Author Topic: Red Sox Playoff Celebration  (Read 8048 times)

Red Sox Playoff Celebration
« on: September 24, 2008, 01:09:43 PM »

Offline Ben Pepper

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • Ben Pepper - kept under wraps since 1997
Does anyone think the Red Sox' playoff celebration(s) are a little excessive? I don't mean World Series and pennant-clinchers. I mean their champagne-infused Wild Card celebration Tuesday night.

That's akin to the Celtics drenching their locker room when they won the Atlantic Division or, because there are half as many teams in the MLB playoffs, having a huge celebration when they beat Atlanta in the first round last year.

This is just my perception, but if the C's ever did this kind of celebrating for just making the playoffs, they'd be ridiculed and criticized for being over-celebratory. What do you guys think?
With the 55th pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics select Ben Pepper, from Australia.

"I have never heard of Ben Pepper before." - Rick Majerus

Re: Red Sox Playoff Celebration
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
The season is 162 games so it probably is a little more important to them seeing all of their work for the past 7 months pay off. PLus, this team is a fun team and gets along so they're more likely to celebrae compared to another team.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I don't have a problem with baseball teams cutting lose when they clinch the playoffs.  They play more games than any other professional sport and fewer teams qualify for the "tournament".  It's a big deal and an amazing monkey off the back just to get in.

This team has dealt with a lot to get back to the postseason.  Let thm have their party.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I can see your point.  It does seem a little excessive.  But look at it this way.  Now that the Yankees are out of the playoffs, there isn't one team in the league that has made it to the postseason each of the last 3 years.  That shows that, no matter how you make it in, it's a big deal.

And I'm sure it wasn't like the team partied til all hours of the night.  They did a little celebrating on the field, then somre more in the locker room, then I'm sure they just went home and got ready for the next game.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In hockey and basketball 53% of the teams in the league make the post season and a bunch usually have below .500 records. In football 37% of the teams make the playoffs and usually a pretty bad team or two makes the post season. In baseball only 26% of the teams play in the playoffs and the season is twice as long as any other sport in regards to games played.

I think the mental grind of playing the sport is worse in baseball than in any other sport and I think these guys earn the right to celebrate entering each new phase of the playoffs. Baseball is the oldest professional team sport in America and up until the last twenty years or so it was only the best 4 teams in baseball that got to play in the postseason. The tradition of celebrating being only truly one of the best teams to make it into the tournament has lived on even though there are more teams that qualify to play and more teams playing.

I think it's pretty cool that baseball continues that tradition and that the teams that go on get a chance to blow some steam and to celebrate a successful year.

Or look at it this way, at least the Yankees aren't going to be celebrating this way this year. Hehehehe.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:06:07 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think they deserve it. making the playoffs in the MLB is a bigger deal than in any other sport, only 4 teams are in from the AL, and plus with all of the injuries over the past year, also them doing it without manny. this is a big year, homegrown players moving up into big roles (youk replacing manny in the four and possibly having a 30-100 year, pedroia is an MVP candidate, homegrown pitching-papelbon, masterson, lester, delcarmen-) i think they have alot to celebrate.

AND their celebrating the fact that they can defend there title, and possibly be the first team to repeat since the yankees in 99-00

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:35:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Mike Lowell addressed this really well in an interview last night.  He said that they had discussed last week whether they should even celebrate at all making the playoffs, and then he remembered his time with the Marlins.  It reminded him that they never know how many chances they will have to actually be in the playoffs like this, so they need to make the most of all of them.

I think Baseball is very different than the other sports since so many fewer teams make it into the playoffs after such a long season.  Where in the NBA, NHL, or NFL, it is not a huge accomplishment to make it to the playoffs, in MLB, it is such a rare thing for so many teams, that you can't take it for granted.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
personally, i think celebrating a wild card is lame.  the only time worth celebrating is when u win the championship.  i think being excited and having a "mini celebration" when u clinch a word series birth is acceptable, but celebrating making the playoffs is cheesy.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 03:01:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
personally, i think celebrating a wild card is lame.  the only time worth celebrating is when u win the championship.  i think being excited and having a "mini celebration" when u clinch a word series birth is acceptable, but celebrating making the playoffs is cheesy.

It really stems back to the days when "winning the pennant" meant everything.  One team from each league made it from each league and they squared off in the World Series.  The celebration is part of the tradition of baseball. 

If the Wild Card meant less than winning a Division by a greater degree than it currently does (no home field advantage is the only disadvantage), then you might see a diminished celebration for the WC. As it is, it's still a fine accomplishment in its own right, and we've seen plenty of Wild Cards win it all.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Wouldn't we all want to run around spraying people with champagne, drinking beers, and smoking cigars whenever we could?
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

It really stems back to the days when "winning the pennant" meant everything.  One team from each league made it from each league and they squared off in the World Series.  The celebration is part of the tradition of baseball. 

If the Wild Card meant less than winning a Division by a greater degree than it currently does (no home field advantage is the only disadvantage), then you might see a diminished celebration for the WC. As it is, it's still a fine accomplishment in its own right, and we've seen plenty of Wild Cards win it all.

i agree its a nice accomplishment, but running around celebrating is just tacky.  they won nothing......yet ;)

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
i agree its a nice accomplishment, but running around celebrating is just tacky.  they won nothing......yet ;)

No, this is tacky

Yup

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I'm really happy for the Sox.  I admit I wasn't so in to them this  year (at least not compared to last year.)  But I caught games when i could and started to pick up on it even more as the season began to wind down.

I never really understood the whole celebrating thing in baseball (and sports in general.)  I can't imagine how sticky and nasty their hair and clothes must be a few hours after they were throwing beer and champagne at each other.  Not to mention that they were running around in the cold weather with alcohol soaked shirts.  I like to party and have fun, but my idea of celebrating is very different from theirs.  I can't complain though, its led to some incredibly entertaining moments (Big Papi's goggles, Paplebon's dance, etc.)

Either way, I'm happy for them.  It's always fun when that energy is floating in the air, and the Predential lights up with "Lets Go Sox."  It should be a fun post-season!

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Don't you guys know?  They weren't celebrating because they made it to the playoffs.  They were celebrating because the Yankees missed it.
Baby Jesus!