Author Topic: "Pick 2 Draft" 2011 Discussion Thread  (Read 121041 times)

Re: "Pick 2 Draft" 2011 Discussion Thread
« Reply #615 on: January 30, 2011, 12:54:01 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I'm sure everyone has a 'plan' to be great.

I wouldn't say that.  Honestly, aside from a lucky trade, I have no idea how I'm going to turn Atlanta into a better team than they are in reality. 

The 'Pick Two' phase of this was tough for Atlanta.  The Hawks have three very good players, but all three are very flawed at the same time.  I dropped Josh Smith because I think he's the most replaceable at this point in time, but I'm never sure when he's going to 'get it' one offseason and return as the player he has the talent to become. 

Now I'm building around a questionable #1 option and a center who I compare to Perk with a bit more offense in terms of his impact on the game - a good piece, to be sure, but not when he's the second best player on the team.  Couple that with late picks in every round, and I'm looking at an uphill battle to turn Atlanta back into a contender.

« Reply #616 on: January 30, 2011, 01:15:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm sure everyone has a 'plan' to be great.

I wouldn't say that.  Honestly, aside from a lucky trade, I have no idea how I'm going to turn Atlanta into a better team than they are in reality. 

The 'Pick Two' phase of this was tough for Atlanta.  The Hawks have three very good players, but all three are very flawed at the same time.  I dropped Josh Smith because I think he's the most replaceable at this point in time, but I'm never sure when he's going to 'get it' one offseason and return as the player he has the talent to become. 

Now I'm building around a questionable #1 option and a center who I compare to Perk with a bit more offense in terms of his impact on the game - a good piece, to be sure, but not when he's the second best player on the team.  Couple that with late picks in every round, and I'm looking at an uphill battle to turn Atlanta back into a contender.

Atlanta is hard, but remember their biggest weakness is at the point.

A player as good as say Devin Harris would drastically improve this squad. I agree with you dropping Josh Smith, but look at the best PF's and C's available, and you have the luxury of picking either one and playing Horford at the other spot.

Josh Smith might in a nutshell be Atlanta's biggest strength and their biggest weakness. He's at heart a tweener...an athletic, super talented tweener. Some of their best lineups this season featured Smith at the 3, not the 4 where he's historically been, and Horford at the 4.

So really while your draft spot isn't ideal, you've got some real opportunities to change the dynamic in Atlanta.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #617 on: January 30, 2011, 01:47:37 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

A player as good as say Devin Harris would drastically improve this squad. I agree with you dropping Josh Smith, but look at the best PF's and C's available, and you have the luxury of picking either one and playing Horford at the other spot.

Josh Smith might in a nutshell be Atlanta's biggest strength and their biggest weakness. He's at heart a tweener...an athletic, super talented tweener. Some of their best lineups this season featured Smith at the 3, not the 4 where he's historically been, and Horford at the 4.

So really while your draft spot isn't ideal, you've got some real opportunities to change the dynamic in Atlanta.

I appreciate the insight - TP. 

I was definitely thinking that a good point guard is my first priority, unless a very good center happens to drop to me - I'd like to move Horford to the 4, where I think he would be even more of an impact player than he is now (particularly on offense). 

Also, I'd like to put it out to all interested parties that I am open to discussing deals for any and all of my keepers and picks.

« Reply #618 on: January 30, 2011, 03:38:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I appreciate the insight - TP. 

I was definitely thinking that a good point guard is my first priority, unless a very good center happens to drop to me - I'd like to move Horford to the 4, where I think he would be even more of an impact player than he is now (particularly on offense). 

Also, I'd like to put it out to all interested parties that I am open to discussing deals for any and all of my keepers and picks.

You know who would be awesome next to Horford @ the 4?

Mehmet Okur.

« Reply #619 on: January 30, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Atlanta do not need a star player at the point guard position. They just need someone serviceable.

Joe Johnson is a terrific passer/playmaker who opens up a multitude of options for Atlanta in picking their point guard. There are some hugely enticing options available here.

The biggest drawback to losing Josh Smith is going to be the loss defensively. There are only a few power forwards who can replace him ... but if that option is unavailable, just move Al Horford to the four and slot in a center at the five. Horford's versatility allows you to pick PFs or Cs, effectively doubling the amount of choices available to you.

Joe Johnson and Al Horford create such an interesting dynamic ... Atlanta is a terrific team to build around.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:05:07 AM by Who »

« Reply #620 on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Would anyone be able to pick for me tomorrow? Not sure if I'll be available at 10.

« Reply #621 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would anyone be able to pick for me tomorrow? Not sure if I'll be available at 10.

Sure thing.

Now you wanted Scali to be picked even higher then last year, right?

« Reply #622 on: January 30, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Sure thing.

Cherokee Parks

« Reply #623 on: January 30, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Sure thing.

Cherokee Parks

Who owns his rights?  Why don't we here his name come up in draft talks?

But clearly, Sac is going for the pieces needed to rescue Melo from Denver.

« Reply #624 on: January 30, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
Why couldn't you make your pick right now?
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #625 on: January 30, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Why couldn't you make your pick right now?

I'll be there SO, you can have my sword.

« Reply #626 on: January 30, 2011, 12:18:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Now, is this like the NFL draft?

Can the team with the 1st pick start negotiating with the player they plan to pick before they pick them?

« Reply #627 on: January 30, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Now, is this like the NFL draft?

Can the team with the 1st pick start negotiating with the player they plan to pick before they pick them?

I hope so - I'm flying in from Russia just to speak with Cherokee.

« Reply #628 on: January 31, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing how the first round unfolds, and how people's teams end up looking. Let the trade winds blow . . .
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #629 on: January 31, 2011, 01:36:59 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Suns got a bit unlucky in this draft. Nash and Carter as keepers to go with the 13th pick in the first round...seems a little harsh.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi