Author Topic: (Another) Perfect Night for the Sox  (Read 23501 times)

Re: Perfect Night for the Sox
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Bonds had a couple of months of slugging over 1.000 in `01

Steroids or not...has to be mentioned in hot streaks

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=bondsba01&year=2001

right, but that was during his "hr or bust! " days.

while impressive, im talking about pure hitters more than HR or out guys.

TP to nick, that rice streak sounds ridiculous

as to his MVP chances, if he keeps hitting like this through sept, i don't see how he's not the front runner.

in my mind, right now there's only 4 AL cannadites (which is sad for the AL, good for post roids baseball heh)

1. hamilton- great year, but i can't give it to a guy who's team is terrable, sorry josh.

2. Quillen- the onyl real comptition, doing incredible things for the white sox, better power.

3. k rod- count me among those who think that saves are overrated. give him the cy young over lee if you want to reward him, no MVP for a guy who played in 60 innings or so all eyar.

4. dustin.

out of those 4, only dustin and quil are realistic canadtes in my mind.

another crazy month, and i think dustin takes it.
I'm no fan of Bonds, but homer binge or not, the sheer #'s were ridiculous.

Rice's streak was huge.  His 406 TBs that year was  the only 400 TB season for a span of something like 40 years (before all of the silly home runs seasons of the 90's and early 2K's).  Rice was the guy I tried to be when I got up to bat as a kid.  I wanted to be #14 whenever possible.

What I love most about Pedroia's streak has been the accompanying attitude and how the team has taken to it.

you got dustin as your AL mvp right now, objectivly?

the objetive baseball fan in me still has quillen ahead, but only by a nose.

teh red sox fan in me has petey ahead by leaps and bounds  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

as to his MVP chances, if he keeps hitting like this through sept, i don't see how he's not the front runner.

in my mind, right now there's only 4 AL cannadites (which is sad for the AL, good for post roids baseball heh)

1. hamilton- great year, but i can't give it to a guy who's team is terrable, sorry josh.

2. Quillen- the onyl real comptition, doing incredible things for the white sox, better power.

3. k rod- count me among those who think that saves are overrated. give him the cy young over lee if you want to reward him, no MVP for a guy who played in 60 innings or so all eyar.

4. dustin.

Blasphemous! Erroneous! Shenanigans! Traveshamockery!

How dare you ignore the M&M boys from Minnesota and include a closer that is having a "historical" year by luck, chance, and average pitching by today's closer standards!  How on earth Carlos Quentin (who I still think is the MVP... and assume who you mean when saying "Quillen") is "more valuable" to a team full of boppers than Justin Morneau - the only big producer on the league's 2nd biggest surprise (behind the Rays)- is beyond me.  And how anyone can not say Joe Mauer - #2 in OBP, #3 in BA, leading about every big category for AL catchers by a mile, and oh yeah... maybe the best and most well rounded defensive backstop in the game - is at least a contender?!? 

Blasphemous! Erroneous! Shenanigans! Traveshamockery!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

4. dustin.

I'm no fan of Bonds, but homer binge or not, the sheer #'s were ridiculous.

Rice's streak was huge.  His 406 TBs that year was  the only 400 TB season for a span of something like 40 years (before all of the silly home runs seasons of the 90's and early 2K's).  Rice was the guy I tried to be when I got up to bat as a kid.  I wanted to be #14 whenever possible.

What I love most about Pedroia's streak has been the accompanying attitude and how the team has taken to it.

you got dustin as your AL mvp right now, objectivly?

the objetive baseball fan in me still has quillen ahead, but only by a nose.

teh red sox fan in me has petey ahead by leaps and bounds  :D

You mean Quentin?   (Quillen is a hybrid of the player and the coach ;) )

Sure, I guess he's deserving.  Lately it seems to come down to who's team does better.  If the Sox get in and Chicago doesn't who knows?  It would be a great story if Pedroia wins the MVP.

And as for K-Rod (he was mentioned somewhere in this thread)...As gaudy as his saves total is, take a look at the year Mariano Rivera is having.  His #'s stack up pretty well with Eckersley's MVP season.  It's pretty amazing.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
... take a look at the year Mariano Rivera is having.  His #'s stack up pretty well with Eckersley's MVP season.  It's pretty amazing.

For a third place team.  8)

(It makes me smile to add things like that.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
... take a look at the year Mariano Rivera is having.  His #'s stack up pretty well with Eckersley's MVP season.  It's pretty amazing.

For a third place team.  8)

(It makes me smile to add things like that.)

No doubt.  Happy to see the Yanks sucking wind and all, but his #'s are insane this year.

Gotta love the Yanks playing spoiler for the Sox last night.

Dinger for Dustin today.  Can the Sox rally?

Yup

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
All tied up!

MVP MVP MVP
Yup

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
All tied up!

MVP MVP MVP

If the award goes to what player carries his team down the stretch, while also putting up great numbers...  what better option is there?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
All tied up!

MVP MVP MVP

If the award goes to what player carries his team down the stretch, while also putting up great numbers...  what better option is there?

The Kotsay pickup has been nice too.  Big hit for him today.  I

It just seems like getting rid of Manny ended the last of the "Cowboy Up / Idiot" Sox.  They now have a bunch of "play the right way" kinda guys - who happen to be talented as well.  That's a nice combo to see jelling in a team.
Yup

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Wow.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times.  There's nothing in sports quite like a hot baseball team!  It's just crazy what happens to a baseball team when things are going well (and vice/versa).

Yup

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
how about coco's bunt off the pebble???  wow, things are def going the sox way right now...

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
The Red Sox are playing the pathetic Baltimore Orioles. They should be beating them.

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And now they go play a team that they just scored like 36 runs against in their last three game set with them, the Texas Rangers. That should keep the team nice and hot for Tampa when they come to town next week.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The Red Sox are playing the pathetic Baltimore Orioles. They should be beating them.

They're beating them up without four of their superstars in Youk, Drew, Lowell, and Beckett.  Granted the Rays have some injury problems of their own, but if the Sox were healthy all season, there's little doubt in my mind that they would have the best record in baseball.  If they get healthy come playoff time, they should be able to repeat. 

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
All tied up!

MVP MVP MVP

I'm not sure there is a more deserving player in the AL this year.  No one on the Angels or Rays really stand out, and the Sox are the next best team record wise.  The two guys mentioned are Quinton and Moreneu, who are on teams that aren't quite as good.  DP has been the most important guy on the team this year, the only one who has been consistently good the whole year.  He only lacks elite power numbers (although his are pretty good for a 2nd basemen and sometimes lead off man).  At any rate, he is top 3, which is quite an accomplishment for such a young player.

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 12:40:38 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Things are definitely coming together at the right time.  I wish we didn't have an off day with how hot they are, but hopefully Beckett can keep the momentum.  This stretch is the first time that I've though they have looked like a championship team all year.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."