Author Topic: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?  (Read 57962 times)

liam, SparzWizard, Amonkey, RodyTur10 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?
« Reply #915 on: Today at 01:02:29 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Guess the naysayers idiots will come out and say it was a mistake trading away Timelord and Smart for KP and Jrue.
Corrected that for you.

I’m an idiot, but I’d rather have Smart over Jrue straight up. Smart elevates his play in the playoffs, is a lot cheaper, and several years younger.

But I get why we had to make the deal for Porzingis the way we did. It just really sucks that the Clippers pulled out of the original deal. We’d have Smart, TL, and our 2029 pick.

Porzingis in place of Brogdon is a fine trade off imo - even with the inconsistencies. Hopefully he evaluates what he needs to improve upon and bounces back next game and beyond.
I never thought I'd say this but I kind of miss having Smart to take some of the last second shots.  As bad as some of those shots seemed at the time, he was more reliable than Tatum iso's, which never seem to get us points when we really need them.  Smart made us less predictable and he elevated his game in crunch time.

« Reply #916 on: Today at 01:18:30 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Yeah, the two big off season acquisitions failed us in game 2.  Holiday wasn't very good, Porzingis was worse.  He played worse than you would expect from Kornet.  I still think that you have to make the trade of Smart for Porzingis.  We barely have enough size as it is.  We would be severely limited if we had another guard instead of Porzingis.

The discussion on Holiday vs. Smart is different.  It is a hypothetical to debate if we would be better off with Smart over Holiday, while still having Porzingis, as that scenario didn't happen.  It wasn't a real option.  It almost was, but it wasn't.  It isn't a real trade that you can consider undoing.  I have been saying all season that Holiday has not been much better than Brogdon was last season (that is a real trade you can debate undoing).  That isn't to say Holiday has been bad.  He has been solid.  But how much have we really benefited from that trade?  I would say only a little, and most of that is due to Brogdon's injuries.

I suspect that both these guys bounce back and have good games in MIA.  I know it sounds crazy, but I would consider starting Horford and bringing Porzingis off the bench.  Just for one game.  Just to throw a curveball at MIA.  Still keep the same rotations in general, but just flip the script a little at the start of the game (Horford defends the perimeter much better).  Hopefully jump out to a lead, force MIA to call that first Time Out, then put Porzingis right in to negate any adjustment they would try to put in.

« Reply #917 on: Today at 01:25:14 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Yeah, the two big off season acquisitions failed us in game 2.  Holiday wasn't very good, Porzingis was worse.  He played worse than you would expect from Kornet.  I still think that you have to make the trade of Smart for Porzingis.  We barely have enough size as it is.  We would be severely limited if we had another guard instead of Porzingis.

The discussion on Holiday vs. Smart is different.  It is a hypothetical to debate if we would be better off with Smart over Holiday, while still having Porzingis, as that scenario didn't happen.  It wasn't a real option.  It almost was, but it wasn't.  It isn't a real trade that you can consider undoing.  I have been saying all season that Holiday has not been much better than Brogdon was last season (that is a real trade you can debate undoing).  That isn't to say Holiday has been bad.  He has been solid.  But how much have we really benefited from that trade?  I would say only a little, and most of that is due to Brogdon's injuries.

I suspect that both these guys bounce back and have good games in MIA.  I know it sounds crazy, but I would consider starting Horford and bringing Porzingis off the bench.  Just for one game.  Just to throw a curveball at MIA.  Still keep the same rotations in general, but just flip the script a little at the start of the game (Horford defends the perimeter much better).  Hopefully jump out to a lead, force MIA to call that first Time Out, then put Porzingis right in to negate any adjustment they would try to put in.

I would love to see Queta get some run with 5 shooters on the floor. He is a monster and Miami has no one who could keep him off the glass. He can also set some bone crushing picks.