Author Topic: the new xbox 1  (Read 23792 times)

Re: the new xbox 1
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Another article I found from Gamespot says the owner will do the right thing.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-on-ps4-used-games-we-are-going-to-do-the-right-thing-6404470
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I almost always purchase used games or games that are new but have been out for years.  I am a Playstation person myself and the VP of Sony said that they would do the right thing, though didn't confirm or deny that they would do it.

My bet is that used games may have some limitations, like only one usage for the first three months the game is released and will make exceptions for places like gamefly that rent games, but won't restrict the use of used games for ever.

I'm with you (Playstation guy also), as I only buy used games or games that have been out a while too, then sell them right after I beat them.  Doing it this way, I figured out I basically play games for free or at minimal cost.  Example, I bought Assassins Creed 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum used last fall for about $10 each.  Then sold AC2 for $12 and Batman for $9 after I beat them.  I basically got paid $2 to play Assassins Creed and only had to pay $1 to play Batman.  Good deal for me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:15:23 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I hope Sony won't follow suit with Microsoft...my buddy and I trade a lot of games back and forth so I'm not looking forward to the whole "have to buy to play" rule

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
So bringing 2K15 to my buddies house to play it is now a no go? Lame.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess I am looking better and better with my Wii U...no no, I get it, I have a 360, as well, and really hope they smarten up. I can't handle dealing with three different game manufacturers and I am never giving up Nintendo first party games  :)

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:53 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
So much for the convenient days of "bring your copy of Madden over and we'll play it"

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I almost always purchase used games or games that are new but have been out for years.  I am a Playstation person myself and the VP of Sony said that they would do the right thing, though didn't confirm or deny that they would do it.

My bet is that used games may have some limitations, like only one usage for the first three months the game is released and will make exceptions for places like gamefly that rent games, but won't restrict the use of used games for ever.

I'm with you (Playstation guy also), as I only buy used games or games that have been out a while too, then sell them right after I beat them.  Doing it this way, I figured out I basically play games for free or at minimal cost.  Example, I bought Assassins Creed 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum used last fall for about $10 each.  Then sold AC2 for $12 and Batman for $9 after I beat them.  I basically got paid $2 to play Assassins Creed and only had to pay $1 to play Batman.  Good deal for me.
I see no reason why manufacturers should care about consumers that they don't make money off of. People who only buy used games are not doing anything unethical, but none of the money goes to hardware producers and none of the money goes to game developers. Services like Gamefly are great for gamers, but probably horrible for game producers. Do devs see a cent from GameStop's trade ins?

On the other hand, I would want games to be cheaper if there is no ability to sell back or trade. As it is, console games don't get the great sales that PC games get on Steam.

Perhaps they could consider a one month game rental system for half price.

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I was gonna do a thread on tha Xbox One - not necessarily this topic - but someone beat me to it. Tha last link you posted monkhouse is a couple of months old. In that article though, it says tha analyst consensus is that both PS4 and "Xbox 720" will play used games.

It has long been rumored that the PS4--along with Microsoft's rumored Xbox 720--will block secondhand titles in some fashion. Sony has even applied for a patent related to blocking used games. However, the analyst consensus is that both platforms will play used games.

But according to a recent interview with Phil Harrison (Microsoft VP), not only is tha Xbox One user friendly, we can still play used games with tha next generation console and take games to a friends house to play. Here's tha link.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/phil-harrison-xbox-one/
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 06:09:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Are they still going to go to this "always on" system?

If they are, no purchase.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's not a requirement of the system, but individual games may require an always on connection.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It's not a requirement of the system, but individual games may require an always on connection.

Thats my problem. I remember it was hot on the internet that it would ONLY support always on games. If it is,  then PS4 it is.

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
is anyone else a little upset about the incapability the new xbox will have with used games? basically u install the game to your hard drive and only you and a few in your household can play the game. if a friend borrows it they must buy the game online even if they have the disc! they said they will create a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store, DUMB! I dont do it as often but many gamers buy a game play it beat and in a few months or a year trade it in for a new game or swap with a buddy......I'm not a lover of gamestop but this sux!

here is a link:
http://bgr.com/2013/05/22/xbox-one-used-games-sales-policies/

if this kills gamestop, im all for it. 

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Thats my problem. I remember it was hot on the internet that it would ONLY support always on games. If it is,  then PS4 it is.

Right, but that was a false rumor.  The Xbox 1 will support off-line play, if the game does.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Right, but that was a false rumor.  The Xbox 1 will support off-line play, if the game does.

Thats great. But going back to that "rumor", it wasnt a rumor. A high management guy tweeted something like "xbox=always on, # dealwithit" sparked an outrage.

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 07:33:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Microsoft released a statement saying that lending and selling of used discs will be allowed and offline gaming for extended periods of time will also be allowed.  Seems like they really caved and I am quite happy about it. 

My plan is to wait until February to Purchase read all the reviews on both systems etc. but before this announcement i was 99% sure I was getting a PS4, now the game is wide open again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/19/microsoft-xbox-idUSL2N0EV28S20130619?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologySector&rpc=43
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16