Author Topic: Celtics Still Considering Curry for Rondo - Broussard, Insider  (Read 25623 times)

Re: Celtics Still Considering Curry for Rondo - Broussard, Insider
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2012, 05:41:12 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Currently Rondo is a better player than Steph.

Steph has the tools to be a far better player than rondo though, especially in the right system.

It aint gonna happen though so we may as well nip it in the bud.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Steph has the tools to be a far better player than rondo though, especially in the right system.

Yep.  Instead of playing with a ball-hog shooting guard who chucks 20 shots a night, Curry would be playing with the big 3.  Celtics would be replacing one of the worst shooters in the league with a top 5 shooter in the league.  Our offense would flourish.  Rondo can get assists when playing with three guys who can drop 20 a night efficiently... so can Curry.  Difference is, Curry will be able to spread the floor and make things even easier for the Big 3.  And Curry's 23... he'll fit in with whatever system, because he's an otherworldly shooter.  Even when the BIg 3 are gone, it will not be hard to fit players around him.  It would make sense to eventually just move him to his natural SG position after Ray retires.  

I'm not sure Rondo would be able to get 10 assists playing with Ellis.  He'd pass to Ellis... and then that black hole would create his own shot.  

I'd do the trade in a second.  Warriors aren't going to, though.

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Quickly browsed a Warriors forum and was surprised to see a lot of their fans really liking the Curry/Rondo hypothetical.  They figure they'll lose shooting and gain in every other way.  This might be true.  A couple suggested their franchise was stupid for not taking the trade in December.  I'm mostly just surprised to not find blatant homerism... like when I checked the Indiana forum and saw people saying "Paul George is a phenom... no way would I trade him for Pierce!!" ...

Also for what it's worth, one of the Warrior fans mentioned, "Chris Paul is who we should have traded Curry for... not Rondo" to which another fan said, "But what would we have gotten for Paul in a sign and trade?... cuz he definitely wasn't staying here".  Good point... the Warriors turned down trading Curry for a 1 year rental of Paul.  I guess I should stop using that as my reasoning for why they wouldn't trade Curry for Rondo.

Btw... I'm not a fan of mix videos because they only show shots made.  But since Curry makes 48% of his shots (45% of his threes), I'll make an exception.  I almost got all teary-eyed imagining what it would be like to add this guy's shooting to our team.  He's like a 23 year old Ray Allen.  Instead of teams just backing 5 feet off Rondo, they would HAVE to pay attention to Curry at all times.  What would that do for the big 3 and their spacing?  How can teams cover two Ray Allens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMu8DkDDCYc

Btw part 2:  Seems the only way this trade could happen would be for the Warriors to also include Biedrins.  As much as he's stunk, he'd still start over JO's corpse so I'm ok with it.  Worst-case, Biedrins would be a poor man's Perk here.  We're desperate for a capable center.  If we actually could pull off that trade, I'd have to totally rethink my "blow it up!!" desperation.  It would be very, VERY interesting to see how Curry (and Biedrins, frankly) fit in.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:31:17 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Yep.  Instead of playing with a ball-hog shooting guard who chucks 20 shots a night, Curry would be playing with the big 3.  Celtics would be replacing one of the worst shooters in the league with a top 5 shooter in the league.  Our offense would flourish.  Rondo can get assists when playing with three guys who can drop 20 a night efficiently... so can Curry.  Difference is, Curry will be able to spread the floor and make things even easier for the Big 3.  And Curry's 23... he'll fit in with whatever system, because he's an otherworldly shooter.  Even when the BIg 3 are gone, it will not be hard to fit players around him.  It would make sense to eventually just move him to his natural SG position after Ray retires.  

I'm not sure Rondo would be able to get 10 assists playing with Ellis.  He'd pass to Ellis... and then that black hole would create his own shot.  

Curry is a better shooter but...

He has ankle issues now, sprained the same ankle 3 times. What's to say that he won't sprain it again and miss more games.

He's not a better defender than Rondo.

He does give us what we need which is shooting. His court vision is good and he handles well. He's not Rondo when attacking the basket, but he has a good enough first step and a true PG mentality to pass the ball out to the wing for an open shot. And he can take over the offense on any given night.

Rondo is not a shooter, on a team that loves to shoot outside, he might not fit.

