Author Topic: The Sox are officially after Adrian Gonzalez  (Read 41521 times)

The Sox are officially after Adrian Gonzalez
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Most of us have speculated about this, but here's the report:

The Red Sox are not done yet.

The team, set to announce the signings of free-agent right-hander John Lackey and center fielder Mike Cameron, is working hard to obtain Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, according to major-league sources.

A deal is not close, and might not happen at all, sources said. Jed Hoyer, the Padres’ new general manager -- and Red Sox’s former assistant GM -- wants a high price for Gonzalez, whose contract is one of the biggest bargains in baseball.

"Jed has been asking for a ton," one source said.

Gonzalez, 27, is signed for $4.75 million next season with a $5.5 million club option for 2011. He hit 40 home runs last season despite playing his home games at pitcher-friendly Petco Park.

. . .

The Padres would be tempted to move Gonzalez if they could get Buchholz and Ellsbury in the same deal, sources say. However, the Red Sox would be very reluctant to include both, according to another source.

Minor-league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland is another potential Padres target. Minor-league pitcher Casey Kelly is believed to be untouchable.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/red-sox-take-aim-at-adrian-gonzalez

I'm not sure why the Padres would trade him unless we absolutely paid through the nose, but it's worth discussing.  If there was some deal involving prospects + Ellsbury to be made, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: The Sox are officially after Adrian Gonzalez
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:18:34 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I still don't get what's "in it" for the Padres to trade Gonzalez this season, and I don't blame Hoyer for asking for the kitchen sink.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I still don't get what's "in it" for the Padres to trade Gonzalez this season, and I don't blame Hoyer for asking for the kitchen sink.

Yeah, that's the hangup.  Why would the Padres trade the centerpiece of their offense and a guy who is cost-controlled for two years unless they're getting absolutely blown away?

If they'll take a mediocre package, though, I'd love it.  Gonzalez >>>> Beltre, regardless of defense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think if the Sox have to give up Buchholz, Westmoreland, Anderson and Tazawa, they have to do it. Now whether that's enough for their former AGM to bite is not known. I guess if anyone knows which players are Hoyer's favs it would be Theo.

As far as I am concerned, if the Sox want to make a real push at the World Series next year, they have to do this deal and if it means giving up Kelly and resigning Beckett to big bucks next year, when maybe they would otherwise not have re-signed Beckett to big bucks because of Kelly, then they have to include him.

Remember, Michael Bowden and Lars Anderson were considered untouchable as early as just last year for Anderson. He was going to mature and grow into his body and become this huge power hitter. Well 119 games, 9 HRs and a .233 average later and suddenly Anderson can be included in any deal necessary to get talent. Kelly could fizzle just as quick.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I just really don't want them to trade Ellsbury.  The Sox have never had a guy like him in my lifetime and I enjoy watching him play here.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Bye bye Buchholz (among others).

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Bye bye Buchholz (among others).

Yup, don't the let the door hit you on the buttocks.  I just hope Theo & Co. value Ellsbury as much as I do.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's gonna take a mighty price to snare Gonzalez from the Padres.  I have no problem giving up Buchholz OR Ellsbury but very hesitant to give up both along with the top minor league talent.

Gonzalez is definitely a talent that I'd like to see on the Sox.  Its scary to envision what potential numbers he could put up in Fenway. 

I think this is going to be a hard one to pull off, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Gonzalez is awesome.  He'd give us what we missed out on when Texiera went to the Yanks.  That said, i wouldn't give up both Ellsbury and Buchholz either.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Why not do what the Phillies did....

Trade Beckett for prospects, then roll prospects into the trade to Padres....this way they still have a good pitcher (Bucholtz) under their "control" and are better off than risking losing Beckett in 20101-11 to free agency

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:42 AM »

Offline irish_celtic_fan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 23
So, hear me out.  I think the Sox are making a push for the 2010 World Series.  The Cameron and Lackey signings don't make a whole lot of sense unless there's more to come.

The Mike Cameron signing makes Ellsbury a little more expendable.

The Lackey and (hopefully) Chapman signings would make Bucholz more expendable.

So, move Bucholz and Ellsbury to San Diego for Adrian Gonzalez, move Cameron to center, and go out there and get Matt Holliday for left.  The spending would be up around 170 million dollars for the upcoming year, but if we have the assets, we should use them to make a run for the next title.

Rotation:  Lackey, Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Wakefield
Lineup:  Pedroia, Youk, Adrian Gonzalez, Martinez, Holliday, J.D. Drew, Ortiz, Cameron, Scutaro

There is no question that that team would go far.  It's amazing what money can do.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I would love to add Gonzalez but not for Bucholz and Ellsbury. I really don't want to lose Ellsbury, he should be a part of this team for a long time.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I would love to add Gonzalez but not for Bucholz and Ellsbury. I really don't want to lose Ellsbury, he should be a part of this team for a long time.

Your completely right, i have a feeling that this year Jacoby is going to really cut down on his strike outs. That along with his speed on the bases will finally make him a 100 run guy, and one of the leagues best lead off guys.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Preaching to the choir with me.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
So, hear me out.  I think the Sox are making a push for the 2010 World Series.  The Cameron and Lackey signings don't make a whole lot of sense unless there's more to come.

The Mike Cameron signing makes Ellsbury a little more expendable.

The Lackey and (hopefully) Chapman signings would make Bucholz more expendable.

So, move Bucholz and Ellsbury to San Diego for Adrian Gonzalez, move Cameron to center, and go out there and get Matt Holliday for left.  The spending would be up around 170 million dollars for the upcoming year, but if we have the assets, we should use them to make a run for the next title.

Rotation:  Lackey, Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Wakefield
Lineup:  Pedroia, Youk, Adrian Gonzalez, Martinez, Holliday, J.D. Drew, Ortiz, Cameron, Scutaro

There is no question that that team would go far.  It's amazing what money can do.

...and then I wake up when my alarm clock goes off.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers