Author Topic: Arenas and Crittenton draw guns over a debt  (Read 25405 times)

Re: Arenas and Crittenton draw guns over a debt
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
My only question is why is Arenas still playing?  Shouldn't he be suspended pending an investigation?  This is the same league that will fine the crap out of a player or a coach whenever they say something about the ref, but you can't suspend a guy, or at the very least, give an initial fine for something that he has admitted doing?

This just shows what we already know about the NBA and Stern, that it's a joke and we are the punch line.

The NBA waits until the legal issues are resolved, then they nail the players.

The question is why doesn't the Wiz suspend Gilbert with pay to "take care of his legal issues"?

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
My only question is why is Arenas still playing?  Shouldn't he be suspended pending an investigation?  This is the same league that will fine the crap out of a player or a coach whenever they say something about the ref, but you can't suspend a guy, or at the very least, give an initial fine for something that he has admitted doing?

This just shows what we already know about the NBA and Stern, that it's a joke and we are the punch line.

The question is why doesn't the Wiz suspend Gilbert with pay to "take care of his legal issues"?

From what I've read they may not wait as it's now forbidden to bring firearms to the team's facilities or to any team related events. They could always re-suspend him based on the legal outcome.

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

From what I've read they may not wait as it's now forbidden to bring firearms to the team's facilities or to any team related events. They could always re-suspend him based on the legal outcome.

I would imagine so.  I think they worry that if they suspend without pay and the charges prove to be false (or unprovable), they have just opened themselves up to a law suit.

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I would imagine so.  I think they worry that if they suspend without pay and the charges prove to be false (or unprovable), they have just opened themselves up to a law suit.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the thinking, although it hasn't stopped other league's from suspending players in the past.  I'm surprised there hasn't been any sort of indefinite suspension, but that's just not how the NBA does things, I guess.

Delonte hasn't been suspended yet, right?  I'm curious to see if Stern now comes down harder on him since gun issues in the NBA are getting such major press.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I thought it was in the CBA that players couldn't bring firearms into team facilities or carry them to league sponsored or related business. Hasn't Arenas already admittedly violated this tenet of the collective bargaining agreement and hence, isn't he open for a suspension already, without the guns investigation results?

I don't understand the delay. What is the delay for, to figure out the extent of the suspension?

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I thought it was in the CBA that players couldn't bring firearms into team facilities or carry them to league sponsored or related business. Hasn't Arenas already admittedly violated this tenet of the collective bargaining agreement and hence, isn't he open for a suspension already, without the guns investigation results?

I don't understand the delay. What is the delay for, to figure out the extent of the suspension?

Sure, Stern can act now.  However, his past precedent with gun crimes has been fairly lenient; Telfair got 3 games, I think, and Arenas got 1 previously.  I'm thinking that if Stern wants to come down hard, he'll want to see the legal process play out a little more.

However, I hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to see the league suspend Arenas for the season and have the Wiz attempt to void his contract.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Sure, Stern can act now.  However, his past precedent with gun crimes has been fairly lenient; Telfair got 3 games, I think, and Arenas got 1 previously.  I'm thinking that if Stern wants to come down hard, he'll want to see the legal process play out a little more.

However, I hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to see the league suspend Arenas for the season and have the Wiz attempt to void his contract.
But isn't this the first time anyone has brought guns into a locker room. Arenas and Telfair had them on planes and such. This was at a team facility, a team locker room. He admits to taking out three guns in a locker room, laying them down and telling Javaris to choose one to end their argument. In a locker room!!!

For me, that's a lot different than carry a gun on a plane.

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

But isn't this the first time anyone has brought guns into a locker room. Arenas and Telfair had them on planes and such. This was at a team facility, a team locker room. He admits to taking out three guns in a locker room, laying them down and telling Javaris to choose one to end their argument. In a locker room!!!

Eh, I'm not going to argue because I prefer the Goodell strategy.  However, it appears Stern doesn't operate that way, and he may be attempting to not antagonize the union with a new CBA negotiation looming in the near future.  On the other hand, he may be on the verge of announcing a suspension, and is playing things close to the vest.

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Eh, I'm not going to argue because I prefer the Goodell strategy.  However, it appears Stern doesn't operate that way, and he may be attempting to not antagonize the union with a new CBA negotiation looming in the near future.  On the other hand, he may be on the verge of announcing a suspension, and is playing things close to the vest.
That's the thing with Stern. You never know. Recently with football and baseball, something happens and you almost can predict a day after the incident what the reactions from the commissioner and league offices are going to be. Stern, not so much.

I do think you bring up an excellent point with the CBA negotiations coming up Stern could be hedging to come up with a strategy to have something to hold over the heads of the NBAPA.