Rondo will THRIVE with the Warriors though. Monta is not as black hole as Jefferson is, he's a chucker alright but 5 assist per game proves otherwise that he's a willing passer. Rondo will fit with him just fine because Monta can run around the floor and you can get him open looks and he's dangerous when he gets open looks. He can shoot or fake defenders and beat him off the dribble. Also, if you look at the Warriors roster, that's full of shooters. Rush, Thompson, Monta, Dorell, even David Lee and Udoh can step out around 18 feet and hit shots. Biedrins might be overpaid but he knows where to position himself under the basket and will have a frenzy of drop passes to him if Rondo is running point. Pick and roll with this team and Rondo would be dangerous. Plus Monta and Rondo running the break.

My point is this trade works well for both teams. It will take more than just Curry alone to make it happen though. I believe Rondo is still the better player, and I'm against trading Rondo but on certain deals. This is one of them.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2012, 07:12:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
maybe these Rondo threads will go away.

I doubt it, some here just don't like his attitude or game.  I like it and think Rondo would be a better player with runnings guys.

If it does go down at least Curry is young.   His ankles are a concern.  I'd rather see us trade for young guys than old guys like Gasol.   My thinking is that our window has closed so start getting assets again and the like.

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Curry is a better shooter but...

He has ankle issues now, sprained the same ankle 3 times. What's to say that he won't sprain it again and miss more games.

He's not a better defender than Rondo.

He does give us what we need which is shooting. His court vision is good and he handles well. He's not Rondo when attacking the basket, but he has a good enough first step and a true PG mentality to pass the ball out to the wing for an open shot. And he can take over the offense on any given night.

Rondo is not a shooter, on a team that loves to shoot outside, he might not fit.

Rondo will THRIVE with the Warriors though. Monta is not as black hole as Jefferson is, he's a chucker alright but 5 assist per game proves otherwise that he's a willing passer. Rondo will fit with him just fine because Monta can run around the floor and you can get him open looks and he's dangerous when he gets open looks. He can shoot or fake defenders and beat him off the dribble. Also, if you look at the Warriors roster, that's full of shooters. Rush, Thompson, Monta, Dorell, even David Lee and Udoh can step out around 18 feet and hit shots. Biedrins might be overpaid but he knows where to position himself under the basket and will have a frenzy of drop passes to him if Rondo is running point. Pick and roll with this team and Rondo would be dangerous. Plus Monta and Rondo running the break.

My point is this trade works well for both teams. It will take more than just Curry alone to make it happen though. I believe Rondo is still the better player, and I'm against trading Rondo but on certain deals. This is one of them.
I'm not worried about some sprained ankles.  When Ray Allen was 27 he was traded to the Sonics and everyone in Seattle had a flipping heart attack.  Ray was coming off ankle surgery.  Supposedly he was playing with pins in his ankles and at any moment his career would be over.  Didn't take long for Seattle to fall in love with Ray.   Payton was toast within 2 years.  Ray's still chugging along on those miracle ankles at the age of 36.

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I wish rondo played like he did last night more often. Oviously don't expect him to average a trip double every game but prob at least 4 of those boards he stole from other guys or got it tipped by another player.

In any case he initiated the offense pretty well and scored when the defense stopped focusing on him.

The thing with Rondo is that I've seen him be pretty phenomenal in the playoffs where he plays like one if the best players in the league- then he'll go through stretches in the season where id rather have devin harris playing.

I just don't know what's up with him. Is he not that good? Does he not try as hard as he could? Is he lazy? Does he only care about the playoffs? There's just no rhyme or reason for the huge disparity in his play

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Quickly browsed a Warriors forum and was surprised to see a lot of their fans really liking the Curry/Rondo hypothetical.  They figure they'll lose shooting and gain in every other way.  This might be true.  A couple suggested their franchise was stupid for not taking the trade in December.  I'm mostly just surprised to not find blatant homerism... like when I checked the Indiana forum and saw people saying "Paul George is a phenom... no way would I trade him for Pierce!!" ...

Also for what it's worth, one of the Warrior fans mentioned, "Chris Paul is who we should have traded Curry for... not Rondo" to which another fan said, "But what would we have gotten for Paul in a sign and trade?... cuz he definitely wasn't staying here".  Good point... the Warriors turned down trading Curry for a 1 year rental of Paul.  I guess I should stop using that as my reasoning for why they wouldn't trade Curry for Rondo.

