Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 8260 times)

Re: Ryder Cup
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Great week of golf.  This was right up there with the US Open for best week of the year.  Nice to have the Cup back on American soil.

The US is set up nicely for a run like the Europeans just had.  We've got stars rising such as Kim and Mahan and the Euros are getting older and older.  We've got another 4 or 5 Cups with Phil and Tiger leading these young guys.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »

Offline ManchvegasBob

• Author
  • Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think having Kenny Perry and JB Holmes playing in front of their home state crowd can not be understated.  Those two went 4-1-2 and got the crowd going along with the lighter side provided by Anthony Kim and Boo Weekley.  And the captain's picks just kicked butt compared to the European's picks - Azinger knew what he was doing.  This team injected enthusiasm into the event and the crowd that gave them a home course advantage indeed.

I really enjoyed the win today, and didn't realize how bad it's been with 3 straight (and the last two were severe) losses since the USA won last in 1999 in the fabulous finish at Brookline MA. 

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Great weekend for American golf.  That crowd at Valhalla was great.  Just nice to finally see the US put together an enjoyable Ryder Cup.  It'd been too long.

Hats off to Zinger for putting together a masterful game plan.  Seemed to really hit on a lot of the pairings and I thought he was brillant at how he organized the singles today.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 10:35:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Fluke.

Congrats to the US squad, anyway. Things were getting boring.

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 07:04:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Fluke.

I don't know...  when the US goes out and leads after every round, I wouldn't call it a fluke.  They dominated Europe, start to finish.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 07:39:25 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Fluke.

5 points is quite a bit in a Ryder Cup.  The US outplayed the Euros.  Both hit a lot of great shots, the US holed a lot more putts which is what this event always comes down to.  Azinger outdid Faldo as a captain every way possible. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."