Author Topic: Giddens carries Flash to the D-League Finals  (Read 82994 times)

Re: Giddens carries Flash to the D-League Finals
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think some of you guys are forgetting giddens was picked up by kentucky after high school and not fresno st. Out of high school he was a blue chip prospect

Even though he was co mvp in his league after kentucky i'm sure that hurt his development to play in a league he was too good to play in

i see the dleague not as good as the nba but on par with college style basketball if not better from what i'm seen on tv

giddens needed the experience and will make the team and big a pretty big contributer next year especially if ray allen is not resigned.

Even though enthuthiasm sometimes can be mistaken for clumsyness and forgetting the small things on the court, i rather have that than getting a player big patrick obryant attitude any day.

Giddens will be good

I think you mean Kansas and New Mexico, not Kentucky and Fresno State.

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
I think some of you guys are forgetting giddens was picked up by kentucky after high school and not fresno st. Out of high school he was a blue chip prospect

Even though he was co mvp in his league after kentucky i'm sure that hurt his development to play in a league he was too good to play in

i see the dleague not as good as the nba but on par with college style basketball if not better from what i'm seen on tv

giddens needed the experience and will make the team and big a pretty big contributer next year especially if ray allen is not resigned.

Even though enthuthiasm sometimes can be mistaken for clumsyness and forgetting the small things on the court, i rather have that than getting a player big patrick obryant attitude any day.

Giddens will be good

Giddens NEVER went to Kentucky or Fresno State, out of HS he went to Kansas and then after some off court trouble transferred to New Mexico.

This team is in trouble if he is a big contributor next year, and also Ray Allen isnt a FA until AFTER next season, so i don't really know what you are getting at. JR will be behind Ray, House, and TA on the depth chart for SG next year so i doubt he sees much more action than he did this year and will probably be in the d league most of the year again.

I do think he eventually can be a ok player, defense and slashing is always of use to teams.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:16:11 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
so when do we develop young talent to replace our current starters? do we just ignore that and just keep signing 30+ year old backup bigs instead of trying out young talent (who by the way is just as good as the one we traded him away to make space for)
You really think that you can "develop" someone from our roster into a replacement for Garnett, Pierce, or Allen? Really?

This is not going to happen. We will sure need replacements for our starters, but that's not going to happen through "developping" Giddens, Walker, or anyone else we drafted in the 30s and later.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
the beauty of the big 3's contracts are: they are all max deals, and they all end right around the time the players stop being max players. that means, after next year, we have a max salary to throw around and land a top FA (since ray will be off the books - well, he might resign with us, but not at a max salary). the next year, its pierce. again, same situation...able to offer a top FA a max contract, maybe resign pierce at a bargain price. kg's is the year after that. so, basically, we can offer max contracts to guys to replace the big 3 as we move along, while possibly still keeping the big 3 on the team, albeit in a lesser state, as they won't be as good by then.

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
the beauty of the big 3's contracts are: they are all max deals, and they all end right around the time the players stop being max players. that means, after next year, we have a max salary to throw around and land a top FA (since ray will be off the books - well, he might resign with us, but not at a max salary). the next year, its pierce. again, same situation...able to offer a top FA a max contract, maybe resign pierce at a bargain price. kg's is the year after that. so, basically, we can offer max contracts to guys to replace the big 3 as we move along, while possibly still keeping the big 3 on the team, albeit in a lesser state, as they won't be as good by then.

Who's going to tell this guy the truth?

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 09:34:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Oh, I wish it was that easy, but unfortunately, its not that simple.  I would recommend that you take a look at this thread here, where the salary cap situation has been covered pretty thoroughly: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=20970.0

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80

This actually isnt true and has been brought up on this site ALOT, when Ray expires Rondo will have been re-signed and the Celts wont have nearly enough money for a big time FA. They COULD sign one in theory but it would mean they'd only be able to afford like 8 players, and about 3 or so of them would have to be minimum contract guys. Im not sure exactly how it works as its confusing lol, but its all in the link Chris gave above.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:55:03 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

Who's going to tell this guy the truth?
Idk what's going to happen in the next few years, but the only Celtic who has the drivers seat for another 5 years at least is Pierce. Pierce is the Larry Bird for this era's Celts, DA won't let him go and I doubt Pierce wants to go anywhere else. I've also wondered when Battie becomes a FA again....i'd love to see him in Boston again.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

Giddens will be good

Giddens NEVER went to Kentucky or Fresno State, out of HS he went to Kansas and then after some off court trouble transferred to New Mexico.

This team is in trouble if he is a big contributor next year, and also Ray Allen isnt a FA until AFTER next season, so i don't really know what you are getting at. JR will be behind Ray, House, and TA on the depth chart for SG next year so i doubt he sees much more action than he did this year and will probably be in the d league most of the year again.

I do think he eventually can be a ok player, defense and slashing is always of use to teams.

Canada huh? Almost made it...