Btw... I'm not a fan of mix videos because they only show shots made.  But since Curry makes 48% of his shots (45% of his threes), I'll make an exception.  I almost got all teary-eyed imagining what it would be like to add this guy's shooting to our team.  He's like a 23 year old Ray Allen.  Instead of teams just backing 5 feet off Rondo, they would HAVE to pay attention to Curry at all times.  What would that do for the big 3 and their spacing?  How can teams cover two Ray Allens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMu8DkDDCYc

Btw part 2:  Seems the only way this trade could happen would be for the Warriors to also include Biedrins.  As much as he's stunk, he'd still start over JO's corpse so I'm ok with it.  Worst-case, Biedrins would be a poor man's Perk here.  We're desperate for a capable center.  If we actually could pull off that trade, I'd have to totally rethink my "blow it up!!" desperation.  It would be very, VERY interesting to see how Curry (and Biedrins, frankly) fit in.

I agree with Indiana fans--21yo Paul George does have too much potential to trade for high-salaried, 34yo Paul Pierce.

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
The thing with Rondo is that I've seen him be pretty phenomenal in the playoffs where he plays like one if the best players in the league- then he'll go through stretches in the season where id rather have devin harris playing.

Everyone goes through some bad game streches, Paul Pierce has the bad games right now, Ray Allen a few games ago, it's normal.

Rondos bad games are usually against below average point guards, chip on the shoulder effect. The good part is that nearly every team has a quality PG, there aren't that many"bad/aweful" games to expect.

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You're right that Curry is a better shooter than Rondo. But Rondo's better at defense, rebounding, passing, directing an offense, controlling the pace of the game and getting to the hoop. Those things all matter too, believe it or not. Oh, and it's not 2008 anymore, Rondo isn't playing with three people who can score 20 a night efficiently, he's playing with three people who used to be able to do that.

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Additionally...I hate to pile on Rondo here, but something else that I thought of:

What IF this "Doc VS Rondo" thing is true? Then imagine the picture that AB, E'Twuan and JJ are seeing....A young, Top 5 PG, perhaps top 15 talent in the NBA - bucking Doc Rivers.

Over time? What kind of effect would that have on impressionable rookies?

Of course I'm going off of ESPN and pure speculation here, but that's a worst-case scenario for me.

Another reason why a trade of Rondo is imminent, to me.

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Curry has one asset that Rondo will never have.  His head is screwed on straight. He is coachable and has the same deadly shot that has kept Ray Allen in the NBA all these years.

When Ray retires ...Curry is the man to take his place .  A true pure shooter. Ray would be a great player /coach to develop Curry more.

Your point guard is your quarterback ...if anybody has to bring his "A" game everynight and everyminute on the court it has to be the point guard.  Rondo ...has issues ..maybe he is bipolar , at the least he is  "WILD" and out of control at times in the game he needs to be steady not a showoff.

I think it is "EASIER" to deal with a head case at forward say , Cousins , than at you point guard spot.  

Head case at the point is bad, no matter how good he he can be at times.  Maybe this has PP 's tail all in knot.

I say get Curry for our Shooting guard , with Ray as backup , and find another very good point guard (or draft one ) to run the "O" with AB.

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I wish rondo played like he did last night more often. Oviously don't expect him to average a trip double every game but prob at least 4 of those boards he stole from other guys or got it tipped by another player.

In other words he grabbed some of the rebounds our opponents have been getting.

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd probably do Curry and Biedrins for Rondo, though I'm not sure Golden State would do that without also wanting Bass (which works as well - though that is a harder pill to swallow).  I would definitely need big time medicals for both Curry and Biedrins before doing the trade though as both have had a lot of injury issues (of course Rondo isn't exactly a picture of health either).  I just looked and Biedrins is only 25, but he has been hurt a lot.  If he can get healthy, I think he can go back to the Biedrins of old (the double double guy), but I have no idea if he can get healthy again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:22 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd probably do Curry and Biedrins for Rondo, though I'm not sure Golden State would do that without also wanting Bass (which works as well - though that is a harder pill to swallow).  I would definitely need big time medicals for both Curry and Biedrins before doing the trade though as both have had a lot of injury issues (of course Rondo isn't exactly a picture of health either).  I just looked and Biedrins is only 25, but he has been hurt a lot.  If he can get healthy, I think he can go back to the Biedrins of old (the double double guy), but I have no idea if he can get healthy again.

Beans' problems is not really injuries, but confidence. I don't know why but after that 2008 breakout season when he averaged a double double in rebounds and points and being efficient he just went down south fast. Beans can run the floor on on certain nights play good defense. This is pretty much the offer as GSW would need to match salaries anyway. The gamble is to take Beans is his confidence, or lack there of, and that 9 million dollar contract for 3 more years. 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace