Author Topic: The Draft & Getting a Return on Jeff Green  (Read 4240 times)

The Draft & Getting a Return on Jeff Green
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:52 AM »

Offline 617in718

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Here's my stance on the draft: 

Embiid is great if he's healthy and available when the C's draft, but if he isn't (and I believe he won't be), I'm loudly beating the Exum drum.  He's got height, foot-speed, range, the ability to create his own shot, and above all else, serious maturity.  From what I've seen of this kid, both in game film and interviews, he has the IQ and desire to learn high-end defense.  Drafting him also bids farewell to AB, who I love, but has no future next to Rondo.

Exum's gone when the C's draft?  It's Gordon time.  AG with Rondo would work itself out offensively, and the kid is a defensive beast.  Great building-block with monster upside.

All that said, assuming Embiid is in fact gone on draft night, here's an idea for centers:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pj2mgrj

Boston gets:
Gorgui Dieng, Timofey Mozgov, Nate Robinson

Denver gets:
Chase Budinger
J.J. Barea

Minnesota gets:
Jeff Green
Phil Pressey
DEN second round pick
BOS two second rounders when Philly misses the playoffs in '15

Dieng is a dynamic young center to build around, and Mozgov is underrated and poorly utilized in Denver - this would offer two strings of solid rim-protection and allow Sully and Olynyk to shift back to their natural positions.  I'd even consider giving up a protected first-rounder to make this happen. 

The Green experiment failed, and he has no future in Boston.  Minny will go for a win-now attempt before they have to concede and trade Love, and Green starting as a third of fourth option would help them achieve that.

I expect Ainge to trade for or sign an all-star SF - that's where the fireworks begin...

Re: The Draft & Getting a Return on Jeff Green
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I expect Ainge to trade for or sign an all-star SF - that's where the fireworks begin...

Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Paul George, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Paul Pierce.

Who out of that list of all-star SFs of the past three years do you expect Ainge to go after?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:20:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
^Deng + Anthony seem like the most available.

So the starting lineup post trade would look like this:

Rondo/Nate Rob
?/Nate Rob
All Star SF/Gordon
Sully/Oly/Gordon
Mozgov/Dieng

Not the most exciting proposal I've seen.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »

Offline 617in718

• Open Roster Spot
Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Paul George, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Paul Pierce.

Who out of that list of all-star SFs of the past three years do you expect Ainge to go after?

I hate to say it, because with his attitude I can't ever see him winning anything, but I have a strange suspicion Ainge is going to make a strong push for Anthony.  I hope I'm wrong.  James is a pipe dream, but who wouldn't want him on their team.

SF just seems like the "fireworks" position.  I believe that Rondo's sticking around, so he's your PG, I can't think of any "fireworks"-caliber SG/Cs available through FA or trades, and the only PF that fits that description is Love, but he's likely to go to LA after the 2015 season, and unless Ainge can create a team with a championship two year plan (which I just don't see - they don't make leaders like Pierce and Garnett anymore), I don't see him giving up what it would take to get Love.  So I gotta think he has something up his sleeve for a big-time SF.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Honestly, we'll be lucky to get cap relief and minor role players for Jeff Green.  Nobody is going to give up significant current or future value for him.

Personally I like the idea of seeing if Atlanta is interested in a modest upgrade at the SF position.  They might trade us a couple end of rotation players in return, and they have the cap space to absorb Green's contract without needing to make salaries match.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »

Offline 617in718

• Open Roster Spot
Rondo/Nate Rob
?/Nate Rob
All Star SF/Gordon
Sully/Oly/Gordon
Mozgov/Dieng

Take Gordon out throw Exum in the SG slot.  And start Dieng - he proved he's ready to take the next step.  That's a [dang] good line-up of talent, maturity, and youth.

Do you think Sully's the long-term answer at PF?  I love the kid, but I'm still not completely sold on his overall game.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Honestly, we'll be lucky to get cap relief and minor role players for Jeff Green.  Nobody is going to give up significant current or future value for him.

Personally I like the idea of seeing if Atlanta is interested in a modest upgrade at the SF position.  They might trade us a couple end of rotation players in return, and they have the cap space to absorb Green's contract without needing to make salaries match.

I don't think you're right at all.  You undervalue Green big time.  Green has far more value than that.  He's a double digit scorer who is an extremely effective #3 or #4 scorer. 

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You undervalue Green big time.  Green has far more value than that.  He's a double digit scorer who is an extremely effective #3 or #4 scorer.

