Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: How's my CB Draft Team look?  (Read 251721 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: How's my CB Draft Team look?
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Milwaukee Bucks

PG: Mike Conley Jr
SG: JJ Redick
SF: Paul George
PF: Ryan Anderson
 C: Emeka Okafor

Defense and 3's; bring it, we ain't scared.

I don't believe in Meka as a starting 5. I love everything else.

Edit: To give a little more, I really love everything else. Conley has been underrated for so long, he's dangerously close to the David West zone, where he's somewhat overrated til he's underrated again. JJ Redick is a okay starter, his shooting was ordinary last year, which is a worrying thing but..meh. Ryan Anderson I like here, but Id like him a lot more if you went full balls out on a Tyson chandler type at the 5, which Okafor ain't. TWW and others have a point about George, he is a defensive stud but his offensive abilities can be a little overrated at this point, especially from a efficiency standpoint.

But I think overall it gels nicely, and your bench should have no problem plugging any holes.

Curious as to why you wouldn't believe in Okafor as a starting center.  His defensive win shares had him in the top 25 (#23 actually) of all players last season.  I don't need to him to score much, just play D and rebound.  He does those as well as most any center.

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2013, 01:05:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Milwaukee Bucks

I don't believe in Meka as a starting 5. I love everything else.

Edit: To give a little more, I really love everything else. Conley has been underrated for so long, he's dangerously close to the David West zone, where he's somewhat overrated til he's underrated again. JJ Redick is a okay starter, his shooting was ordinary last year, which is a worrying thing but..meh. Ryan Anderson I like here, but Id like him a lot more if you went full balls out on a Tyson chandler type at the 5, which Okafor ain't. TWW and others have a point about George, he is a defensive stud but his offensive abilities can be a little overrated at this point, especially from a efficiency standpoint.

But I think overall it gels nicely, and your bench should have no problem plugging any holes.

Curious as to why you wouldn't believe in Okafor as a starting center.  His defensive win shares had him in the top 25 (#23 actually) of all players last season.  I don't need to him to score much, just play D and rebound.  He does those as well as most any center.

Well, he basically allowed as good as he gave as a center last year (82games), and that's allowing slightly above average production. Okafor isn't a great rim protector, he's just..you know..okay. Then coupled with his penchant for shooting jumpers and not being particularly good at it (which he does by necessity because he's not a particularly strong, quick, skilled, or athletic option), I think he's just an okay option. Not the guy Id want starting at my 5.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2013, 01:11:50 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Small ball lineup so far, don't know if it will be my starting lineup yet.

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Kyle Korver
3. Iman Shumpert
4. Jeff Green
5. Dwight Howard

I think I have a good balance of sound perimeter defense and a group that compliments Rubio and Howard's strengths.
DKC Suns

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2013, 01:15:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Kyle Korver
3. Iman Shumpert
4. Jeff Green
5. Dwight Howard

I think I have a good balance of sound perimeter defense and a group that compliments Rubio and Howard's strengths.

Jeff Green, poor option at the 4.

Although in this lineup, it makes sense (though Shump Id rather play at the 2). Fill out the wings with shooters and defenders, and you'll have a stew goin. It won't be a particularly high-scoring stew, but it'll eat good enough.

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2013, 01:22:49 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kyrie Irving
?
Gallinari
Pau Gasol/Splitter
Splitter/Jonas Valanciunas

Lets have it. Gallo is due back in December.

Scoring and front court play won't be a concern, you'll dominate in these areas.

Kyrie, "yet to be picked", and Gallo are a problem on "D" though.  Gonna need a versatile defender at SG, preferably someone who can defend 1-3.  For all the love big men get for their D, without a proper backcourt D, even the best can be exposed.

I'd have a particular SG in mind that I would really like with this core.  Most people are probably down on him, but his defensive versatility would do wonders for this roster.

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2013, 01:27:42 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
PG: Ty Lawson / [Crawford]
SG: Tony Allen / Jamal Crawford
SF: __________ / [Allen]
PF: Al Horford / Carl Landry
C: Kevin Garnett / [Horford]

Gonna go for a run but I'll comment on anyone who comments on Cleveland.

Absolutely love this team.  Favorite team I've seen of the few teams I've seen so far.  A definite CB Draft contender.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2013, 01:32:04 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Jeff Teague
OJ "I get buckets" Mayo
Jimmy Butler
David West
Tim Duncan

Vet front court with proven toughness. Up in comer at the 3 in Butler. Young athletic backcourt that can score and play defense.

I was building a defensive minded team overall but full of scrappers and guys who can score at will, not just a defensive pillar.

Haven't thought about upcoming picks but I'm thinking more scoring for now.

Good team, I like it.  I don't think you have an immediate need to address more scoring.  TD will give you 14ppg on this team.  David West, Teague, and Mayo are all capable scorers.  This team has better scoring capability in the starting lineup than the current Pacers have, which is a good thing.

