Author Topic: lack of big men rant (CB draft)  (Read 7554 times)

lack of big men rant (CB draft)
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
there just aren't enough big men, especially centers right now for the draft. everyone is looking to obtain one, but no one is willing to give one up. i am fed up with this.  >:(

bill russell needs to come out of retirement.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:45:48 PM by Redz »

Become Legendary.

Re: lack of big men rant.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Their's gotta be some Kurt Thomas, Theo Ratliff, or PJ Brown around somewhere!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:11:53 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Got to pick your spots. I got Varejao, Oberto and Ratliff in the 7th, 8th and 12th rounds.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
uhh i'm looking for starting centers, not half/fully retired ones...

Become Legendary.

Re: lack of big men rant (CB draft)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
That's why you have to reach for one early.  The C you get may not be great, but he will be a solid part of your lineup.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:40:07 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
The lack of available quality big men is another justification for the Celtic's attempting to develop their own.  Thus the signing of Patrick O'Bryant as well as  their 60th selection in the 2008 draft. Pundits have heavily criticized Danny for having "reached" for these struggling centers without reflecting on our need to "cultivate" our own projects.

Big men take time to develop...an often repeated "excuse" for placing confidence in UNPOLISHED centers with a possible upside...but the road to success is necessarily a hazardous one when it comes to productive centers.

Danny has, in effect, looked for size, athleticism and at least one positive asset (defense, offense?) in his search for a future center. 

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The lack of available quality big men is another justification for the Celtic's attempting to develop their own.  Thus the signing of Patrick O'Bryant as well as  their 60th selection in the 2008 draft. Pundits have heavily criticized Danny for having "reached" for these struggling centers without reflecting on our need to "cultivate" our own projects.

Big men take time to develop...an often repeated "excuse" for placing confidence in UNPOLISHED centers with a possible upside...but the road to success is necessarily a hazardous one when it comes to productive centers.

Danny has, in effect, looked for size, athleticism and at least one positive asset (defense, offense?) in his search for a future center. 

In real life, there were some C that could step in an be the backup that were not projects.

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

If you want a starting center like Big Z or Chris Kaman then yeah, you're out of luck. But looking at your squad, who says you can't be a little undersized/weak at the 5? Guys like Darko, or Tony Battie (assuming he's healthy, which I don't), or Mikki Moore would do what you need to without making you just demolish your squad.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:04:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

If you want a starting center like Big Z or Chris Kaman then yeah, you're out of luck. But looking at your squad, who says you can't be a little undersized/weak at the 5? Guys like Darko, or Tony Battie (assuming he's healthy, which I don't), or Mikki Moore would do what you need to without making you just demolish your squad.

1) Tony is healthy.

2) What makes you think I'd trade him without making zerophase demolish his squad? ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 10:11:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

1) Tony is healthy.

2) What makes you think I'd trade him without making zerophase demolish his squad? ;)

AP-New Trailblazers reserve Tony Battie was recently cleared by medical staff....to play Xbox360. Laughing, a source within the team said "Basketball? No he's not ready to play basketball!". However, an ever positive Tony Battie admitted "Its good to have my life back. Soul Caliber 2 is out, and I have heard great things about Call of Duty 4, but have not yet been able to play online."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Hey its a solid rotation. Sure its center by committee but they were all decent last year. At the very least its better than a Diekembe/POB combo.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:14:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

1) Tony is healthy.

AP-New Trailblazers reserve Tony Battie was recently cleared by medical staff....to play Xbox360. Laughing, a source within the team said "Basketball? No he's not ready to play basketball!". However, an ever positive Tony Battie admitted "Its good to have my life back. Soul Caliber 2 is out, and I have heard great things about Call of Duty 4, but have not yet been able to play online."

Soul Caliber IV. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
i have Dalmebert, Sheed, Booth and Koufos.
Haven't noticed a lack at all.

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:52:50 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

in round 12?

i mean, there aren't really 32 of em, i almost reached the 3rd round and regretted i didn't. ended up taking spencer hawes, who was one of the best left in round 5 :/
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
i don't really mind myself not snagging a proper center, because brand can play center, but it was just a rant i had to make pertaining to the lack of centers as well as the over value of someone who's 7 feet tall.

Become Legendary.