Author Topic: Manny to the Dodgers  (Read 40711 times)

Re: Manny to the Dodgers
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Brandon Moss is not a prize. He's a 4th or 5th outfielder on a good team.

There's no guarantee Hansen becomes Joe Nathan, or even Shiraldi the way things are going.

I'm not going to take sides on the whole Manny/FO clash, but it had become fact based on both sides comments and actions that a divorce was necessary.

We've improved our situation greatly for this season and for next, not to mention at almost a third of the cost.

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Absolute addition by subtraction.  When Manny didn't take his bat off his shoulder against the Yanks in the pinch-hit situation, I knew thing were for all intents and purposes over then.

Wife and I are headed to KC next week for the series.  Last time we were there she elbowed me every time Manny grabbed his crotch.....So I'll be infinitely less sore this year.

And good for Torre to have a long-time tormentor on his side.  Torre is a nice guy.  Hopefully Manny plays hard for him.

If Bay can hit in Boston, this is a great deal.  If Laroche plays better alongside his brother, it will be good for all three teams.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nevermind.  Wrong guy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
O happy day!

What a beautiful day to be a Dodgers fan  ;D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Dodgers don't give up squat here.

There has to be more to it. 

Laroche is a top level prospect.  They didn't pay a ton, but they did pay for it.

Laroche has been a top level prospect for a few years now.  His numbers were down last year from '06 and he's only been so-so this season.  Hitting .265.  Plus he'll be 29 years old in November.  Not exactly up and coming in my mind. 

Andy Laroche not Adam Laroche...Andy will only be 25.

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Laroche is a top level prospect.  They didn't pay a ton, but they did pay for it.

Laroche has been a top level prospect for a few years now.  His numbers were down last year from '06 and he's only been so-so this season.  Hitting .265.  Plus he'll be 29 years old in November.  Not exactly up and coming in my mind. 

Andy Laroche not Adam Laroche...Andy will only be 25.

Yeah, just edited.

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
O happy day!

-sw

As a Sox fan, I'm a bit stunned. They'll miss hit bat in the fall. oh well.

As a Dodger fan, I'm really excited!!!

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
O happy day!

-sw

Jason Bay is no slouch. He's actually a really solid all around player.

It's surprising they didn't get some bullpen help in the deal however.

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

As a Dodger Fan (in addition to Sox fan), Laroche kept struggling to make the leap. They've brought him up a couple times and he's struggled. Sincere skepticism that he was ever going to make the leap.

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
The long time Sox fans on sonsofsamhorn seem happier about this trade then I feel. They say it was good and the best Theo could do. They say the cost controlled nature of the Bay contract next year is a big plus. They say by him not caving and trading Moss earlier, it enabled us to get Bay later. They even show stats on how we actually get a plus 2 in wins with addition of Bay.

I believe we are attached to Manny since we won 2 World Series with him. Him and Papi were feared but I guess it is time to move on.

My feeling is that Manny will thrive in the LA market. I lived there for a bunch of years and his personality is tailor made for there. Torre will also get the most of him as well.

If what they are saying is true, and our whole team was anti Manny, maybe this will bring them together. All for 1, One For all syndrome...

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
The long time Sox fans on sonsofsamhorn seem happier about this trade then I feel. They say it was good and the best Theo could do. They say the cost controlled nature of the Bay contract next year is a big plus. They say by him not caving and trading Moss earlier, it enabled us to get Bay later. They even show stats on how we actually get a plus 2 in wins with addition of Bay.

I believe we are attached to Manny since we won 2 World Series with him. Him and Papi were feared but I guess it is time to move on.

My feeling is that Manny will thrive in the LA market. I lived there for a bunch of years and his personality is tailor made for there. Torre will also get the most of him as well.

If what they are saying is true, and our whole team was anti Manny, maybe this will bring them together. All for 1, One For all syndrome...

I have no problem with Bay.  I do feel it was probably time for Manny and the Sox to part ways.

The issue I have is if Bay is all the Sox received in return.  I would like to see a prospect or something come Boston's way also. 

Dodgers give up two prospects and get Manny? 

Sox give up Manny plus Hansen & Moss and possibly paying $7 million on top of that?   And all they get is Bay?

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Let's face it, it was addition by subtraction, and they did everything they could to (and paid a premium) to do it without losing much in the way of production.

This was a classic Red Sox/Yankees move.  In pure value, this is not a great move, but the Sox can easily afford it both in money and prospects, because they felt they couldn't just "punt" and trade Manny straight up for prospects.

This deal does not excite me...but it does make a lot of sense.

Not to mention, we kept Bay from going to Tampa, which also helps us in the race this year.

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
O happy day!

-sw

solid just doesn't cut it when you are replacing one of the best hitters ever.....and is anybody else bothered by the lack of diversity on this team?

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 05:28:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
O happy day!

-sw

solid just doesn't cut it when you are replacing one of the best hitters ever.....and is anybody else bothered by the lack of diversity on this team?

Lack of diversity?  You're surely not talking about racial makeup?  Right?

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Sox would have let Manny walk after this year and gotten nothing in return, this way they get rid of him now and get an All-Star level 30+ HR guy in return, they did have to give up some young guys, but nothing that really bothers me. I like the trade for this year and for next year - Bay makes around 7 million next year, so there's 13 million to add something else via free agency... Bay's #s this year are almost identical to Manny's...
Now, on to 18...