Author Topic: Asik trade rumors (deal reportedly off)  (Read 175583 times)

Re: Asik Deadline Arriving....
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is from a poster on the realgm Celtics forum. No clue on his credentials or those of his sources (i.e if he's been accurate in the past). But it is interesting and something I could see happening

Re: Omer Asik Trade
by ddb on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:27 pm

okay so here is what I've been told by a buddy of mine on the Asik/Boston speculation. Take it for what it's worth.

Ainge is trying like hell to get Philly to become a facilitator in an Asik to Boston deal. Green and Bass are 2 players that peak Hou's interest. Ainge, believe it or not would like to hang on to both Green and Bass. I was told that Ainge loves the way Bass as matured as a player on and off the court. Views him as the prototypical 3rd big on a very good team. Even if Ainge is able to get this deal done he still views Sully/Bass finishing games together with Asik on the bench. Asik is a very good defensive Center, but not the type of guy you want on the court to finish games because of his horrendous free throw shooting and inability to space the floor. So ideally what Ainge is hoping for is an Asik/Sully unit starting. Bass as 3rd big, KO and Fav fight for 4th big mins. And then as far as Green goes, Ainge thinks Green is too steep an asking price for Asik. They see no reason to move Green who they view as a guy on a "fair" market deal.

So that leads us to Philly. Philly has 3 players who Houston is interested in. Turner, Young, Hawes. And we know about Philly needing to get to the salary cap floor at some point this season.

so what Ainge is trying to do is move the expiring deals of Hump/Bogans to Philly which gets them to the floor. and we know Hump/Bogs expire so Philly isn't hit with any contacts beyond this season. Essentially they get worse and pretty much guarantee themselves a top 5 pick this year. Ainge wants Philly to move 1 of the Hawes, Turner, Young group to Houston and then Asik would end up in Boston. I'm told Ainge is willing to deal 1 pick to Philly, likely the 2015 clips pick in exchange for cooperating as a facilitator. Ainge is also willing to basically give Brooks to Houston as well as a sweetener.

So it would look something like this.

Boston Out: Hump/Bogans/Brooks/2015 Clips
Boston In: Asik

Philly Out: Young
Philly In: Hump/Bogans/2015 Clips pick

Houston Out: Asik
Houston in: Young/Brooks

Leaves the Celts with a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully/Asik starting 5. Crawford is 1st guard off bench, Bass is first big off bench. Wallace/Lee/KO/Fav round out the bench unit. Very solid team that should be good enough for a Top 4 seed. So Ainge is developing his young core in a winning environment but is keeping potential future moves in play by keeping the majority of his picks, most notably the 2014 picks.

Leaves Philly with a terrible team. Along with Utah and Milwaukee, Philly would be a lock for a Top 5 pick. They maintain full control of their cap and then can feel comfortable rolling out MCW, Turner, etc without worrying about winning too many games. Ideally, they land Parker or Wiggins this year and then another blue chipper like Myles or Okafor next year... along with cap space they should be done with their rebuild by 2015.

Leaves Houston with Beverly/Harden/Parsons/Young/Howard Lin/Jones on bench among the others.

Personally, I think it's a win, win, win. Really just comes down to Philly cooperating and Houston being good with the Young/Brooks return

Why are Bogans and Brooks included at all?  Neither have to be -  the salaries without them work just fine, except Philly isn't taking on $6 mil of payroll.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why are Bogans and Brooks included at all?  Neither have to be -  the salaries without them work just fine, except Philly isn't taking on $6 mil of payroll.
Because the idiot who concocted the "rumour" has no idea what he's doing.

Brooks actually probably has negative value in a trade at this stage of his career. He's under contract  through next season, and whatever game he had has fallen off a cliff.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This is from a poster on the realgm Celtics forum. No clue on his credentials or those of his sources (i.e if he's been accurate in the past). But it is interesting and something I could see happening

okay so here is what I've been told by a buddy of mine on the Asik/Boston speculation. Take it for what it's worth.

ddb is also a recent member of this board

I have been a long long time lurker on the zRealGm board and ddb is a knowledgeable and well respected poster there with a reputation there for having fairly credible sources.

That being said, I hope he's right on this.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 7m
As Dec. 19 draws near, more & more folks forecasting three-team Asik deal & Boston right there w/Philly now in terms of likely destinations

How reliable is Marc Stein?

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
My only issue with this rumor is why would Houston want Young assuming they are going to try and resign Parsons.

Do we think Young is a better alternative to Parsons. That's the one holdup for me.

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

There's about a 99% chance that's not legit, but the motivations all sound really plausible.  I'd be surprised if Danny wasn't at least looking into Asik, and this is the sort of framework he might try to put together to do it.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Brooks actually probably has negative value in a trade at this stage of his career. He's under contract  through next season, and whatever game he had has fallen off a cliff.

The Celtics did not pick up Brooks' option for next year (tbat deadline was the same day as when Bradley could accept an extension back in October), so he's pure salary filler this year.  That said, his salary fills no void in this trade, so he's really just valueless.

