Author Topic: Asik trade rumors (deal reportedly off)  (Read 176016 times)

Re: Asik trade rumors (deal reportedly off)
« Reply #825 on: December 20, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
The worst part of all this...I have to continue to hear all this Asik trade rumor bull@$&£ for another 2 months!
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #826 on: December 20, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
hahaha, is this real?

I guess the whole "getting Asik to buy in" thing isn't off to a great start...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #827 on: December 20, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
hahaha, is this real?

lol no

« Reply #828 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
hahaha, is this real?

lol no

Oh, boy.  Asik "forcing" a trade...

He's really "pushing it."

McHale comments: "We can't have things like this poisoning the locker room."

Morey:  "We're all caught in an awkward position."

« Reply #829 on: December 20, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Woj is such a bastion of hard hitting investigative journalism.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #830 on: December 20, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
hahaha, is this real?

With websites like this, probably not. 

It's not on his Twitter feed.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #831 on: December 20, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
hahaha, is this real?

Well, if it's coming from Woj, then it's got to be real!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #832 on: December 20, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2544
hahaha, is this real?

With websites like this, probably not. 

It's not on his Twitter feed.

A bit funny, but ridiculous. I think it is best (and fairest to Asik) to assume that it is completely untrue. 

« Reply #833 on: December 20, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Beating a dead horse at this point, but there's one last question I have on the Asik front.

Houston set December 19th as their fictitious "deadline" for an Asik trade.  The reasoning was that they wanted to have the flexibility to re-trade anyone they acquired at the deadline.   You have to wait 60 days to trade anyone you acquire in a trade.  Trade deadline is Feb 20th... hence the December 19th "deadline".

But during all this madness, I saw one person claim that December 20th was the ACTUAL cut/off day if a team wanted to dump acquired players is the deadline.  Is that true?  I'm too lazy to count days... What's 60 days from today?

Edit:  Or is it "2 months" and not 60 days.  And if it's "2 months" how do they determine the length of months?  Do they just average it?  Confusing.

Edit 2:  "If teams acquire a player in a trade, they are allowed to trade that player straight-up for another individual player immediately. However, if teams wish to package that player with another and make a trade, they must wait 60 days before doing so."

... I think that means December 19th might have been a fib... 60 days from now is Feb 18th.   I'm just sayin... something to grasp at if you're still desperately hoping for an Asik trade.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:17:15 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #834 on: December 20, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm at the same point with this as I was with the KG+Doc to Clippers drama this summer:  I don't really care which way it goes, I just want it to end.

« Reply #835 on: December 20, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Beating a dead horse at this point, but there's one last question I have on the Asik front.

Houston set December 19th as their fictitious "deadline" for an Asik trade.  The reasoning was that they wanted to have the flexibility to re-trade anyone they acquired at the deadline.   You have to wait 60 days to trade anyone you acquire in a trade.  Trade deadline is Feb 20th... hence the December 19th "deadline".

But during all this madness, I saw one person claim that December 20th was the ACTUAL cut/off day if a team wanted to dump acquired players is the deadline.  Is that true?  I'm too lazy to count days... What's 60 days from today?

Edit:  Or is it "2 months" and not 60 days.  And if it's "2 months" how do they determine the length of months?  Do they just average it?  Confusing.

Edit 2:  "If teams acquire a player in a trade, they are allowed to trade that player straight-up for another individual player immediately. However, if teams wish to package that player with another and make a trade, they must wait 60 days before doing so."

... I think that means December 19th might have been a fib... 60 days from now is Feb 18th.   I'm just sayin... something to grasp at if you're still desperately hoping for an Asik trade.

I was right:

As ESPN.com reported Dec. 6, Rockets officials initially began telling other teams they were determined to trade Asik by Dec. 19 because Thursday was believed to be the last day any players involved in the trade could be repackaged with other players in subsequent trades this season before the annual trade deadline. The league office subsequently informed Houston that it could actually take until Friday of this week to move Asik and still be able to retrade anyone involved in the deal by Feb. 20, but the Rockets elected to end talks for now and try to regroup.

Just saying... still the slight chance of an Asik trade today.  Could have been posturing on Houston's part.  "That's it... we're not doing anything"... Then cross their fingers and hope for a panic move from Philly or Boston.

Put it at like 20% chance, but I mean... it's a chance. Also, combined with the fact that Thad Young just demanded a trade... I'd be surprised if Houston wasn't having discussions at this very moment.  Even if it's just due diligence last-second conversations.

« Reply #836 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I'm at the same point with this as I was with the KG+Doc to Clippers drama this summer:  I don't really care which way it goes, I just want it to end.

Agreed. 100%.

Also, good points LB33. I was half expecting to read a tweet around now saying "Boston and Houston rampantly rehashing talks..." Not sure how optimistic I feel now though.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #837 on: December 20, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3063
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I was right:

As ESPN.com reported Dec. 6, Rockets officials initially began telling other teams they were determined to trade Asik by Dec. 19 because Thursday was believed to be the last day any players involved in the trade could be repackaged with other players in subsequent trades this season before the annual trade deadline. The league office subsequently informed Houston that it could actually take until Friday of this week to move Asik and still be able to retrade anyone involved in the deal by Feb. 20, but the Rockets elected to end talks for now and try to regroup.

Just saying... still the slight chance of an Asik trade today.  Could have been posturing on Houston's part.  "That's it... we're not doing anything"... Then cross their fingers and hope for a panic move from Philly or Boston.

Put it at like 20% chance, but I mean... it's a chance. Also, combined with the fact that Thad Young just demanded a trade... I'd be surprised if Houston wasn't having discussions at this very moment.  Even if it's just due diligence last-second conversations.
Yeah I doubt it though the way these things drag on the talks would have started this morning and been leaked by now the way Houston doesn't keep anything in house. Let's hope there is some debating somebody overrules Morey and he comes calling before midnight.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #838 on: December 20, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Morey is using us to sweeten the pot.   

« Reply #839 on: December 20, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3063
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
So much for the deal happening sometime today, according to Morey it looks like ownership is maybe what made the deal fall through. We can finally move on now.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, speaking on radio station SportsTalk 790 Friday morning with hosts Adam Clanton and Lance Zierlein, said the deal they had in place fell apart.

“We were definitely trying to move (Asik),” said Morey. “It was trending towards something happening, but sometimes when you get to those last approvals and the owner, I think as Houston fans know from past deals that didn’t come off that looked like they were done, they don’t happen.”

The better offers? Those never arrived.

“You’re obviously never going to do a deal that doesn’t help the team or keep you at least even,” said Morey. “And those didn’t present themselves.”

Morey said he spoke to Asik personally on Thursday.

“It’s pretty likely that Omer is here for quite a long time,” said Morey. “A lot of the dynamics that went into things not working out don’t change, in terms of the contract and things like that. We did feel like we owed it to Omer to give a strong look at it, but nothing ended up materializing.”

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5761/morey-asik-trade-fell-apart-at-high-level/
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk