Author Topic: Manny to the Dodgers  (Read 40706 times)

Re: Manny to the Dodgers
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2008, 08:57:25 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Sox would have let Manny walk after this year and gotten nothing in return, this way they get rid of him now and get an All-Star level 30+ HR guy in return, they did have to give up some young guys, but nothing that really bothers me. I like the trade for this year and for next year - Bay makes around 7 million next year, so there's 13 million to add something else via free agency... Bay's #s this year are almost identical to Manny's...

Manny may have been a hitting savant, but his act was getting old in Boston.
I was really shocked by his conceit in saying that the Red Sox don't "DESERVE" a player like him.
I mean how pompous is that?

If we were giving away Manny in his prime... maybe I'd get more upset about losing him.
But let's face it, the guy is 35 and he is no longer that 40-50 HR per season player.
Bay's production is actually slightly BETTER than Manny's right now, not to mention that Bay is younger, a better fielder, and not CRAZY.
That's a tradeoff I'm willing to take.

Also, because Bay makes a lot less money than Manny, the freed up money for 2009 is going to be huge.
The Red Sox can really go after a premier FA then.
Whereas if they had picked up Manny's option, that's 20M of salary NOT going to improving the team in other areas.

Red Sox didn't get as much in return as I'd like, but they got rid of a malcontent and got back a quality LF who is still in his prime.  Overall, this is a win for Boston imo.

I'm a big Bay fan, having seen him play several times when I lived in Pittsburgh.  He's an all around solid player who will only benefit from having some protection in the lineup.  I think he'll put up better numbers in Boston; provided he can deal with the pressure and other factors that make Fenway difficult to play in.

At the same time, this move frees up a lot of money that can be used to make a run at Teixeira or Dunn
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2008, 10:29:52 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It's a valid argument when people bring up that Bay might actually hit better in our lineup (which by the way, isn't all that fearsome IMO).

But it is also valid for one to argue the reverse. Bay could hit worse in our lineup trying to play in our market, on our grand stage, and "replacing" Manny Ramirez.

Also, I could argue and I am going to that Manny wasn't even focused this year and his numbers are still comparable to Jason Bay.

Imagine had Manny actually been focused on hitting and not on his contract?

I think in the month of July he was getting back to focusing on baseball....the man was wrecking the baseball this past month...obviously to showcase his hitting skills for his possible new teams.

In the last 28 days, Manny was hitting .391 with  4 HRs and 16 RBIs in just 64 ABs. His OBP/SLG/OPS was .512/.672/1.184.

Manny's June numbers are not as great...they are Jason Bay number, after all. 

« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2008, 10:39:39 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
It's a valid argument when people bring up that Bay might actually hit better in our lineup (which by the way, isn't all that fearsome IMO).

But it is also valid for one to argue the reverse. Bay could hit worse in our lineup trying to play in our market, on our grand stage, and "replacing" Manny Ramirez.

Also, I could argue and I am going to that Manny wasn't even focused this year and his numbers are still comparable to Jason Bay.

Imagine had Manny actually been focused on hitting and not on his contract?

I think in the month of July he was getting back to focusing on baseball....the man was wrecking the baseball this past month...obviously to showcase his hitting skills for his possible new teams.

In the last 28 days, Manny was hitting .391 with  4 HRs and 16 RBIs in just 64 ABs. His OBP/SLG/OPS was .512/.672/1.184.

Manny's June numbers are not as great...they are Jason Bay number, after all. 

If you're arguing that Manny wasn't focused this year, you're not really making an argument to keep the guy.  Not being focused because you're kid is sick in the hospital is understandable.  Not being focused because you're wondering where your next pay check is coming from is not.

Manny is one of the greatest hitters of his generation, but he's not the same hitter that he used to be, and his antics are getting old for his teammates, which is reflective in their poor performance of late.  They may have got worse in terms of talent, but the Red Sox did just become a better "team".  Whether that translates in the standings is yet to be seen.  But one thing is for sure, they can't do any worse than they have the last few weeks.