Author Topic: Fords updated "10 names to be traded" list.  (Read 24458 times)

Re: Fords updated "10 names to be traded" list.
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Grizzlies has to luckiest franchise in the league. They got screwed big time by the lakers, but lucky them Marc Gasol who wasn't NBA material then somehow morphed into a legit NBA starting Center. OJ Mayo was gift wrapped by the Timber-Wolves no offense to Kevin Love. Rudy Gay was passed by Toronto Raptors for (Andrea Bargnani), Charlotte Bobcats for (Adam Morrison), Chicago Bulls for (Tyrus Thomas), Atlanta Hawks for (Shelden Williams), and Minnesota Timber-wolves for (Randy Foye). Zach Randolph was supposed to be 'Cancer', and now he is the leader of the team. Maybe it wasn't luck, it was doing of Chris Wallace.  ;D

I would hope no offense to Love.

Love is the better NBA player.

Kevin Love isn't even the best PF on his team. Kevin Love is nice player, but in the long run he isn't worth trading OJ Mayo for.

The second best big man on a team averaging 15 and 12.  Worth more then a SG that can average 18 points. 

This is T-Wolves starting lineup without Love

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

A lot more balance from that lineup than the current one. And yes in the long run, OJ Mayo will have a better career than Kevin Love

Except it is easier to find a starting SG then another starting big man. 

Not necessarily. Love and Al play the same position. Don't you think its redundant? When they already have a hole at SG.

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Grizzlies has to luckiest franchise in the league. They got screwed big time by the lakers, but lucky them Marc Gasol who wasn't NBA material then somehow morphed into a legit NBA starting Center. OJ Mayo was gift wrapped by the Timber-Wolves no offense to Kevin Love. Rudy Gay was passed by Toronto Raptors for (Andrea Bargnani), Charlotte Bobcats for (Adam Morrison), Chicago Bulls for (Tyrus Thomas), Atlanta Hawks for (Shelden Williams), and Minnesota Timber-wolves for (Randy Foye). Zach Randolph was supposed to be 'Cancer', and now he is the leader of the team. Maybe it wasn't luck, it was doing of Chris Wallace.  ;D

Kevin Love isn't even the best PF on his team. Kevin Love is nice player, but in the long run he isn't worth trading OJ Mayo for.

The second best big man on a team averaging 15 and 12.  Worth more then a SG that can average 18 points. 

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

A lot more balance from that lineup than the current one. And yes in the long run, OJ Mayo will have a better career than Kevin Love

Not necessarily. Love and Al play the same position. Don't you think its redundant? When they already have a hole at SG.

Two guys that can average double doubles?  At worst, they have to trade a young double double team.  Not a terrible issue to have.

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I have him ranked ahead of Ray right now.  I think Mayo could be somewhere in between Redd and Joe Johnson, with better ballhandling.

He reminds me a lot of a young Ray, but with less range.
Only with less passing ability, rebounding ability, less athleticism and less scoring ability.

I just don't see what you guys are seeing in OJ Mayo. He does so little for his team outside of scoring (defense, rebounding, passing) and he's not that good of a scorer either. Not prolific (18ppg) or overly efficient (TS% of 54.8%). He's a solid scorer, a nice third option type of threat.

I don't see a star level impact from Mayo during games or mass potential when I watch him play. Too one-dimensional (only above average in his scoring ability). Not enough elsewhere.

He's doing what's asked of him. It's hard to rack assist playing off the ball so much. I don't think it'd be easy for any off guard to rack more than 3 boards playing with a front court of Randolph, Gasol, and Gay. Lastly, 18 ppg on 54% shooting is pretty good considering he's the 3rd option on offense. 

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

Two guys that can average double doubles?  At worst, they have to trade a young double double team.  Not a terrible issue to have.

So it is redundant. T-wolves are now forced to trade one of them, when they could have just kept Mayo. It's easier to build around Big Al and Mayo. I would love for C's to get K-love.

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

So it is redundant. T-wolves are now forced to trade one of them, when they could have just kept Mayo. It's easier to build around Big Al and Mayo. I would love for C's to get K-love.

No.

