Author Topic: I will never look at Greg Dickerson the same now  (Read 18925 times)

Re: I will never look at Greg Dickerson the same now
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 05:40:39 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I love Greg Dickerson, but tonight on Mohegan Suns Sports Tonight Dickerson said he hates soccer.

I will never look at him the same now.

#1- This is a Celtics blog.
#2- I absolutely agree with him. Soccer is excruciatingly boring!  Perhaps if the offside rules were totally eliminated it might be worth watching.

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
First of all, lets get this straight.. It's not called soccer, it's football! ;)

I can most certainly understand why many who have not grown up with the game or never played it at an organized level don't "get it". I think it's somewhat comparable to baseball in the sense - if you've played it you love it - at least that's how I perceive it from an outsiders angle here in Denmark.

If you watch the game with the same expectations of a basketball game, meaning a game packed with explosive moves, impressive shots and a lot of highlights, you're naturally going to be disappointed.

I personally think the beauty of "soccer" lies in the tactical approach of the opposing teams, how they react to eachothers moves and such. And if you have absolutely no insight when watching the sport, and just want to be entertained, I think "soccer" in most cases won't deliver.

Also Dybdal.. What! Cycling is awesome!

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »

Offline Kenhov

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 17
Like the previous poster pointed out there are serious differences in sporting culture that lead to the lack of understanding of football.

And yes...thats where it starts. That a population has actually convinced itself the the dominant sport in the world, and the sport which actually uses the feet to control a ball for the extent of the game...should relinquish the name football to a sport which has a quarter of the global appeal at best, and where the players use the hands to carry the ball for the majority of the game...well thats where the problems start.

By all means use American football, to signify its origins and derivative, but there is no way that football is more accurate a description for gridiron than for what it really is.

The next issue is the scoring. American sports, with baseball as an oddity, are highly dependent on constant scoring. Football relies on an appreciation of the flow of the game and the nuances of what is happening throughout the game. That is why there is little or no advertising in football, and yet in American sports like basketball and football you can join and rejoin the game at any point.

A basketball shot miss is an event in thousands. A football miss can make replay for years.  Thats because the score isnt the focus.

The other difference is that there is little or no amateur history preceding most American sports. With football most countries has strong historical amateur leagues which graduate to professional leagues who themselves have immense history. WHen a player comes through the system say at Liverpool or Barcelona or Bayern or Boca, it usually means that they came from school all the way through the under 15's to getting a pro contract with the same team.

The fans have greater investiture with the players. This means they track more than winning and losing. They also track how people develop. Which is why Fabregas going back to Barcelona is such a big deal to Barca fans because he was developed by their youth system and many fans still track him.

The whole football experience is difficult to describe. Its about the scarves, the singing of club chants, the trip to the game with hundreds and thousands of other fans who you see at every other game. Its about the match programme (collectibles), and about the ultras or the away section of the fans who are the one comfort to the team when they travel (ANYWHERE).

Doesnt mean I love the Celts less though. Great team, great sport.

But its football ok ? :-)

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Greg's my guy. He's from the same town as me and he's doing work for my favorite sports team. Gotta love that.

And if he doesn't like soccer, that's fine. He's allowed to have his own opinion as an individual. I'm not exactly fond of it, myself.

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
So since that time if I was ever offered the opportunity to try something, I did, and I found that many of the sports that I would have written off as "boring" or stupid or just not for me, were in fact a heckuvalot of fun when I actually gave them a chance. I obviously have my favorites, but there is usually something enjoyable to be found in most every sport there is.

I don't know, I think that's different though.  I think just about any sport is fun to play (especially if you're a competitive person), but watching that same sport is completely different.  I played soccer in high school, still think it's completely boring to watch.  And I know lots of guys that love to play basketball and baseball, but hate watching it.

Soccer is only fun to watch when this happens  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxHzLF2qqnE

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 09:37:19 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
First of all, lets get this straight.. It's not called soccer, it's football! ;)

I can most certainly understand why many who have not grown up with the game or never played it at an organized level don't "get it". I think it's somewhat comparable to baseball in the sense - if you've played it you love it - at least that's how I perceive it from an outsiders angle here in Denmark.

If you watch the game with the same expectations of a basketball game, meaning a game packed with explosive moves, impressive shots and a lot of highlights, you're naturally going to be disappointed.

I personally think the beauty of "soccer" lies in the tactical approach of the opposing teams, how they react to eachothers moves and such. And if you have absolutely no insight when watching the sport, and just want to be entertained, I think "soccer" in most cases won't deliver.

Also Dybdal.. What! Cycling is awesome!

Great point about nuance and baseball comparison.  I've turned many-a-foreigner into baseball fans by shoving baseball nuance down there throats.....a baseball nuance crash course to be precise.  "you see those hand signals and tobacco-spitting....and the woman in the background chewing her friend's elbow because she's so nervous....something big's about to happen!"  And finally, after much rule-explaining and projecting all my tension onto them, Wala!  They get it!  They're hooked!.

