Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 128557 times)

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #240 on: July 11, 2022, 08:14:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Australia apparently lifted restrictions, so he might be able to play there if lawyers do something about the three-year ban

« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2022, 09:05:40 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Forgot about the ban. That whole thing was such a mess.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2022, 09:10:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Yeah the ban was always stupid because the only reason Novak went to the country was because government officials told him he could.  Just happened to be the wrong government officials.  Australia really looked bad in that whole situation. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2022, 11:00:51 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Yeah the ban was always stupid because the only reason Novak went to the country was because government officials told him he could.  Just happened to be the wrong government officials.  Australia really looked bad in that whole situation.

I don’t think the Australian government handled it particularly well, but let’s be honest… Neither did Novak. Falsifying documents in an attempt to obtain a vaccination exemption, stating that he had Covid several weeks prior to the tournament and having pictures on his social media of him attending public events on those dates while allegedly having the virus. Believe he later admitted that he didn’t immediately quarantine once he found out that he had Covid. It was a big mess all around.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:09:15 AM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2022, 05:56:51 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I don’t think the Australian government handled it particularly well, but let’s be honest… Neither did Novak. Falsifying documents in an attempt to obtain a vaccination exemption, stating that he had Covid several weeks prior to the tournament and having pictures on his social media of him attending public events on those dates while allegedly having the virus. Believe he later admitted that he didn’t immediately quarantine once he found out that he had Covid. It was a big mess all around.
I don't think he falsified anything. I think he did actually have a positive test. He had no symptoms and it may have been a false positive, but I do believe he had a test that said positive on it.

« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2022, 06:02:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't think he falsified anything. I think he did actually have a positive test. He had no symptoms and it may have been a false positive, but I do believe he had a test that said positive on it.
After all, Novak is famous for his integrity and being an ethical guy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

It was a PCR test, those are sent out, so a lab would have had to fudge the data, not just Novak.  It could happen, I just don't think that is all that likely. 

« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2022, 10:01:46 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

It was a PCR test, those are sent out, so a lab would have had to fudge the data, not just Novak.  It could happen, I just don't think that is all that likely.

“Djokovic admits travel document contained false information.”

https://news.yahoo.com/djokovic-admits-travel-document-contained-130030520.html

« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2022, 11:05:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

“Djokovic admits travel document contained false information.”

https://news.yahoo.com/djokovic-admits-travel-document-contained-130030520.html
I wasn't clear enough in my statement, I meant the false information as to the test.  He clearly misstated some of his travel after testing positive.

Tennis Thread
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Serena Williams has announced she will "evolve away from tennis" after the US Open.  So the arguable female GOAT will be retiring this year.

Re: Tennis Thread
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2022, 01:23:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
And it looks like Ajla Tomljanovic sent Serena Williams to the retirement party yesterday.

What a remarkable career with 23 Grand Slam single titles, four gold medals, with about an 85% career record, etc...arguably up there with players like Jordan, Brady, Woods, etc. Hats off to Serena.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2022, 03:06:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
And it looks like Ajla Tomljanovic sent Serena Williams to the retirement party yesterday.

What a remarkable career with 23 Grand Slam single titles, four gold medals, with about an 85% career record, etc...arguably up there with players like Jordan, Brady, Woods, etc. Hats off to Serena.

Yes, amazing career. Glad she’s out of the tournament early though.  I realized again how much I dislike watching tennis.  Can’t follow the ball. I was watching reluctantly.

« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2022, 10:59:33 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Serena looked much better in the last match from a movement standpoint. It didn’t seem like she took her conditioning serious enough leading up to her comeback and if she did, think Serena would have had a real shot at winning the US Open and tying Margaret Court for the most Majors of all time.

On the Mens side, it will be interesting to see If Rafa can tie Serena for majors with his 23rd which would give him three more than Roger and 2 more than Novak.

« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2022, 10:26:37 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Nick Kyrgios just beat the #1 player in the world, Daniil Medvedev at the US Open. Immediately following the victory, he takes off his tennis shoes, puts on a pair of Jordans and (most importantly) a Celtics hat before having his on court post-match interview.  8)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:48:45 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2022, 10:27:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Tiafoe followed up the Nadal upset by beating Rublev in straight sets and is the 1st American male to reach the Semis at the US Open since 2006.  That was Roddick who lost to Federer in the semis.  Roddick was the last US male to win a grand slam doing so at the 2003 US Open.  It has been awhile for the US to actually have a male tennis player playing at an elite level. 

Tiafoe will play the winner of the match happening right now between #3 Carlos Alcaraz and #11 Jannik Sinner.

He definitely has the personality to be a genuine star and his back story is a solid one with his parents emigrating from Sierre Leone during their civil war in the 90's.  After coming here and ending up in Maryland, Frances dad helped build a junior tennis center and then worked there as a maintenance worker, which led Frances and his twin brother Franklin to fall in love with the game (I don't think Franklin plays professionally anymore, though he used to).