Author Topic: Women's world cup  (Read 21547 times)

Re: Women's world cup
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 08:02:08 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
i say, "boo!"

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Definitely a major choke. That first goal that the USA gave away was pathetic, that ball should have been cleared multiple times, the PK's were beyond pathetic, you have to perform better than that. I hope Wambach returns she is by far the best player they have.

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
great win by japan. they did work hard for the victory and deserved it. to make the contest a "US loss" detracts from what the japanese women did against a very talented and taller US team.

good game. :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
great win by japan. they did work hard for the victory and deserved it. to make the contest a "US loss" detracts from what the japanese women did against a very talented and taller US team.

It does, but on the same token the U.S. should have had about 5 goals in the first half.  They missed plenty of point blank shots that just shouldn't be missed at that level.  I had a sinking feeling in my gut that they would regret all those missed goals and they did.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 10:47:06 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

That was a choke job of epic proportions.

If you don't think it's possible to say a team choked because it detracts from the other team winning then I understand but otherwise the US women should be pretty embarrassed about losing that game.

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It does, but on the same token the U.S. should have had about 5 goals in the first half.  They missed plenty of point blank shots that just shouldn't be missed at that level.  I had a sinking feeling in my gut that they would regret all those missed goals and they did.
They had three times the good scoring chances japan did but couldn't get enough of them home to win, and they also defended terribly late.

It was a bad loss by the USA, I just can't see it any other way.

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
The fact that the US women played less than their best game does not detract from the Japanese victory.  Given the US strengths, and the fact that they had the lead, they could have won anyway.  The Japanese ladies kept their composure and focus (the difference in the  final results) against a favored team which had more size, experience and talent.  No mean feat!   
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They had three times the good scoring chances japan did but couldn't get enough of them home to win, and they also defended terribly late.

It was a bad loss by the USA, I just can't see it any other way.

The US did everything but put the ball in their own net.

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:17 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Despite US having a number of good scoring opportunities the shots still came under pressure--excellent marking defense by Japan.  The final goal, by Japan, in stoppage time, was the nicest goal of the game.  Also don't forget the blown offside call that would have given Japan a breakaway.

Possibly most important was that the Japanese coach had his team loose, smiling, light, going into the shootout.  US was as tight and nervous as could be--maybe coaching psychology at the end was the real difference--but in IMO shootouts aren't much better than a coin toss, game should go on with a golden goal after the 30 minutes OT, shootouts just suck.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I was very happy for that Japanese squad who clearly played the prettiest football of the tournament throughout, particularly in their brilliant victories over Germany and Sweden.

The US roughed them up a little in the first half and didn't allow the kind of ball control that they had grown accustomed to, but the Japanese ladies won on heart and a never give up attitude.  Good for them, and an excellent showing overall by the Americans. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Japan to me was the best team in the tourney and deserved to win it.
I watched a number of games and was a bit shocked at the amount of poor/sloppy play from many teams and players.  If that is to be the top level of women's soccer it was at times pretty tough to watch.