Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 128900 times)

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Novak is running into some trouble for his quest for the calendar slam and most majors of all time. He’s playing a 20 year old American who took the first set 6-1. Djokovic is leading in the second. Incredible match on ESPN
won the 2nd set 6-3 and is leading 5-1 in the 3rd.  Seems like the trouble is probably averted.

Indeed. The wheels fell off fast after that first set. If that 20 year old American develops a serve, though.... watch out. He was very impressive.

I’m taking the field over Novak at this point. He has Berratteni next and than most likely Zverev, who has been playing lights out since winning gold at the Olympics. Medvedev has it much easier on the other half of the draw. I’m anticipating a Zverev/Medvedev final, with Medvedev winning.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2021, 10:16:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Berrettini just broke Djokovic at 5-5 in the 1st set.  So serving for the 1 set lead.  Berrettini is the 6th seed who made the Finals at Wimbledon this year, so not a young upstart.  That said he won the 1st set at Wimbledon against Djokovic in the Final before Novak won the last 3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2021, 12:08:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Seems like Novak likes to lose the 1st set before he settles in.  He won the 2nd and 3rd at 6-2 each. 

And it is really weird to see a guy going for the Grand Slam not have the crowd behind him when playing against a random non-American player.  I mean I'd get the crowd supporting an American or someone like Federer or Nadal, who are both extremely popular, but to see the crowd supporting Berrettini is just strange to me.

Assuming Novak doesn't choke this away, he will face the man that entering the tournament would have the best odds to beat him (and maybe the only one that realistically could), in 4th seeded Zverev.  Zverez beat him at the Olympics, so should be an interesting match.

« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2021, 12:13:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Seems like Novak likes to lose the 1st set before he settles in.  He won the 2nd and 3rd at 6-2 each. 

And it is really weird to see a guy going for the Grand Slam not have the crowd behind him when playing against a random non-American player.  I mean I'd get the crowd supporting an American or someone like Federer or Nadal, who are both extremely popular, but to see the crowd supporting Berrettini is just strange to me.

Assuming Novak doesn't choke this away, he will face the man that entering the tournament would have the best odds to beat him (and maybe the only one that realistically could), in 4th seeded Zverev.  Zverez beat him at the Olympics, so should be an interesting match.

Well, there are many Italians/Italian-Americans in New York, so that can be part of it... though in general Novak has a lot of love-hate around.

« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2021, 10:43:04 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Well, there are many Italians/Italian-Americans in New York, so that can be part of it... though in general Novak has a lot of love-hate around.

Exactly. Berrettini, has a good personality too. Novak does not, that and his on/off the court antics is the reason for the lack of support from the crowd/fans. Im rooting for the field.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:19:19 AM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2021, 01:00:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Exactly. Berrettini, has a good personality too. Novak does not, that and his on/off the court antics is the reason for the lack of support from the crowd/fans. Im rooting for the field.
If I don't have a rooting interest, I generally root for history to be made.  So I hope he pulls it out and gets the Grand Slam.  No man has done that in my lifetime, so that would be cool.  It is the same reason I loved seeing the Triple Crown.  I wasn't quite born when Affirmed won it so for American Pharoah to finally break through a few years back was awesome, especially as so many had come close and failed.

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Incredible match between Djokovic and Zverev on ESPN. Looks like it will be a 5 setter.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 10:34:45 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2021, 10:39:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
2-0 Novak in 5th

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
 3-0, and 30-30 on Alex serve.  Feels like Alex ran out of gas winning the 4th.

« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2021, 10:45:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
 Yep. No gas left as Novak breaks again. Serving up 4 to 0. Novak will play Medvedev again.

« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2021, 11:02:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yep. No gas left as Novak breaks again. Serving up 4 to 0. Novak will play Medvedev again.

Yeah, Novak's stamina seems unrivaled.  It's probably why he is less dominant at the Olympics; it's easier for opponents to stay with him over three sets than it is five.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2021, 11:05:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Zverev is still alive... barely, though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:10:47 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
2 teenagers playing for women's title right now

« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2021, 07:01:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I was rooting for Emma Raducanu, glad that she won as she was being overshadowed by Fernandez (with reason) arriving to the Finals, but the 3 or 4 matches I had seen of her she had impressed me.

In all it was cool match, plenty of great rallies... the result doesn't do justice to how competitive every single game was. Fernandez struggled a lot with her first serve, and I think that played a lot into why she lost, but Emma was very much deserving and in all it was a great tournament to watch.

Tomorrow, history will be made once again...hopefully.

« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2021, 11:44:18 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I was rooting for Emma Raducanu, glad that she won as she was being overshadowed by Fernandez (with reason) arriving to the Finals, but the 3 or 4 matches I had seen of her she had impressed me.

In all it was cool match, plenty of great rallies... the result doesn't do justice to how competitive every single game was. Fernandez struggled a lot with her first serve, and I think that played a lot into why she lost, but Emma was very much deserving and in all it was a great tournament to watch.

Tomorrow, history will be made once again...hopefully.

I was rooting for Leylah Fernandez. Her path to the final was much more difficult and that’s why Emma was overshadowed. She beat Osaka(arguably the most dominant player in womens tennis), Kerber, who won the US open a few years back, Svetlina top 5 player and Sabalenka who is the #2 ranked player in the world.

Many of Fernandez’s matches went 3 sets and I think that is why her serve was off in the final. Tired legs.the match was very competitive as you had mentioned.  I was hoping that Leylah would win, I saw her play Kerber live last Sunday in NY and she’s a really exciting young player. Happy for Emma, too. She had an incredible run and didn’t drop a set the whole tournament, which is unreal. Future of women’s tennis is bright.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 11:49:20 AM by Goldstar88 »