Go BPA and value-hunting in trades the rest of the way down I'd suggest.  Because you've got good balance and fits so far.  Maybe the accrued value will help you pull off a big move down the road.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2013, 01:35:11 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
PG- Tony Parker
SG- Eric Gordon
SF- AK47
PF- Kenneth Faried
C- Enes Kanter
Thoughts?

I think TP and Gordon are both good talents, but not a good fit with eachother.  Both play well with the ball in their hands.  Parker is at his best playing pick and roll basketball with a PF/C.  Who is that guy on this team?  I think you should look at working hard to acquire one.

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 01:40:16 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
PG- Rose
SG- Afflalo
SF- Derozan
PF- Griffin
C- Vucevic

We plan on having Afflalo guard the sf's as the elite defender he is. Derozan has great length standing at 6'7 and long arms, and very athletic.

This team is going to contend.  Which means you are going to need to defend Lebron and Durant and maybe Melo.  Who does it?

I agree with Roy that Derozan's offense isn't necessary on this squad.  I'd trade to move him for a SF defender with good size.  Or could afflalo be that guy for you?  Too be honest, I don't know because I haven't seen a lot of him in the last couple season.  But I like afflalo's role as a shooter who doesn't need the ball in his hands and can lock down SGs.  Great fit with Rose.

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Kyle Korver
3. Iman Shumpert
4. Jeff Green
5. Dwight Howard

We're assuming the healthy, motivated Dwight Howard, right?

Rubio is a personal favorite. Korver is the league's top 3 & D wing. Though I'd argue he's more comfortably a small forward? I really appreciate the complementary fit of your players thus far, 1-5. Should be a very tough defensive team, and capable offensively, if reliant on the Rubio and Howard pick-and-roll and the fast break.

Final stakes may depend on Green and Shumpert becoming more consistent scorers? I'm a big fan of both, but both guys tease star potential between stretches of pass-the-buck play and back rim jumpers. They do ace the always important what-have-you-done-for-me-lately test though. Maybe that's enough.

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 01:50:23 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Kyrie Irving
?
Gallinari
Pau Gasol
Splitter/Jonas Valanciunas

Lets have it. Gallo is due back in December.

I deleted splitter from your PF depth chart because I don't think he is one.

Interesting roster, I can't quite imagine it out there without knowing the SG.  You obviously want to go defensive-oriented there since you have a lot of offense.  Even still, I'm having trouble imagining these guys playing together.  I think I like it a lot though.

Your center position is pretty weak.  Splitter was an absolute mess in the finals and can't be on the floor against small ball if Pau is your PF.  I'd think of maybe going with a 4/5 rotation of:

4:  Pau/another true PF
5:  Splitter/Pau

if you can move Valanciunas.  Similar to how the Spurs do it now.

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 01:53:17 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

PG TBD
SG Andre Iguodala
SF Danny Granger/Thaddeus Young
PF Kevin Love/Thaddeus Young
C JaVale McGee

Coach Rick Carlisle

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 01:54:31 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Milwaukee Bucks

Definitely a lot of 3 point shooting.  But you need someone to draw in help defenders in order to free up those spot up shooters.  Paul George can do some of that, maybe your bench can help with that too.

I'd consider this a pretty average defensive team.  Excellent defenders in Conley and George.  Redick is solid, yet not anything more than that.  Anderson is OK.  Okafor... I haven't seen him impress me with his defense in the few times I've watched him over the past few years.

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 02:01:53 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Kyle Korver Iman Shumpert
3. Iman Shumpert Kyle Korver
4. Jeff Green
5. Dwight Howard

Note the changing of positions.  You should list your team that way.

Firstly, I'll say that I think Kyle Korver may be the single worst perimeter defender in the entire NBA.  So, that's hurting your perimeter defense a lot right there.  Rubio is also not a very good defender.  Jeff Green is a good perimeter defender... but he'll be guarding PFs, not SFs on this team.

You have some good talent and good players... but you have to make moves.  I'd advise to get another PF and then slide Green to SF if you really like his perimeter defense.  I think he is actually a very good fit at SF around Dwight.  Korver coming off the bench is a good role for him.  Especially if you could also get a backup PG/SG who is a threat to drive and score.

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Your center position is pretty weak.  Splitter was an absolute mess in the finals and can't be on the floor against small ball if Pau is your PF.

Hm. I disagree with you vehemently, absent Splitter's poor finals. But it wasn't just splitter who played below par during that series, and if you use his starting stats from last season, especially as it went on, he was one of the better centers in the league. A good man defender, decent rebounder, and elite finisher (for the position).

Small ball obviously Gallo slides to the 4, but I don't see the reason to play it much. Jonas and Splitter are both starting caliber 5's, with Jonas poised to make a big jump forward next season.