Author Topic: Toughest ever?  (Read 8551 times)

Toughest ever?
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:40:57 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Mods move this if you like...

There was an earlier thread that mentioned a couple legitimately tough guys in the NBA (Oakley comes to mind). I figured I'd pose the question to Celticsblog to spark some fun debate. I'm not even bothering with a poll here because there are just too many candidates. I'm very interested in the answers... Maybe a poll could come later.

Who is the physically toughest player in NBA history?

"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Toughest ever?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Artis Gilmore?

Yup

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
those in wilt chamberlain's generation said he was the most physically imposing player of his day...and he could easily compete in today's nba as well.

there are different categories of "toughness" - sheer size and strength...ability to play through pain...attitude & meanness...always showing up to play no matter what.

i suppose you could name players that fit each of these categories and they'd probably be different players, yet each of them would have a level of "toughness" about them.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I always respected Iverson and Stockton...

Iverson took every hit and kept getting up in his prime. He threw his body into every drive, and for that at least I respected him.

I LOVED the way John Stockton set picks. Meanest guy on the court when he was setting screens.

Plus, a list of tough guys that doesn't include Oak isn't for me.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
Sorry, wrong topic. =(

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
If you define tough as the ability to both take and give a blow then you have to with the big men. If, on the other hand you are looking at who can take the most punishment then that is another matter. AI takes a beating most games and just keeps coming. But, I think you probably mean the guy who can both take and give the most. Wilt is hard to argue against. I read recently that he bench pressed 465 pounds, an oh yeah, that was at age 60. He even said he could probably do a little more. As far as pure strength goes Wilt is probably still the strongest player to ever plaer. If you dont think that is true spend a little time looking on the net. Wilt had the strength the body up even Shaq and in fact was probably stronger the him. And, there is no doubt as to who the better athlete was.

Now, if we are talking about the ability to take a hit only then that is a different topic altogether but it sure isn't Maxiel.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
1. Moses Malone
2. Paul Silas
3. Bill Russell
4. Norm Van Lier
5. Ricky Mahorn
6. Dave Cowens

Chamberlain was immensely strong but he was too nice and sensitive a man to deal with Russell.  Wilt was a lover, not a fighter, and lacked the killer instinct that Russell had.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 10:16:39 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
 Andrew Toney of the '76ers in the 80's was the toughest guard i ever saw.He was a lockdown type of defender,always gave us fits when we played them.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Ok, Wilt may have been a lover and not a fighter but who do you think would win a battle between Moses and Wilt? Would Moses have taunted Wilt? Would he dunk on Wilt and then tell him how he would do it again? I remember reading an article about Magic's summer game, for charity or something, and anyway someone dunked on Wilt and then taunted him and Chamberlain said "there will be no more dunks in this gym today" and he was right. Now, there apparently were many NBA players that were at that time in the league and Wilt was not allowing dunks depite being at least 10 years their senior. I also read one time where a player described as "built like Barkely" dunked on Wilt and then taunted him and the next time he tried to dunk Wilt met him in mid air and took the ball out of his hand while pushing him backward in the air. The result was a dislocated shoulder for the guy trying to dunk on Wilt. I am not saying that the strongest guy is always the toughest but lets face it, who would you take in a fight over Wilt? How does that expression go "walk soft and carry a big stick"?

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:09:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Maurice Lucas

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 11:51:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Dave Cowens. Tough as a rusty nail.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 12:12:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline I Am A Boston Celtic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Larry Bird.....

He was always looking for a fight.

Remember that story about when he was at Indiana State and a fan of the other team jumped out of the crowd and grabbed onto him? Well Bird proceeded to punch the dude with both fists at once.....MAGICAL!!!

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Ok, Wilt may have been a lover and not a fighter but who do you think would win a battle between Moses and Wilt? Would Moses have taunted Wilt? Would he dunk on Wilt and then tell him how he would do it again? I remember reading an article about Magic's summer game, for charity or something, and anyway someone dunked on Wilt and then taunted him and Chamberlain said "there will be no more dunks in this gym today" and he was right. Now, there apparently were many NBA players that were at that time in the league and Wilt was not allowing dunks depite being at least 10 years their senior. I also read one time where a player described as "built like Barkely" dunked on Wilt and then taunted him and the next time he tried to dunk Wilt met him in mid air and took the ball out of his hand while pushing him backward in the air. The result was a dislocated shoulder for the guy trying to dunk on Wilt. I am not saying that the strongest guy is always the toughest but lets face it, who would you take in a fight over Wilt? How does that expression go "walk soft and carry a big stick"?

No one provoked Chamberlain.  That was stupid.  Instead, Russell would have Wilt over for dinner before the game.

Chamberlain lacked a certain type of mental toughness. Winning wasn't as important to him as it was to players like Russell and Cowens.