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 10:46:54 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
This actually isnt true and has been brought up on this site ALOT, when Ray expires Rondo will have been re-signed and the Celts wont have nearly enough money for a big time FA. They COULD sign one in theory but it would mean they'd only be able to afford like 8 players, and about 3 or so of them would have to be minimum contract guys. Im not sure exactly how it works as its confusing lol, but its all in the link Chris gave above.
oh crap...forgot about the contract rondo's getting and the whole renouncing stuff. [dang it]...well, if ray/paul/kg decide to take the veterans minimum w/ us after their contracts are up, or they retire (i could totally see the latter happening with paul and kg, actually), then we would have a decent amount of money to use, right?

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 11:21:08 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Regarding Giddens, does he remind anybody else of Ronnie Brewer of the Jazz?  Long, very athletic, quick hands (although Brewer has a couple inches on Giddens).  Potential defensive stopper, but gambles too much at this point to deserve that label.  Both are very good finishers, giving them high FG% despite questionable jumpshots.  Both can be great rebounders from the SG position (Giddens may be a bit better).  Both subpar for guards at the charity stripe.

Now, this comes with the obvious caveat that Brewer is a successful player at the NBA level while Giddens has only succeeded in the DLeague thus far.  But doesn't Brewer look like an excellent best case comparison for Giddens?

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
He's improved his shooting substantially over the court of the summer and this season, including his FT accuracy,  which was a must.

He's still subpar.

His ability to read the court and make plays for others is excellent - i'd equate it to Delonte West in terms of him being a 2-guard that can find cutters and kick-out options when he gets himself in trouble - also very adept at dump-off/drop-off passes to bigs when he draws defensive attention from help defenders.

I don't see this.

Out of curiosity, what are you guys basing your assessments on?  Have you watched his D-league games?  (This isn't a sarcastic question).

In my case, yes, about half a dozen of them.

what are his stats for the post season and regular season in the d league?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=jr_giddens

Cordobes quoted for truth.

Two words for JR: Bench fodder.

And for the record, if Ainge fails to bring in a quality wing in the off-season who can defend and shoot from the perimeter, it'll be time to seriously ratchet up the discussion about his job performance. That failure would be inexcusable. Veteran wing help is a top off-season priority, along with an end to Danny's collection of 7-foot stiffs - oops, "low risk, no upside" bigs, and, again, a veteran point off the bench.

You and Cordobes must be identical twins... :)

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 11:53:51 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
He's improved his shooting substantially over the court of the summer and this season, including his FT accuracy,  which was a must.

He's still subpar.

His ability to read the court and make plays for others is excellent - i'd equate it to Delonte West in terms of him being a 2-guard that can find cutters and kick-out options when he gets himself in trouble - also very adept at dump-off/drop-off passes to bigs when he draws defensive attention from help defenders.

I don't see this.

Out of curiosity, what are you guys basing your assessments on?  Have you watched his D-league games?  (This isn't a sarcastic question).

In my case, yes, about half a dozen of them.

what are his stats for the post season and regular season in the d league?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=jr_giddens

Cordobes quoted for truth.

Two words for JR: Bench fodder.

And for the record, if Ainge fails to bring in a quality wing in the off-season who can defend and shoot from the perimeter, it'll be time to seriously ratchet up the discussion about his job performance. That failure would be inexcusable. Veteran wing help is a top off-season priority, along with an end to Danny's collection of 7-foot stiffs - oops, "low risk, no upside" bigs, and, again, a veteran point off the bench.

so when do we develop young talent to replace our current starters? do we just ignore that and just keep signing 30+ year old backup bigs instead of trying out young talent (who by the way is just as good as the one we traded him away to make space for)

I hate the idea that becuase he didn't sign particular people in th off-season means he did a good job, your off your rocker if you think this team wasn't well constructed when they win 60 despite all of the injury issues.

THAT is quoted for truth...

A veteran wing player is not a priority at all - its an option based off the development of Bill Walker and Giddens - if one of them leaves, bring on another wing - but getting a C/F and back PG are still the top priorities.

The market is ripe with options in the frontcourt and backcourt - wing is a position that is talent rich in the draft and most easily developed.

The team needs some young players to grow in the pipe line - not blindly, but with purpose - I think Ainge will evaluate Walker/Giddens during the off-season and in Summer League before making his final FA lists.

Getting another wing is also super easy to do leading up to the trade deadline - the team will have more movable contracts this year which will help to facilitate such a deal.

This team will look at C/F's right off the bat and will evaluate the backup PG situation and see where they can get some punch - i'd expect two players of high level experience and impressive resumes to come here this off-season.

Pierce and Allen weren't playing heavy minutes until the injuries started piling up 35-36 mpg of non-taxing play is hardly cause for calling for Ainge's head because of mis-management. A 60 win season despite all injuries, coupled with supplemental additions at two need areas AND the development of 5 key players is hardly something to balk at...

...but we're just going to argue about those points, so... :-X

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
First game of the finals is tonight, at 9pm catch the game live online from nba.com/dleague.

Here's an interview with Giddens though, which some might be interested in:
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700035876&#msg5700496843

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
who's watching tonight?