Of course, every sport has games that are duds.  Nothing happens.  No tension.  No beauty.  Error filled.  Fouls and bad calls, etc....For example the Brazil Holland game had no flow for most of the game.  But if someone (non Argentine) can't appreciate the Germany Argentina game, or the Ghana Uruguay game (saddest World Cup exit), I don't know what to say.....

Baseball is a very dramatic sport once it's understood.  Amazing things happen in baseball.  It's like an exciting novel filled with plot twists.  That's baseball's strength.  Soccer has fewer turning points than baseball (lead changes, story inversions), but one thing I appreciate about soccer is that goals really do merit screaming goooaaaaal! due to how hard it is to score.  A goal in soccer, especially in important games...is an incredibly emotional event.

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 09:50:06 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I think a big thing for me is, being a basketball person, I hate the attention other sports get.  So it's easy to hate soccer right now, cuz I'm jealous of the attention it got over the NBA Finals/NBA draft.

I hate how the world (including the U.S.) goes crazy over the World Cup, but the basketball World Championship nobody seems to care about.

I hate the passion I see when two fans discuss soccer, compared to how I see two fans discuss basketball.

I hate how people like Michael Phelps and other track and field type sports seem to get all the attention at the Olympics, and basketball is treated like an afterthought.

I hate how the U.S. shuts down for the Super Bowl, but the NBA Finals seems like it's just something else to watch instead of summer re-runs.

I hate how the NFL draft is a 3 day event, but the NBA gets 3 hours.

I hate the attention college football/bowls/BCS gets, compared to things like men's basketball. (Although I'm glad to say the first weekend of the NCAA tournament does get the attention it deserves though).

I hate how if I watch Sportscenter on a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday in November or December, I'll see 55 minutes of college football and NFL coverage, and if I'm lucky 5 minutes of basketball highlights/news.

I hate how people call NBA players thugs, but seem to be much less harsh of NFL players.

I hate how pitchers and catchers reporting, gets more attention than the NBA All-Star game and trade deadline.

I hate the national attention I see for MLB spring training games and NFL pre-season games, compared to what seems like no coverage for NBA pre-season games.

I hate that the number of people who play fantasy baseball and football compares to the number of people who play fantasy basketball at the same rate kids  played Nintendo or Sega vs kids who played with a Neo-Geo, TurboGrafx, or Atari Jaguar.

So right now I hate soccer because I'm jealous.

If it was just like hockey where nobody south of Canada paid attention to it then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

(Obviously some of these are an exaggeration, but the mere perception adds to the hate.)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I love Greg Dickerson, but tonight on Mohegan Suns Sports Tonight Dickerson said he hates soccer.

I will never look at him the same now.

#1- This is a Celtics blog.
#2- I absolutely agree with him. Soccer is excruciatingly boring!  Perhaps if the offside rules were totally eliminated it might be worth watching.

Greg Dickerson is the Celtics sideline reporter so it does have to do with the Celtics.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Greg's my guy. He's from the same town as me and he's doing work for my favorite sports team. Gotta love that.

And if he doesn't like soccer, that's fine. He's allowed to have his own opinion as an individual. I'm not exactly fond of it, myself.

I love Greg that's why I was shocked to hear he didn't like soccer. 

THIS THREAD WAS NOT MEANT TO BE SERIOUS!

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Oh... In that case: I'm secretly a Laker Lover!

;)

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
If soccer is boring, than baseball can't be considered a sport. Do they even sweat?
If soccer is boring, than American Football is waste of time. A study found that the actual game has 11 Minutes of Action. Meaning 3 1/2 hours of nothing but commercials and replays. Exciting, is it not?

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123

Secondly, I did not know that we could say "arse" here and get away with it! .... Arse!

Ahem .. arse!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Oh... In that case: I'm secretly a Laker Lover!

;)

ACF that is a little over the line, even with a wink!  I feel like taking a TP away from you for that lol.  Never even say that again jokingly lol kind of.

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 02:28:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Seriously, can't you have a series of kicks at the goal from everyone ? How can you end it in a tie? It's like they purposely want to make it boring. I think a smaller field would better showcase thes guys athleticism. They could even add boards on the side and they could kick the ball off the boards!Soccer fans must laugh at these ideas. But I think if you did this stuff and you had a contact sport with some scoring it would be successful. People would care about their local soccer team. I'd absolutely watch a league like that.Make it what we would consider one of the FIVE major sports !

Actually, you are not so far off. About 15-20 years ago, there was a soccer league that had a much smaller field, boards along the sides (so it could only be out of bounds if you kicked it way over the boards), and get this- goals were worth two points and three points (a three point line). Scores were often in the 40s and it was actually exciting. I used to watch the games late at night on NESN (I think). I haven't seen it for years, though. I don't understand how the league didn't make it, but it was the only interesting soccer I have ever watched.

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Sorry, Mike. I would rather eat poop than ever don anything purple and gold. Better? B-)