Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 129054 times)

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
You have to be an amazing athlete to succeed at tennis. Much respect to them, but my Lord do I find it to be a boring sport and extremely difficult to watch.

It can be boring, but that depends entirely on the matchup. Some of the big servers, like Isner, who hit the ball 140mph on their first serve and have 2-3 hit rallies are not fun to watch at all.

Try to tune in for the quarters or Semi’s of Wimbledon or another major tournament. Watch Federer, Nadal and Djokovic play against each other or some of the other top 10 players in the world. It’s a different game.

You have to be an amazing athlete to succeed at tennis. Much respect to them, but my Lord do I find it to be a boring sport and extremely difficult to watch.

Women's tennis is often better to watch for that reason.

Women’s tennis has been good. I’ve really enjoyed watching Coco Gauff.  it’s incredible how good she is at 17 years old. I saw her play live at the US open 2 years ago and I wouldn’t  be at all surprised if she wins a major While still in her teens. Ash Barty is another player that’s fun to watch.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:12:25 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
No surprise, Novak won and picked up his 20th grand slam title tying Federer and Nadal and is still on pace for winning the calendar year slam and breaking the tie
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No surprise, Novak won and picked up his 20th grand slam title tying Federer and Nadal and is still on pace for winning the calendar year slam and breaking the tie

The calendar slam plus a gold medal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2021, 06:29:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This is like if Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano all fought in the same 20ish year period. Ludicrous concentration of winning
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2021, 06:45:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He said today he was now only 50 50 on if he was going to do the Olympics

« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2021, 07:08:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I get it.  It’s not a typical tournament, there’s no financial incentive, he could use the rest, the Covid protocols are in place and seem ridiculously restrictive.

Still, I hope he does it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2021, 09:02:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

The calendar slam plus a gold medal= The Calendar Golden Slam. Steffi Graf is the only player to have ever won this.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2021, 11:59:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yeah... he’s full of it. There is no way he passes up the opportunity to do something that no one else in men’s tennis has ever done.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:38:49 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah... he’s full of it. There is no way he passes up the opportunity to do something that no one else in men’s tennis has ever done.
I don't know about that.  He can't take his full team with him, including his stringer which when he talked was clearly a big deal for him.  He will basically be isolated and can't even go watch other events.  It sounds like 2 weeks of basically quarantine with all the added stress of that.  I'm sure he'd love the Gold Medal, but there is no guarantee he wins it and it will make his US Open more difficult so I get why he has some hesitation.  When he said he was going earlier this summer it didn't look like they were going to be nearly this restrictive in the covid stuff.

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2021, 11:06:11 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I don't know about that.  He can't take his full team with him, including his stringer which when he talked was clearly a big deal for him.  He will basically be isolated and can't even go watch other events.  It sounds like 2 weeks of basically quarantine with all the added stress of that.  I'm sure he'd love the Gold Medal, but there is no guarantee he wins it and it will make his US Open more difficult so I get why he has some hesitation.  When he said he was going earlier this summer it didn't look like they were going to be nearly this restrictive in the covid stuff.

We shall see, but I would be very surprised if he didn’t go. Olympics end Aug 6th and the US open starts Aug 30th. That’s plenty of time for him to recover, plus the Olympic matches are best of 3, not 5, so it’s not going to be as taxing on his body.

« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2021, 07:56:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Novak Djokovic tweets that he is in for Tokyo Olympics

After Djokovic won Wimbledon on Sunday for his record-tying 20th career Grand Slam title, he said he didn't know whether he was going to play in Tokyo.

If the top-ranked Djokovic wins gold in men's singles and at the US Open, he would become the first male tennis player to complete a "Golden Slam" -- all four Grand Slam tournaments and the Olympics in the same calendar year.

Steffi Graf is the only woman to have done it, in 1988.

While Djokovic is headed for Tokyo, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem and Nick Kyrgios are among the top men's players who won't be competing in the Olympics.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31824066/novak-djokovic-posts-for-tokyo-olympics

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2021, 08:48:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No Golden Slam as Novak loses.  Hopefully he still gets the US Open and this Japan trip doesn't derail that.

« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
No Golden Slam as Novak loses.  Hopefully he still gets the US Open and this Japan trip doesn't derail that.

Bummer. 

« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Wow, I’m shocked. Who did he lose to?

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2021, 10:09:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Wow, I’m shocked. Who did he lose to?
Alexander Zverev of Germany. It was in the semis, so he can take the bronze still.  He can also take the bronze in mixed doubles.