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not believing that the other teams would do this deal.  And I have no trouble moving Bass.  He's not a true starter for us.  A nice 6th man to have, but not for what we're paying him.  Not to mention he's on a multiyear deal.

I'd rather move Bass plus pieces.  Brooks of course is fungible but I don't see him being valuable enough for any team to want him without Bass.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

ddb is also a recent member of this board

I have been a long long time lurker on the zRealGm board and ddb is a knowledgeable and well respected poster there with a reputation there for having fairly credible sources.

That being said, I hope he's right on this.

If that is the same ddb I will believe him over anyone else on this board. Honestly. I just can't understand why Ainge wants to keep Bass. I mean getting Asik wouldn't be a bad deal at all. Let's face it the Clippers pick in 2015 was acquired to be traded. So this shouldn't surprise anyone.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

The Celtics did not pick up Brooks' option for next year (tbat deadline was the same day as when Bradley could accept an extension back in October), so he's pure salary filler this year.  That said, his salary fills no void in this trade, so he's really just valueless.

In the rumor it's to get Philadelphia to the salary floor (salary they have to pay out anyways)

So basically Danny's paying them a 1st for salary they would've paid out regardless and Thad Young. Which might not sound like much but it's a steal for Danny.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Ainge is trying like hell to get Philly to become a facilitator in an Asik to Boston deal. Green and Bass are 2 players that peak Hou's interest. Ainge, believe it or not would like to hang on to both Green and Bass. I was told that Ainge loves the way Bass as matured as a player on and off the court. Views him as the prototypical 3rd big on a very good team. Even if Ainge is able to get this deal done he still views Sully/Bass finishing games together with Asik on the bench. Asik is a very good defensive Center, but not the type of guy you want on the court to finish games because of his horrendous free throw shooting and inability to space the floor. So ideally what Ainge is hoping for is an Asik/Sully unit starting. Bass as 3rd big, KO and Fav fight for 4th big mins. And then as far as Green goes, Ainge thinks Green is too steep an asking price for Asik. They see no reason to move Green who they view as a guy on a "fair" market deal.

So that leads us to Philly. Philly has 3 players who Houston is interested in. Turner, Young, Hawes. And we know about Philly needing to get to the salary cap floor at some point this season.

so what Ainge is trying to do is move the expiring deals of Hump/Bogans to Philly which gets them to the floor. and we know Hump/Bogs expire so Philly isn't hit with any contacts beyond this season. Essentially they get worse and pretty much guarantee themselves a top 5 pick this year. Ainge wants Philly to move 1 of the Hawes, Turner, Young group to Houston and then Asik would end up in Boston. I'm told Ainge is willing to deal 1 pick to Philly, likely the 2015 clips pick in exchange for cooperating as a facilitator. Ainge is also willing to basically give Brooks to Houston as well as a sweetener.

So it would look something like this.

Boston Out: Hump/Bogans/Brooks/2015 Clips
Boston In: Asik

Philly Out: Young
Philly In: Hump/Bogans/2015 Clips pick

Houston Out: Asik
Houston in: Young/Brooks

Leaves the Celts with a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully/Asik starting 5. Crawford is 1st guard off bench, Bass is first big off bench. Wallace/Lee/KO/Fav round out the bench unit. Very solid team that should be good enough for a Top 4 seed. So Ainge is developing his young core in a winning environment but is keeping potential future moves in play by keeping the majority of his picks, most notably the 2014 picks.

Leaves Philly with a terrible team. Along with Utah and Milwaukee, Philly would be a lock for a Top 5 pick. They maintain full control of their cap and then can feel comfortable rolling out MCW, Turner, etc without worrying about winning too many games. Ideally, they land Parker or Wiggins this year and then another blue chipper like Myles or Okafor next year... along with cap space they should be done with their rebuild by 2015.

Leaves Houston with Beverly/Harden/Parsons/Young/Howard Lin/Jones on bench among the others.

Personally, I think it's a win, win, win. Really just comes down to Philly cooperating and Houston being good with the Young/Brooks return
probably the most reasonable deal I've seen so far for Asik

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
So basically (if we acquired Asik) we're trying to be a playoff contender this year if even we don't go all the way? I don't mind it get our young guys some experience, we all know Sully/KO even AB will be better players from it. We'd be pretty dang beast defensively. It'd set a nice tone for free agents next year depending how much noise we made. and it isn't like this would be our ceiling when we've got a back pocket full of picks.....would we have cap space to sign a difference maker next year as well?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If there's any truth to this rumor at all you have to think that demand for Asik is nowhere near as high as you'd expect it to be. Perhaps GMs know something we don't?

Great words from a great man

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Those Rondo-to-SAC rumblings have been shot down pretty firmly ... but I continue to hear Celts remain at heart of trade mix for Omer Asik

As Dec. 19 draws near, more & more folks forecasting three-team Asik deal & Boston right there w/Philly now in terms of likely destinations

Couple tweets Marc Stein just put out tonight. This thing might have some wheels.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
if we get Asik for expirings and a pick, I think that's very reasonable

hope ddb is right
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)