As well as getting Love, they got Miller.  Now they might have done something dumb with Miller, but the original trade was good.

How good could Memphis be with Love and Gasol down low and the cap space the Randolph takes up?  They could not be worrying about having to have money to resign Gay.  Instead of drafting Thabeet, they could of grabbed Tyreke Evans.

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I have him ranked ahead of Ray right now.  I think Mayo could be somewhere in between Redd and Joe Johnson, with better ballhandling.

He reminds me a lot of a young Ray, but with less range.
Only with less passing ability, rebounding ability, less athleticism and less scoring ability.

I just don't see what you guys are seeing in OJ Mayo. He does so little for his team outside of scoring (defense, rebounding, passing) and he's not that good of a scorer either. Not prolific (18ppg) or overly efficient (TS% of 54.8%). He's a solid scorer, a nice third option type of threat.

I don't see a star level impact from Mayo during games or mass potential when I watch him play. Too one-dimensional (only above average in his scoring ability). Not enough elsewhere.

He's doing what's asked of him. It's hard to rack assist playing off the ball so much. I don't think it'd be easy for any off guard to rack more than 3 boards playing with a front court of Randolph, Gasol, and Gay. Lastly, 18 ppg on 54% shooting is pretty good considering he's the 3rd option on offense. 
In the previous season, OJ Mayo was allowed to dominate the basketball and his scoring (18ppg on 54% TS%) + assist numbers (3.2apg) were comparable to his current figures. He also played on a team that was out-rebounded on the season and his rebounding numbers (3.8rpg) were the same. While playing the same amount of minutes.

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

No.

As well as getting Love, they got Miller.  Now they might have done something dumb with Miller, but the original trade was good.

How good could Memphis be with Love and Gasol down low and the cap space the Randolph takes up?  They could not be worrying about having to have money to resign Gay.  Instead of drafting Thabeet, they could of grabbed Tyreke Evans.

Except they wouldn't have Zach Randolph now, and he's been the biggest reason for this turnaround.

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

No.

Except they wouldn't have Zach Randolph now, and he's been the biggest reason for this turnaround.

So be it.  They would be a better team going forward with Love and Evans. 

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

No.

The team with issues is Minnesota TimberWolves not the Memphis Grizzlies. Rudy Gay is doing whats best for him business wise. And at the end of the day, Memphis Grizzlies can match any offer. Picking Hasheem Thabeet was a mistake. But that doesn't involve OJ Mayo.

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

PG. Flynn
SG. Mayo
SF. Brewer
PF. Al
C. ?

No.

I think you overrate Love and and I'm not sure  how well Evans functions with 4 legitimate 20 point threats along side of him.

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No.

I think you overrate Love and and I'm not sure  how well Evans functions with 4 legitimate 20 point threats along side of him.

Love is averaging 15 and 12.  How many NBA players are doing that right now? 

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think Love is a much better player than Mayo (and the gap tends to widen) and a better player than Al Jefferson. Excellent rebounder, excellent passer, very good and versatile scorer, decent defender. He may never be a superstar, but will deliver loads of wins for his team.

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

No.

How many starting fours are AS defensively challenged as Love?

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

The team with issues is Minnesota TimberWolves not the Memphis Grizzlies. Rudy Gay is doing whats best for him business wise. And at the end of the day, Memphis Grizzlies can match any offer. Picking Hasheem Thabeet was a mistake. But that doesn't involve OJ Mayo.

True. Kahn was literally trying to wipe the slate clean after taking over, rather than thoughtfully assessing the roster.  Mike Miller and Foye would've been really, really good in a triangle offense.  That trade made no sense.  A Foye/Brewer/Miller/Al/Love lineup would work with that offense, though Al/Love might not be a great pair for that style.  Not sure why he blew that up, other than to keep McHale from getting any future credit for anything that ends up working out.

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No.

How many starting fours are AS defensively challenged as Love?

http://www.82games.com/0910/09MIN10.HTM

The team is better defensively with Love on the court.

While not a great defender, he is improving.

compare
http://www.82games.com/0809/08MIN13.HTM

and comparable to Mayo

http://www.82games.com/0910/09MEM5.HTM