Author Topic: 2009 World Series: Yankees vs Phillies  (Read 29494 times)

Re: 2009 World Series: Yankees vs Phillies
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Celtics still have a better championship winning percentage and they do it with a salary cap and luxury tax and MLEs and LLEs and Bird Rights and veteran minimums and all those fun things.

Celtics are the best franchise in sports.  Yankees are not.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »

Offline Dwnflfan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Celtics still have a better championship winning percentage and they do it with a salary cap and luxury tax and MLEs and LLEs and Bird Rights and veteran minimums and all those fun things.

I love the Celts but 15 of 17 titles occurred before any of the salary restrictions you mentioned.  9 of the 17 came in years the NBA consisted of 8 teams which means the title was roughly the equivalent of an AL pennant of which the Yankees have 40.

Attempting to compare any North American professional sports franchise's championship resume against the Yankees is a losing proposition.  It says a lot about the C's that their resume is such that you have to analyze it a bit before determining that they're 2nd or 3rd best.

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I love the Celts but 15 of 17 titles occurred before any of the salary restrictions you mentioned.  9 of the 17 came in years the NBA consisted of 8 teams which means the title was roughly the equivalent of an AL pennant of which the Yankees have 40.

Attempting to compare any North American professional sports franchise's championship resume against the Yankees is a losing proposition.  It says a lot about the C's that their resume is such that you have to analyze it a bit before determining that they're 2nd or 3rd best.

If we're looking to bleed the Celtics championships down based on them being ancient history, we can also look at the Yankees winning 12 of their 27 titles from 1923-1949 (1949 being the year the NBA started).  The Celts didn't win their first until 1959 - by which time the Yankees had banked another 6 World Series titles.  So in the last 50 years, the Celts have 17 titles, and the Yanks a mere 9!

Yup