asik is a fine role player. I also think he's talented enough to be a starter. But he cannot be the only good piece in that deal. I think Rondo+Wallace for Lin/Asik/Parsons/Beverly/Jones+2 top5 protected first round picks would be a fair trade.

Would you like a side of Durant with that?

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

well, they do get contract year Rondo who is an all-star in his prime. I would think the deal is fair since it lends the Rockets a reasonably wide championship window. Dwight+Harden+Rondo would be a youngish contending core. They can then reconstruct their roster the same way we did ours in 08, with MLE signings and vet minimums, along with their remaining players such as D-Mo and Casspi and the rest. If they need another player, we can throw in someone like Bass, i suppose. And Bogans as well.

For reference, the Knicks traded away Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Felton, Mosgov, Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry, 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for Melo. Granted, they got Billups as well (whom they amnestied by December the next year), and other spare parts like Sheldon Williams and Anthony Carter. I would say that's a richer (or about as equal) haul as Parsons (Gallo), Asik (Mosgov), Terrence Jones (Wilson Chandler), Patrick Beverly (Felton), Jeremy Lin (Curry+Randolph) and two first rounders.

- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My hope is that Paul asks out of the Clippers when Sterling won't leave, and we can get Lin and Asik while the Clippers get draft picks and no salary.  This also tanks the Clippers and we get a better draft pick.  And the Rondo to Houston rumors can be forever quashed.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Asik doesn't make sense if they are getting rid of Rondo.  Asik will be 28 by next season.  He is not a rebuilding type player and the Celtics are not going to trade Rondo for salary cap relief.  Asik only makes sense if the C's are going for the quick turn around. 

I don;t see how Houston can get Rondo without a third team.  And I don't see how Houston gets a third team that has anything the Celtics would want involved.  My guess is that the good folks of Houston need a new topic of discussion. 

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

well, they do get contract year Rondo who is an all-star in his prime. I would think the deal is fair since it lends the Rockets a reasonably wide championship window. Dwight+Harden+Rondo would be a youngish contending core. They can then reconstruct their roster the same way we did ours in 08, with MLE signings and vet minimums, along with their remaining players such as D-Mo and Casspi and the rest. If they need another player, we can throw in someone like Bass, i suppose. And Bogans as well.

For reference, the Knicks traded away Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Felton, Mosgov, Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry, 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for Melo. Granted, they got Billups as well (whom they amnestied by December the next year), and other spare parts like Sheldon Williams and Anthony Carter. I would say that's a richer (or about as equal) haul as Parsons (Gallo), Asik (Mosgov), Terrence Jones (Wilson Chandler), Patrick Beverly (Felton), Jeremy Lin (Curry+Randolph) and two first rounders.

I hear what you're saying. I just don't think Houston goes for what you suggest which is Asik/Lin/Beverly/Jones/Parsons/picks for Rondo and Wallace.

Personally, I'd be happy with Rondo/Wallace for Lin/Asik/Parsons and Beverly if DA could swing it.
Don't really need picks and Jones.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 03:36:06 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Ill be happy with rondo/wallace for asik lin and parsons.. Doubt theyd give up anything more...
I dont see houston trading both their pgs especially not beverly... Also doubt theyd give up Terrence Jones in the deal as well as hes been performing greatly this year alongside dwight howard so id settle for Asik Lin and Parsons... They might evn be reluctant in this deal but this seems fair.. Dont see any picks being thrown in..

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I've been a big proponent of obtaining Asik, but no way in hell should we trade Rondo if Asik is the main piece in return. We can have Asik for a late 1st at any time imo.

As for trading Rondo to Houston, in addition to Asik, I would want Parsons and Lin, and for Houston to take on Wallace. Rondo has not returned to form yet after his ACL surgery, and will be a FA in a year, so we can't demand much more than that for him. Teams will be waiting to sign him next summer if we hold out for the moon.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
1. Houston doesn't have the assets.
2. Ainge is not an idiot.
3. NO Rondo to Houston.

Help the Rockets to make room by taking care of Lin+Asik would be nice if Houston adds a late 1st and an early 2nd round pick. Send them the TPE for either player, then Bogans+Joel for the other one and get the picks and their 30M combined salary (16M cap-wise).

Then Morey can go after Melo or whoever he thinks would mesh with Harden/Dwight. Win/win.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Ill be happy with rondo/wallace for asik lin and parsons.. Doubt theyd give up anything more...
I dont see houston trading both their pgs especially not beverly... Also doubt theyd give up Terrence Jones in the deal as well as hes been performing greatly this year alongside dwight howard so id settle for Asik Lin and Parsons... They might evn be reluctant in this deal but this seems fair.. Dont see any picks being thrown in..

Where does that trade leave you?  A lot of cap space in 2015 and not much else, other than hope that free agents will want to come without a franchise player already in place.  No thanks.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
1. Houston doesn't have the assets.
2. Ainge is not an idiot.
3. NO Rondo to Houston.

Help the Rockets to make room by taking care of Lin+Asik would be nice if Houston adds a late 1st and an early 2nd round pick. Send them the TPE for either player, then Bogans+Joel for the other one and get the picks and their 30M combined salary (16M cap-wise).

Then Morey can go after Melo or whoever he thinks would mesh with Harden/Dwight. Win/win.

I don't think you're going to get a pick if you make them take back Joel.  Frankly, Houston doesn't do it at all if Joel is coming back.  But you don't need to add Joel if you instead add Babb to make salaries match.

I'm fine with Lin and Asik for free if we're just taking on salaries.  I think getting a draft pick is greedy.  Those two make us a better team, and don't require long-term commitment if we find out they don't fit well.  We're not a championship team with them, but that's okay when you're doing one year rentals which cost no future assets to acquire .