He's paid like an extremely effective #3 or #4 scorer.

In truth he's a just-okay 3rd or 4th scorer who brings little else to the table.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Yeah, right... let's get Rudy Gay instead!!

Outside the case where we draft Wiggins or Parker, it makes little sense to trade Green unless he lands the Cs a bigtime player (highly improbable).

Green is an efficient 9M player, it could be a lot worse...

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You undervalue Green big time.  Green has far more value than that.  He's a double digit scorer who is an extremely effective #3 or #4 scorer.

He's paid like an extremely effective #3 or #4 scorer.

In truth he's a just-okay 3rd or 4th scorer who brings little else to the table.
Oh, he is?

Jeff Green is currently paid a little less than $9 million. Other guys who play similar-ish positions and earn similar money include Evans ($10.3 million), Gallinari ($10.1 million), G Wallace ($10.1 million), Curry ($9.9 million), DeRozan ($9.8 million), Millsap ($9.3 million), Young ($8.9 million), Villanueva ($8.5 million), Stuckey ($8.5 million), Ryan Anderson ($8.3 million), Thornton, Butler, and Mayo ($8 million), Ilyasova ($7.9 million), Afflalo ($7.7 million) and Ariza ($7.7 million). Salmons, Gibson, Marvin Williams and Ginobili make around $7.5 million.

These are more or less all the forwards that are paid within $1.5 million annual from Green's salary. Outside of DeRozan and Curry, there aren't any guys in that group that are "extremely efficient".

As a matter of fact, it looks to me like Green is paid exactly like what he (and almost everyone else on the list) is: a guy who can eat minutes and score a little bit, but you're in trouble if you expect them to carry your team.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:01:09 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
The undervaluing of Jeff Green is comical on this site sometimes. Yes, he's not Pierce in his prime. Yes, he's not KD. You're not getting those guys for $9m/year, and you're not trading for them with Perk coming off an ACL tear. I'd trade Green if he was part of a package to get a star, or a comparably good role player at a position of greater need (i.e. center). I'd trade Green to net us a high draft pick (i.e. top 10). I wouldn't trade Green for anything else. You know what you get with Green - 15-18 points a night, good all-around game, and the occasional monster game. That's not bad at all, especially on his contract. I still think he can be better (if he works on his left side game and some in-between moves), especially if he gets more looks (he gets a lot fewer touches than the top players some on here always compare him negatively to), but as he is now, I'm happy with Green and think its ludicrous to want to trade him for the scrap metal/cap relief many suggest shipping him off for.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »

Offline DaddyDopeD

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1
Good idea. I think if we focus on free agency it should be on the 2015 class because it is STACKED. Although for next year, I'm hoping for a good draft and develop the young's for one more year before contention. My idea:

1) Trade Green + 5th overall for Greg Monroe + 8th

2) Select either Nik Stauskas or Garry Harris with the 8th pick. Stauskas has been rising on draft boards. It may be a little premature but with Bradleys elite defense at the 2, Nik would be a huge upgrade in the scoring department. Kid is lights out behind the arc and I can't help but picture a Klay Thompson/Gordon Hayward type of player back there on a rookie deal.

3) Again, may be a little bold but I'm high on K.J Mcdaniels. An athletic freak, second to Wiggins, is a huge sleeper from Clemson. An elite defender, shot blocker and rebounder with a developing shot could be the biggest steal of the draft if he pans out. 24 points, 10 rebounds and 3 swats against Duke... :o

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
TP and welcome to Triple D. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I wouldn't mind having Rudy Gay. He's owed a ton, I know, but he's only got one year left. At worse, he'll be a big expiring contract who will clear up a ton of money for next year. At best. he's a 20 point scorer, still relatively young, solid defender (when he wants to be) and has shown he can be efficient scorer as a second option..

I don't know how we'll be able to get him. Jeff Green of course has to be involved, maybe the 2nd 1st too, but I'm not sure which other guys would be included to equal $19 million. But I would be good if we have him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I wouldn't mind having Rudy Gay. He's owed a ton, I know, but he's only got one year left. At worse, he'll be a big expiring contract who will clear up a ton of money for next year. At best. he's a 20 point scorer, still relatively young, solid defender (when he wants to be) and has shown he can be efficient scorer as a second option..

I don't know how we'll be able to get him. Jeff Green of course has to be involved, maybe the 2nd 1st too, but I'm not sure which other guys would be included to equal $19 million. But I would be good if we have him.

Rudy Gay is in that weird zone of being so widely decried that he might be underrated now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.