Author Topic: 2008 CB Draft, Best Picks by Round  (Read 20197 times)

Re: 2008 CB Draft, Best Picks by Round
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2009, 07:38:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
It's hard to pick losers in the later rounds since there are so many projects and question marks here, and usually there is no clear cut loser.  Except for when we get to round #8.  Battling off the likes of Gerald Green and Tony Allen is never easy, but zerophase was able to outshine them all!  With his 8th round pick he selected Patrick O'Bryant.  8)

Honorable Mention I would say for Alonzo Mourning, but in the 8th round and beyond I'd say it's was worth the risk of drafting someone who might not even play.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am brave.

P.s. Why i never get the best pick. >:(
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
P.S. Why i never get the best pick. >:(

No, but you do get an Honorable Mention and a Worst Pick in:

Round 8

Best Pick: Still plenty of talent left on the board in Round 8. But by my count only one likely starter in '09-'10. Meaning that this may be the Walker Wiggle’s first nod?! (6) Anthony Randolph. I think so, but I might be biased.

Honorable Mentions: You may prefer any one of these three: Lucky17 has long been borderline starter and jack of all trades, Thabo Sefolosha’s #1 fan, so it’s fitting he spent the (1) pick on him. It’s an uphill climb in the Lig for guards under 6’, but Rondo2287 found a keeper in (17) D.J. Augustin; and we’re all familiar with the strides KC at the Stripe’s (2) Glen Davis made in the Celtics’ playoff run. Also, DinoRadjaLives (16) Ronny Turiaf and Edgar (27) Zaza Pachulia both deserve credit for drafting two of the league’s best reserve big men.

Worst Pick: It’s been suggested by gentleman and scholar, bdm860, that GMs shouldn’t be roundly criticized for taking calculated risks in the late rounds. But rightly or wrongly, I soldier on. Unfocused, long on potential, athletes didn’t pan out in Round 8, ask Redz (5) Marcus Williams, Big Al The Future (11) Gerald Green, and zerophase (14) Patrick O’Bryant. (Kedrick Brown anyone?) And it’s my humble opinion that Edgar actually made a high-risk low-reward bet two rounds too soon on retiree (10) Alonzo Mourning, making him the winner of this round’s worst pick.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:15:44 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Thabo has to get the nod here. He's a player that only got better, averaging almost 11 ppg when he got starters minutes on a new team.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I agree he is a stud backup for where he was picked im just saying, going back through it look at the 11th round. 

able to pick out 3 players that were good and did something this year. 

So for 27 teams last year, that round didnt matter that much.

An invitation to get a bit out of order and skip ahead to

Round 11

Best Pick: Rondo2287 turns his nose up at Round 11? Is he right? Well, two '07-'08 starters taken, meaning you may not be able to make up for a 1st round mistake, but you can still cover your ass for a bad 5th round pick. (Hope springs eternal!) Best pick? Zerophase’s (17) Marquis Daniels will likely never play 82 games but was Indiana’s best swing defender and produced across the board, 13.6 PPG 4.6 RPG 2.1 APG 1.1 SPG.  Meanwhile, Bring Back Antoine’s rookie, (9) Mario Chalmers edged out the “competition” in Miami to start all 82 for the Heat, 10.0 PPG 4.9 APG 2.0 SPG.

Honorable mentions: Toronto may not rate the following very highly on their big board but we do: KC at the Stripe (29) Daequan Cook, one of the league’s top 3PT threats, and winner of the '09 3-point contest; New Orleans' (23) Bobby Simmons reinvigorated his career after injuries and a slow start in the swamps; Lakers’ pick (14) Mike James was handed the reigns on a decimated Washington team and made the best of bad situation. Proving the Chalmers pick wasn’t a fluke, Bring Back Antoine took the BPA point guard twice in one round, (20) George Hill; and Big Al The Future’s rookie (13) DeAndre Jordan proved he’s further along than many GMs (real and fake alike) believed.

Worst Pick: Maybe Rondo2287 simply doesn’t want to return to the scene of the crime. He did after all take the round’s only draftee to fall out of the league because of his attitude, poor work ethic and off court issues, (11) Smush Parker. Although plenty of GMs were looking for salary savings in this round: Evantime34 (3) Robert Horry; SW (4) Shareef Abdur-Rahim; New Orleans (24) Michael Doleac.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:37:00 PM by The Walker Wiggle »