Author Topic: At this pace what will it take to sign bay to an extension?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Epstein approach to see how bay does in a full season as a redsox instead of signing him seemed like the right move at the time but it is looking more and more like a mistake. There is still a great chance to sign him up to a longer term deal but it has gotten a little bit more expensive and could keep adding.

Bay could have easily been signed up for 10 million dollars a season but now is approaching closer to the 14-15 million mark. I don't know what really sets him apart from drew who already gets 15 million a year and is often injured.

So i think it could be epstein worthwhile to try to present a package sooner than later because i don't think bay is slowing down. 290-300 avg, 30 dingers and 110 + rbi's are not out of the question and instead of losing him for peanuts epstein should offer him a 4 to 5 year 12 million per year deal pronto

I really didn't think our offense would be sufficient without at least signing texeira but bay is looking ultra good, has been a consistant performer all his life and makes our lineup really potent (imagine life without him)

Your opinions on how much it will take to sign bay to an extension and how he will do in the long term with us

Re: At this pace what will it take to sign bay to an extension?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I agree that it should have been done in the offseason.  There was no reason to think that he wouldn't have the season that he is having so far.  He is a hard worker and the kind of guy that would be very consistent.

His price tag is going up by the day, it would be a good idea to sign him as soon as possible, but I think this is going to be an offseason story after this year.  In the end I think he will be a Red Sox next year, he is happy finally being with a contending team.  He has the demeanor to deal with the crazed Sox fans and media. I think waiting the year to sign him will end up costing the Sox 7-8 million dollars.

It would be a travesty if they don't sign him after this year.  He is a great player and a great guy to have in your clubhouse.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:31:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Basically, just photocopy Drew's contract.  Bay will be a better investment.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:39:02 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
  There was no reason to think that he wouldn't have the season that he is having so far. 

Really? You saw production like this coming? He's OPSing almost .200 points over his career average. He's on pace to hit nearly 50 homeruns, while his career high previously was 35.

I hope he keeps this pace up, but I think that there's every reason to think that he won't.

Unless the Sox lock him up at some point this season, you have to figure the Yankees will be in the running for Bay this winter (unless they choose to sign Holliday).

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Personally I think he will regress a little.  I see him hitting about 35 homeruns, 110-120 RBIs and hitting 300.  I believe he's on pace for like 45 homeruns now, I'd be very surprised if he stuck with that.  Though to resign him, it is going to take some money, I see it being about 13-15 mil a year, prob 5 years.  Should be interesting to see how those negotiations go.
do it